Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting handgun top

Default Hunting handgun top

What will you hunting handgun be sighter with this year. Scope,dot or irons. My 9 1/2" SRH 44mag has a 2X leupold and iron for my Alaskan 454peep rear, green dot front.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Super Red Hawk 44 mag with 7 1/2 inch barrel has a 2X Leupold on it. TC 7X30 Waters with a 10 inch barrel has a 2.5X8 Leupold on it.

My older Redhawk with Ruger's accessory gold bead front and v-notch rear still gets the most work. Best hunting sight I've ever found.

629 5" with gold bead on front, square notch rear.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I have two 460V I hunt with, one stock irons and the other a 2X Leupold. For many years all I hunted with was a 3 screw Blackhawk in 357 with the stock sights but my older eyes find that hard now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

FA .454. Factory adjustable open sights for me all the way.

Contender: .375 JDJ...2X Leupold, .223 2-6x Redfield

45 Colt Bisley Hunter 2X Weaver

500L Blackhawk open sites.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

.454 Freedom Arms Premium 10" ported barrel, 2.5-8X Leupold

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    .454 Freedom Arms Premium 10" ported barrel, 2.5-8X Leupold
    That sounds like a good long range setup AGL. Do you have any pics? I'm just interested what that looks like. What kind of holster do you use? Is there a particular load you like with that long-barreled FA? Does the porting make a big difference? Sorry it that's too many questions.

Smith 629 - 6" - open sights
    Encore 7mm/08 - 14"- 2.5-8 Leupold
    Contender .445 Supermag - 14"- 2X Leupold
    Contender .44 mag. - 10"- 1.5. dot Leupold
    Colt Woodsman .22 - open sights
    Contender 30/30 - 10" - open sights
    Contender .357 Maximum - 10"- open sights.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave you have ten extra max brass you might sell?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I put a sightmark reflex sight on my taurus 357 with 6 inch. barrel. I have extremely enjoyed the accuracy of this scenario. Off the bags I can shoot under 8 inches all the time at 75 yards but hold my hunting to 50 yards to which I can shoot under 4 inches off the bags and always in a small paper plate leaning or kneeling at that distance. Tin cans don't stand a chance at less than 40. I love this thing. It actually fits fine in my shoulder holster and has held zero extremely well. Only issue was that this gun did not come tapped, Juneau has no gunsmith, and I spent way too much shipping thing thing for a 90$ tap job (which was done very well) in anchorage. I've yet to get a longer shot with it but counted coup on several small bucks on POW last year waiting for a bigger one. Finally took a spike since it was a one hand drag from camp and he went all of 40 yards and piled up. Ten hard shot so hard to say it helped but the same gun took 3 of 3 on hooters last fall during my last deer hunt near Juneau at 12-15 yards.....even hit em i the head as intended.

Did I mention I love this thing?

taurus raging bull 454 6.5" barrel, going to top it with the ultra dot match dot so i can change dot sizes and styles, open sights until then

My Bisley Hunter that I cut to 5" will be wearing the same irons it has since I got it. I built a new insert for the interchangeable front sight system that is a ramp with a gold bar, ala Elmer Keith except mine uses one wide bar. It's not for range holdover like Elmer's, just that my eyes pick up gold easily without the front sight washing out like it does with the standard red insert. I also swapped the rear blade for a plain black one. Darn thing is spooky accurate using Keith's 245gr plain base run at about 1150fps with Unique, after I cut it down I ran down to the range and promptly shot a 3.5" group for 6 shots at 100yds. Drove one of those bullets diagonal through my biggest black bear to date last spring with it too, 6'er went 25 feet and piled up.

My new contender will likely stay iron equipped as they are a fine set of adjustable sights and I don't feel comfortable stretching the range much over 125-150yds even with spitzers in the 35 barrel. If I get a good deal on a 22 barrel for it I may mount a 2.5x that I have lying around on top, just don't care for the way scoped handguns handle though. Prefer to use a good set of irons as long as my eyes will let me.

My 6.5" single six wears a plain black rear square notch, and now with its latest facelift a banded patridge front. I've owned this now mini bigbore since I was 13 and have shot loads of stuff with it, I'm sure it will tag along on one outing or another this year.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    For many years all I hunted with was a 3 screw Blackhawk in 357 with the stock sights but my older eyes find that hard now.
    Here's a good trick for those "older eyes" and "stock sights".

File the rear sight to be WIDER, so you can see more light on both sides of the front sight. This works for rifles or pistols, including MLs.

Nother help is to paint the back of the front sight with florescent Yallar Paint.

I've been doin that, and it works for me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My hunting handguns are all single action Rugers with their original sights. Mine got some florescent orange on the back side of the front sight,

I'm kinda backwards but putting a scope on a Revolver is like putting one on a lever action.....it don't seem right! Now that's just my opinion which shouldn't be highly regarded on such matters. just one old farts opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Dave you have ten extra max brass you might sell?
    Sorry but no. I ordered mine on line, I think Starline.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

S&W 41 7" barrel w/ factory sights
    S&W 629 .44 mag Mountain Gun 4" w/ factory rear and fiber optic front
    S&W 657 .41 mag 6.5" barrel w/ factory rear and matte black square post front

I've had scoped handguns and a couple w/ red dots and never could get used to them.

I've tried everything, and for revolver hunting ranges the red dot sights work best for me. With my 629 Classic and Millett red dot I've shot 3-4 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yds. The other benefit is that they are so much lighter than a scope that offhand shooting is improved immensely. My near 60 year old eyes just can't do with irons past about 25 yards, so they are just out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast