Thread: Mice in the roof

Default Mice in the roof

Mice or some other small rodent (not squirrels) have decided to take up residence in the roof of our cabin. There is no attic, just insulation between the rafters and an 1.5 air gap between the top of the insulation and the under side of the roof sheathing. I'm not sure how they are getting in there. We screened off the openings for the venting when we built the roof, and near as I can tell from the ground, that is still intact.

Any ideas on evicting these guys without tearing the ceiling apart?

Try to blow dart some moth balls into the area. I used some 1/2" conduit to blow some into the shed roof once and got some squirrels to move out.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

snap traps all around the cabin baited with a variety of things cheese peanut butter apple they travel a lot put the traps in closets in crawlspace etc. Try not to use poison they will eat it crawl into a hard to get to space and stink for a couple of months.

Live trap a couple of weasels (preferably the least weasel).... The will take care of the vermin....

While a mouse eating weasel would be great, I think I'll try the mothballs in combination with traps. It's a weekend cabin and live trapping a weasel ain't likely and I wouldn't expect one to hang around after I let it out anyway.

Weasels are hard to control. I was kinda joking when I suggested them. In all seriousness if you have weasels around, you won't have a vole or shrew or whatever vermin problem. I have killed a lot of vermin by putting Tuna oil (drained from cans) into the bottom of large coffee cans and placing them where the mice can jump in (along a base log). Once they get into the oil they can't get out of the can. This obviously is a wintertime remedy.

believe it or no -- you might set some small wire snares

only really works if you have idea where their get in thou...

but, bigger problem maybe - Are they in the walls??

by voles ect moving through a wall, they move insulation out and around, makes cold spots, and I didn't want to mention it.. but- urine also is a problem.

good luck,
    and if you find a another method let us all know--

"if it ain't happened yet, it will"

Chris

I thought you were kidding on the weasel idea but hard to tell on the intertube sometimes. We have a few wannabe trappers out our way and I haven't seen much in the way of small predators in the past few years. Which, is probably why we have a mice/vole problem. Need some owls I guess.

I don't think they are in the walls - yet. I know all about the damage they can do and I need them gone. I'm heading up this weekend and will come prepared.

Go to Mill & Feed and get some wolf urine. A couple of drops on a cotton ball in a perforated holder bottle, place them around the area, the pests disappear. No joke.

We're having a big shrew year. The snow density must be giving them problems. Decon takes care of the ones that get inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Go to Mill & Feed and get some wolf urine. A couple of drops on a cotton ball in a perforated holder bottle, place them around the area, the pests disappear. No joke.

We're having a big shrew year. The snow density must be giving them problems. Decon takes care of the ones that get inside.
    Why not just lock a wolf in the cabin? I am sure it would keep most things out.