Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: just bought a house in Alaska

Default just bought a house in Alaska

Hello All. I just bout a house in Alaska, but still reside in CT (for now). Can i purchase a handgun in AK with a CT permit?

You should really take a moment to review the Alaska laws on purchasing and owning firearms.

Thanks, and Yes i've read it, but I'm still not clear. My permanent residence is in CT, I will not have an Alaska drivers license or ID, only CT. I know they recognize my CT permit to carry, even though you don't need one to carry open or concealed. Am i missing something?

You can only buy a hand gun in the state you reside in .You will need a AK id to buy one here .

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    You can only buy a hand gun in the state you reside in .You will need a AK id to buy one here .
    Thanks, thats what i thought.

Brokeeye is correct
    Just owning a home in the state does not make you a RES of the state, in AK and with any other state you have to be a RES of that state in order to buy a pistol legally in that state.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

No, you must have proof of Alaska resadency for handguns. You can buy long guns on your out of state ID but the sale must comply with all the laws in CT . . . As long as CT is your resadency state your kind of stuck with their stupid gun laws for buying guns.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Is there a reason you "have" to buy in it AK? Could you just buy it where it's legal for you and then bring/store it in AK?

I can't speak in regards to Alaskan law, but the ATF is clear that one can have dual residency. You would be able to purchase a handgun in AK, if there is nothing in AK law prohibiting it. You simply need to take a few simple steps to show that you intend to establish part time residency in that state. This can be achived by registering a car in that state or by paying taxes there. Please see ATF ruling in regards to this matter below. The most difficult part will be finding a dealer who will actually sell to you because most are not aware of this, as evidenced by the responses that you got here. After initially writing this, I skimed over the AK laws and don't see anything which you stop you.

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations...ing-2010-6.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    No, you must have proof of Alaska resadency for handguns. You can buy long guns on your out of state ID but the sale must comply with all the laws in CT . . . As long as CT is your resadency state your kind of stuck with their stupid gun laws for buying guns.
    Yes, we do have illogical stupid gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Is there a reason you "have" to buy in it AK? Could you just buy it where it's legal for you and then bring/store it in AK?
    Yes, i can bring mine out with me, but i can't fly out of NY airports because of their "illogical stupid" gun laws either. So i have to drive north to Hartford CT airport and fly out of their. Which can cost upwards of $500 more. Its irritating to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehammer View Post
    Yes, i can bring mine out with me, but i can't fly out of NY airports because of their "illogical stupid" gun laws either. So i have to drive north to Hartford CT airport and fly out of their. Which can cost upwards of $500 more. Its irritating to say the least.
    Ship them!

The ATF has also ruled that it is legal for a non licensee to ship a firearm interstate from themselves to themselves. The bigest problem is getting the service to accept it. Fedex is the easiest. Getting a C&R FFL resolves the issue with UPS because they have a policy that states that they accept shipments from FFL licensees

I've never been asked to produce a gun permit in Boston if that helps you. I fly though Boston with guns approximately 4 times a year.

State law really isn't a problem here. Federal law is what will prevent you from purchasing a handgun in Alaska. That being said, if you can provide proof of residency in Alaska then there shouldn't be a problem. As was stated earlier in the thread, a handgun may only be purchased in the state you reside in. I would recommend getting an Alaska drivers license with your Alaska home address when you arrive here. That will solve the "problem".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    State law really isn't a problem here. Federal law is what will prevent you from purchasing a handgun in Alaska. That being said, if you can provide proof of residency in Alaska then there shouldn't be a problem. As was stated earlier in the thread, a handgun may only be purchased in the state you reside in. I would recommend getting an Alaska drivers license with your Alaska home address when you arrive here. That will solve the "problem".
    Can you do that? Get an Ak drivers license as well as having a CT drivers license?

BTW, as an aside. What a pain in the butt.

Or buy a handgun face-to-face from a private seller and live your life free from oppression.

Can you do that? Get an Ak drivers license as well as having a CT drivers license?

No you cannot legally hold a drivers license in AK and CT at the same time.
    I can see why one would want to leave the East coast though.
    They are getting knucking futz on their gun laws out that way.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

No you can only have one or the other DL but you can drive in CT with an AK license.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast