Thread: Crampons

Default Crampons

What crampons are you all using for alpine hunting? Last season I used some ancient milsurp "ice spikes", but they're bent and warped beyond repair at this point. I'm looking for something a bit more rugged this year. Any thoughts on Kahtoola microspikes?

I use caulk boots.

Petzl crab 6. Not a tremendous amount of experience with them but they work vary well for steep alpine and woods. Still have your toes for rocky areas. Overall I like them a lot.

Hillsound cypress 6

Four point instep, can't remember who makes them, cmi, smi something like that. Light ad strong but I can still use my toes.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Petzl makes a 6 point instep and Salewa and CMI makes a 4 point instep. Personally i don't like the instep crampons. I use the Kahtoola aluminum crampons and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Hillsound cypress 6

Same I bought a pair for Montague last deer season and they did wonderful !!! and only cost $50
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Four point instep, can't remember who makes them, cmi, smi something like that. Light ad strong but I can still use my toes.
    Same same same

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    Petzl crab 6. Not a tremendous amount of experience with them but they work vary well for steep alpine and woods. Still have your toes for rocky areas. Overall I like them a lot.
    I wear stubai 6 points which look the same as the petzl crab.

http://www.stubai-bergsport.com/cram...yYWc9NjE2.html

I also have 12 point crampons but I avoid wearing them, they really slow you down.

I have had good luck with the Kahtoola microspikes. I wouldn't use them for ice climbing, but they have worked well for me in high alpine and glacier crossings. I commonly recommend them to friends.

I'm wearing Scarpa GTX boots so I went full bail, only wear them when things start freezing up in goat country. It is a pain taking them off when making a stalk, but I never slip getting up there.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...inless#start=6

I too use 4-point instep crampons for goat hunting. In my perspective, while Kahtoola microspikes have some use on ice, they don't really help in slick, rotting vegetation. I find that I have far more problems with rotting plants than I do with ice or snow, so crampons are the obvious choice when looking for traction in the mountains.

I have been using the Kahtoola k10s for the last two years for deer hunting steep stuff and they have been excellent, especially on steep frozen ground with no snow. I am curious to try the instep ones as well, but I am very pleased with the k10's. I have the steel but they also come in aluminum IIRC.

Over the last 15 plus years I have used many forms of crampons. I started first with the 4 point instep ones, on a goat hunt with AK Nimrod. We were about 4-5 days into the hunt (rain, rain, rain, and rain covered moss everywhere). Once I put them on, they almost never came off until I was back on a boat. Worth there weight in gold. I wore them on hikes year round if there was any kind of slippery. They do great in all conditions, even solid rock surfaces. I upgraded to the six point style...they just add to spikes on the heel. These later ones are about the same weight and out perform the 4 points every time you head down a hill surface. I have not used the 4 points since getting the 6 points, period. I now use the Kahatoola KTS spikes, which are a 3/4 inch crampon, the Micro Spikes are like 3/8 inch and are meant for simple ice surface and will do almost nothing on mud and moss IMHO. The KTS really are a big time game changer for me. I wear them when I climb Lazy Mountain any time of year (I hike in the winter a lot).

Down side of any sole support...they tend to "roll" and they go into the instep region; if you don't catch it in time, they will shred your pants. Moral, whatever you get, make sure the system holding them to your boots will stay put. The bottom plate helps a ton for this IMHO. My 6 pointers have a rigid plastic strap that goes from the heel to about my instep, and they never roll.

Long and short of it, I personally will never go hunting at elevation without something to strap on my feet. It doesn't matte if I am wearing rigid Koflach Boots or my Merrill low tops, I put on a traction device. I love my KTS spikes, I use the Micro spike system hiking the Butte all winter (glare ice), and the 6 point system is my back up that is light and easy to pack. Whatever you choose, it will be BETTER than any plain sole in my experiences :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I have been using the Hillsound Trail Pro crampons this winter. Only a few bucks more than the Cypress 6. I found that I walk/hike on my toes in my Lowa boots and needed points up front when on ice, which the Cypress 6 would not give me. The Trail Pro might be a little too bulky for backpack hunting in alpine vegetation.

BD Cyborg footfangs. I won't go with less.