Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lucky enough to draw dm773... now what?

Default lucky enough to draw dm773... now what?

So I put in for a few tags this year and was lucky to win a dm773 tag. This is unit 20a, any bull moose tag. At the time when I put in for it I thought I would be able to run either the tanana or part of the delta in my boat. Now I realize those rivers would never be done with a prop. So now im faced with a dilemna! I do not want to waste this tag. Ive looked into a fly in situation. But dont know that I could afford the multiple $550 trips per 250lbs... and then float out (I only have my boat and a canoe).
    Ive been perusing the older posts on this subject, and have come up with some info.... thats how I decided to call Golden Eagle.
    Does anyone have some tips they are willing to share? I do have access to four wheelers... but how would I go about getting them in? Or any tips on other folks to call for fly in service? Im trying to get tjis figured out early in hopes to have time to convince my wife to let me go!
    Im fairly new to hunting, grew up my dad was sick so he didnt hunt. And now im trying to learn. This will be my first year I can take enough time off to do a big hunt and hope ti be succesful!
    Thanks in advance!

What is the weight limit on the canoe? Depending on river conditions you can cross the Delta, line the canoe up stream, and hunt. You will have lots of company with over 100 tag holders. There will be guys that ferry ATVs across and hunt miles into the hills. You could also check into floating out on Delta creek with a raft. Small raft with help.

Are you going with someone? Solo moose is not fun unless you have a large amount if mechanical advantage.

We tried hunting that unit for the last 2 years but couldn't cross the Delta. That river is heavily influenced by rainfall and it raises quickly once it starts to rain. It's not a place you want to mess around with. Not to burst your bubble because there were guys that were able to get atv's across at Donnelly campground but I saw more fail than succeed. I know of wheelers and trucks/jeeps that met the grim reaper trying to cross. There were a couple guys that had monster trucks with tires that seemed to be 8 foot tall that shuttled atv's across. I'm not sure if they'd shuttle anybody but their friends. Your best bet would be to obtain a flat bottom skiff with a jet drive and load your wheeler across. On the bright side, the guys that crossed came back with some dandy bulls. Last thing...there is a website that will tell you the height of the rivers. Keep an eye on that especially when it's starting to rain.

One more thing. Be careful if you decide to take a canoe. The wind can blow ferocious down that river bottom. They should put a wind farm upon Donnelly Dome and harness that energy

I tagged along with my partner last year on this hunt, as he drew the DM773 tag, like everyone said above the key is to cross the Delta River. You gotta head north out of town and access the river from I believe it's Spengler Rd. You'll see all the trucks and trailers parked at the access point. Your best bet is to aquire an Argo, and make your way to cross using the current, the river is not that deep, but is raging at some parts and has alot of drop pockets. This is the shallowest part of the river that I know, Google maps is your friend it will show the trails once your across. There is also a small village community there called "Whitestone" they are self sufficient agriculturalists and live off the land, so be careful, they are out and about, and I'm sure they have concern about the moose in that area. You'll also have to get a federal land pass from ft. Greely, because most of that area is on their property they practice in. My hunting partner would be best to help you, maybe he'll chime in .....

Is it possible to buy a jet unit for your outboard. Once you weigh your options. Fly in is a one time thing. Money spent and gone. But with a jet unit your open for much more in the future.

boatingRN, it appears you can not receive PM's yet. Once you can, send me a message.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Is it possible to buy a jet unit for your outboard. Once you weigh your options. Fly in is a one time thing. Money spent and gone. But with a jet unit your open for much more in the future.
    My advice as well.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

I am looking into buying a jet unit for my boat, or possibly talking my wife into letting my buy an ineexpensinve jon with a jet. If I go this route, would it still be best to access by crossing the delta? what about crossing the tanana and hunting the northern portion of the unit? I do like the idea of not just blowing all the money on a one time flight, and instead acquiring new toys that will help in years to come.
    As far as the canoe goes-im not sure of the weight capacity of it. im sure that would involve several trips.
    im hoping to find a buddy or two that may be interested in tagging along. surely someone would be interested in helping out in exchange for half a moose!
    if i do go the fly-in route, anyone have recommendations of who to call. ive talked to golden eagle, they have just one opening left- and i would need to buy a raft still. anyone know contact info for M&M?
    And lastly- areas that arent huntable? i see the fort greely area on the map and have seen the "whitestone" area on google earth, are there other areas that should be avoided? do i need an access pass to the whole unit or just the military area that is shown on the map?
    thanks again

i dont know how to set that up. ill try! thanks bairdi

I would hunt on clear creek ( Richardson clear water ) I have had good luck their. or four wheeler over to rainbow lake. I hunt out that way a lot there are a good # of moose the last few years.... but last summer a forest fire had gone though their...so there is no telling this year.......

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREME DUTY View Post
    I would hunt on clear creek ( Richardson clear water ) I have had good luck their. or four wheeler over to rainbow lake. I hunt out that way a lot there are a good # of moose the last few years.... but last summer a forest fire had gone though their...so there is no telling this year.......
    Good luck with that the fire last summer toasted that whole area it looks like the moon not even shrubs survived. I hunted it last year, and it was nothing like before the animals were pushed way out into the bombing range.

Anyone know if you can run a prop on the tanana near delta junction? I have my kenai boat... its a 18ft sportsman with a yamaha 50 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by boatingRN View Post
    Anyone know if you can run a prop on the tanana near delta junction? I have my kenai boat... its a 18ft sportsman with a yamaha 50 4 stroke.
    If the water wasn't so silty and chalky looking you might be able to find the deeper spots, but I were you I wouldn't, there's alot of log debris and lots of brush that you won't see. I definitely would not run prop in the delta river for sure.

Here's my question: Once you get across the river , how are you gonna hunt? you gonna hunt near the boat by walking ? You want to get back in there deep where your gonna get on to some good critters, your gonna need wheelers, and your gonna have to get them across, contact the guys with the flat bed buggy's in delta and have them shuttle your wheelers and meat wagons, I believe they run about $300 across and back,not bad if you ask me, run the trails get high and glass, there's good moose in there. Get a pass from Greely and hunt the burn area, should have good grass this up coming season... good luck .

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Here's my question: Once you get across the river , how are you gonna hunt? you gonna hunt near the boat by walking ? You want to get back in there deep where your gonna get on to some good critters, your gonna need wheelers, and your gonna have to get them across, contact the guys with the flat bed buggy's in delta and have them shuttle your wheelers and meat wagons, I believe they run about $300 across and back,not bad if you ask me, run the trails get high and glass, there's good moose in there. Get a pass from Greely and hunt the burn area, should have good grass this up coming season... good luck .
    Do you know hot to contact them? That does sound like a better way to do it. Are there decent trails in the area? I thought I read the trail system was pretty limited.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by boatingRN View Post
    I am looking into buying a jet unit for my boat, or possibly talking my wife into letting my buy an ineexpensinve jon with a jet. If I go this route, would it still be best to access by crossing the delta? what about crossing the tanana and hunting the northern portion of the unit? I do like the idea of not just blowing all the money on a one time flight, and instead acquiring new toys that will help in years to come.
    As far as the canoe goes-im not sure of the weight capacity of it. im sure that would involve several trips.
    im hoping to find a buddy or two that may be interested in tagging along. surely someone would be interested in helping out in exchange for half a moose!
    if i do go the fly-in route, anyone have recommendations of who to call. ive talked to golden eagle, they have just one opening left- and i would need to buy a raft still. anyone know contact info for M&M?
    And lastly- areas that arent huntable? i see the fort greely area on the map and have seen the "whitestone" area on google earth, are there other areas that should be avoided? do i need an access pass to the whole unit or just the military area that is shown on the map?
    thanks again
    shoot me an email.. vince at gci dot net.. and i can give you a pilot that only fly's resident hunters for the any bull tag.. hes affordable and an excellent pilot, I did a winters worth of moose surveys sitting behind him in 20A.. and he knows the game populations..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

thanks again everyone for the input. The hunt dates are getting closer, Summer has been busy with fishing and moving, but im still not getting very far with this hunt! Ive never been successful hunting, hoping this any bull tag will be the ticket! I think I have decided to go with a 4 wheeler, and i have seen other posts recommending finding someone willing to fairy accross... anyone have any contact info for getting accross delta river? looks like south of the closed military area might be better simply to avoid encroaching the whitestones area?
    thanks!

You will want to cross at Whitestone, its the best place to cross, but still need to ferry, its has more braids and shallower, I can try and get you the number to the guys that ferry but my buddy is deployed right now, they are located right by the crossing area at whitestone you'll see their ferry vehicles they have two. Maybe Hodgeman who is from Delta Junction on this forum may help you, I don't know..maybe you could take a drive and check it out. I don't remember the names to the guys my buddy knows on Greely but they fly the range (via Helicopter) every day just about.

thanks kahahawai, I will be heading up that way to check things out before the hunt opens, In the process of moving right now, inconvenient time to move!

Boating RN, I too have a tag and need a way to cross. My plan was to use my wheelers once on the other side. Did you find a way to cross? Lots of great info passed by everyone on this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast