Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: do you think this new cartridge will take off?

Default do you think this new cartridge will take off?

i've read about the 26 nosler. ( www.26nosler.com) it seems like a decent long range round. a little better than a .264win and some pretty impressive numbers both in velocity and energy. looks like it would be a good long range gun for sheep,deer, and certainly larger animals. what do you guys think...good new round or nothing really that amazing about it. the "flat to 415" claim is silly because thats with a 350 yard zero...most magnum cartridges can do that almost as flat with a larger bullet but i guess compared to the .270 and -06' its got quite an advantage with less drop. anyways i dont think it will revolutionize long range hunting anytime soon but what are your thoughts.

Doesn't really matter so much what the rounds capabilities are. More important is a catchy name and smart marketing...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...and smart marketing...
    Dat sezz itall.

No. Look at the 338 federal, various Rum calibers and will guess the Ruger calibers both rifle and handgun. With one or two exceptions they failed. Good ideas, some even good cartridges, but the faught the status quo. Look at ammo companies right now. 9mm,45 auto, 223 and 308 do you think they could make the 26 before making more 06?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

It will probably have a small cult following. With Nosler at the helm, their pricing will keep it from getting very popular. Not many average Joes will be buying one.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Nosler will keep it alive since they make the ammo much the same way they'll keep the .280AI alive since they petitioned the SAAMI acceptance of it. Companies tend to keep the cartridges living with their name in it.

Is it revolutionary? Hardly. Interesting? Certainly. Popular? Probably not.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

We had a discussion a bit ago on a another thread about it and I agree about the 350 yd zero- makes most rifles look pretty impressive. I have nothing against the round but Nosler rifles aren't cheap and it really does seem like marketing to me. Some Weatherby's shoot as flat/flatter and then you have Ultramags and other wildcats that can do better.....

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    We had a discussion a bit ago on a another thread about it and I agree about the 350 yd zero- makes most rifles look pretty impressive. I have nothing against the round but Nosler rifles aren't cheap and it really does seem like marketing to me. Some Weatherby's shoot as flat/flatter and then you have Ultramags and other wildcats that can do better.....
    agreed prob more marketing than anything. sorry i figured it was posted but didnt see the thread. my bad if its already been discussed.

To me its the same old coming of the same old same old. The 25-06 and 257WBY are outstanding rounds as is the 270Wby so why this round? Just my .02. It really does not offer much that is not available already. Kind of like the .45GAP.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    ....so why this round? Just my .02. It really does not offer much that is not available already...
    Because mindless consumers always want something "new and better", even if it's really just a plagiarized 100 year old cartridge with a new name slapped on it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Don't see what it has over, say the old wwI 03-A3 springfield that I turned into a 25-06 back in the early 60's. Sure it was a wildcat back then, but was put into production later and I am sure some of this new stuff does not kill any faster or farther. Still shoots great.
    Do not understand all these new cal. have over the older stuff? Just a $ marketing gig. Again just my thoughts.
    Goo

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Nosler will keep it alive since they make the ammo much the same way they'll keep the .280AI alive since they petitioned the SAAMI acceptance of it. Companies tend to keep the cartridges living with their name in it.

Is it revolutionary? Hardly. Interesting? Certainly. Popular? Probably not.
    Rye,Toe.

Nosler will keep it alive, because they have an investment to recover.

But, it won't "Take Off".

Maybe, the bullet makers like Nosler, are hedging their bets, because if Lead Bullets are banned for most uses, they will be left with only their MONO bullets. They will need other products, if they wanna stay in business.

What's next? How bout a Nosler AR? Or, have they done that already.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What's next? How bout a Nosler AR? Or, have they done that already.

Smitty of the North
    Yep…a couple of years ago.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    agreed prob more marketing than anything. sorry i figured it was posted but didnt see the thread. my bad if its already been discussed.
    No bad at all! I was bothered by the ad in a magazine claiming 'flat to 415yds' when the zero was so much farther than most people zero their guns. That is when I started plugging in numbers and found others were as flat or flatter so it seemed like a gimmick with marketing.

I have fallen for the latest and greatest as well but my favorite rifle cartridges have been around for a century!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    No bad at all! I was bothered by the ad in a magazine claiming 'flat to 415yds' when the zero was so much farther than most people zero their guns. That is when I started plugging in numbers and found others were as flat or flatter so it seemed like a gimmick with marketing.

I have fallen for the latest and greatest as well but my favorite rifle cartridges have been around for a century!
    That's what marketing is. Gimmickry.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

They are marketing it with the 129gr long range accubond. All they did was make a 6.5 wsm which has been around awhile and is popular with the long range shooting crowd. That gunsmith out in Palmer his last name is Moffat has a 6.5 wsm his son was talking about it on one of the forums. The 25 calibers the downside the bullets available do not have the b.c the 6.5 bullets have. The 264 win mag you need a 26 inch tube to get its full potential and retumbo the other bad the 264 win mag is prone to pressure spikes ie pressure curve comes real quick.

Actually, the 26 Nosler has a good bit more capacity than a 6.5 WSM. It has a little more capacity then a 300 Dakota.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Actually, the 26 Nosler has a good bit more capacity than a 6.5 WSM. It has a little more capacity then a 300 Dakota.
    I read the parent case is supposedly the 375 Ruger case. I suspect nosler didn't want to mess with 6.5 wsm because Jamison (the gun writer) patented the wsm idea. Anyhow nosler took a relative new case and necked it down, no royalties to be paid.

Actually, it's based on the .404 Jeffery, like the RUM's, Dakota's and WSM's. It's closest to the RUMS's in base and shoulder diameters and closest to the 300 Dakota in vloume, slightly more.

http://static.squarespace.com/static...sler_SAAMI.pdf
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Rumor has it that Nosler will develop 270, 7mm and 30 cal versions.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast