Thread: Denali Highway Lodges

Default Denali Highway Lodges

Thanks to all that replied to my delta clearwater thread. Am also looking at fly fishing for grayling on the denali highway too. Have been in touch with both MacLaren River Lodge and Alpine Creek Lodge. Any suggestions would be helpful. Fly Fishing.

Is the quality of fishing equal, anyone stayed at either or both lodges? Am looking to come next year for 5 or 6 days on a DIY trip and possibly hire a guide for a few days. Never been to Alaska.

Thanks for answering my many questions.

Maclaren is great. Stayed there this fall during caribou season you can get dropped off up river or down river for fishing. Very cheap jet boat ride. Really good fishing down river.
    The other lodge is great too. Good food at alpine.

Stay at both places couple night at each.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Agree with akmike! Stay at both lodges. Al at Maclaren does a great trip up the Maclaren River for grayling. I think you can hire him as a guide, or he drops you off and picks you up. Here at Alpine Creek, we use ATV's to access some excellent grayling fly fishing area's, including Windy Creek, Valdez Creek, Clearwater, etc.

You can't go wrong fly fishing anywhere on the highway. You'll catch fish till your arms fall off!

Give me a call if you have any questions. 907-743-0565.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I have read that the rental car companies won't rent a car that's going up on the Denali highway or will charge $400/day to do so. Any thoughts or ideas here? Any companies in anchorage that do?

Paul, great question! There is one that we know of and the prices are reasonable. It's called High Country Car Rental www.highcountryanchorage.com Good luck!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks Claude. I appreciate the info. I have contacted you folks in the past but haven't been able to make it up yet. Planning on next July. No vacation time until 2015. Don't think I can swing it this summer. Google Earthed the creeks. Looks like fun.

Paul