Thread: Chicken Hole??

Default Chicken Hole??

Haven't fished out of Homer, but all I hear about is the "chicken holes." What makes a chicken hole a chicken hole? I am stumped at why so many juvenile fish would congregate in one area. Food is mandatory but what kind of structure is seen? Sand, mud, rock bottom? Just curious as I have never been to one.

A chicken hole means two things in fishing.

#1- It's a place you catch a large amount of very small halibut. They carpet certain areas, that are often sandy. Not sure why they congregate where they do, but they often pick up and move as a group overnight.

#2- It's a place where "chickens" fish, when it's rough out on the big water. Typically a spot near open water. The tough guys head out and fish in the slop, while the "chickens" fish in the protected water.

very good definitions ... not sure which one I like the most. depends on if I'm there or not

Basically structure and food.
    One of the ones I fish is in what are known as the sand waves for obvious reasons and the Halibut are usually puking up a lot of needle fish.
    Another one is right in the tide rip and it attracts food that is caught in the rip. I am guessing there is some structure there as well.
    That is not to say there are never any large halibut there as we do catch some bigger fish there occasionally but the average size is 40# or less.
    The fishing can be hot and heavy though.
    I think the longest I have waited for the fish to bite in a Chicken hole has been 20 minutes. and it is often one fish after another.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

average size is 12 lbs or less from my experience in the last 5 years. I haven't seen a 40 lb halibut in a while. One fish after another is true but just no size to them.

I have had people on my boat catch 80# (by length)Halibut on my boat out of a "Chicken" hole. Last time I fished one my wife caught one that went 50# by its length. And that was while catching one fish after another. We kept 20 (subsistence)and threw several smaller under 10# fish back.
    I think some chicken holes are better than others and it is certainly possible to catch a big fish in one though.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have had people on my boat catch 80# (by length)Halibut on my boat out of a "Chicken" hole. Last time I fished one my wife caught one that went 50# by its length. And that was while catching one fish after another. We kept 20 (subsistence)and threw several smaller under 10# fish back.
    I think some chicken holes are better than others and it is certainly possible to catch a big fish in one though.
    From my experience.....when a feeding frenzy starts with a bunch of chickens, after awhile it usually attracts larger fish.

Btw......how's the shark problem been in the last few years?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    From my experience.....when a feeding frenzy starts with a bunch of chickens, after awhile it usually attracts larger fish.

Btw......how's the shark problem been in the last few years?
    The 80# fish was caught after drifting through the hole twice and picking up a couple of smaller fish each drift. Then as soon as we got anchored up the big one hit. I do believe in some chicken holes that putting on a really large bait and waiting will get you a bigger fish on occasion.
    As for the sharks the answwer is not too bad. We still get the occasionaal spiny dogfish but not too terribly often.maybe one or two every other trip.
    A few skates each year as well but not nearly as bad as we had it a few years ago.