Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM806 Question

Default DM806 Question

I drew a DM806 tag, looked like it had a decent success rate. After reading how crowded the Nowitna gets I'm starting to second guess burning the gas to get out there. Anyone been on this hunt? Is it worth the trip? Thanks.

Where is it?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

21B lower nowitna river. Seems like a popular area for locals. You have a skinny area where this draw hunt is good. It may Be worth it. Never know till you try. I have a friend that says its gots lotsa good bulls, but you gotta work it hard. Get away from folks. Hunt the sloughs.

Release Lake Trout

That's right up the street from my house so to speak. HuntFishAAk is pretty spot on. Quite a few boats, busy on the main river, decent moose densities though. Depends on what experience you're looking for. Personally, I avoid the Novi like the plague during moose season. Just too many people. Of course it's nothing like it was 20 years ago with a crowd on every corner.

Viking

Sorry computer freaked out, was going to ask, Viking Country AK? You from Petersburg?

Ya, depends on what experience you want. If you are used to hunting the tanana or the susitna drainages, then it is nice. If you have been spoiled by fly in trips or trips of yesteryear with few people and all the moose you want, then no. There are moose there, there is good success for people that know how to hunt, and some success for those that don't too.. There seems to be decent numbers of moose there. You will see people on the river most every day in the lower parts of the river for sure. It is a REALLY long ways to go from Anchorage. The hunting may not be worth the logistics of getting there for you. What boat are you running?

"Getting away from folks, hunting it hard and hunting the sloughs" sounds like every place I have ever been.

I put in for it and didn't get it. I understand the fuel use issue and that other people use that river. Did you research it before applying? It'd be a waste to waste it...
    Just sayin'....
    You see this every year where someone gets a permit (one that someone else would've loved to have), and then decides not to go for something other than job/health reasons. I say go and at least get an adventure out of it... Then you'll know weather to apply again.

Thanks for all the replies. I live in Fairbanks, I hunted the Koyukuk last year and had a great time. My worry isn't the difficulty of logistics, I have an 18ft alumacraft with a 45 horse, not a luxury ride but it takes me where I need to go. The tag wasn't my first choice, I included the tag because it's a little closer than the Koyukuk, and seemed to still have a high success rate according to the ADFG website. I was very excited when I drew the tag, (better than no tag at all!), then the more I read about it since I've grown a little more discouraged.

My buddy drew the tag I had last year, and I know we'll have bulls to choose from. But with his schedule, we don't have time to hunt both tags. If I go out on my own I can hunt the whole season for that tag and get in 4-6 days before season opener, but I'm also footing 100% of the costs. My worry is if moose numbers are there to begin with, and I would prefer to call in moose rather than calling in other hunters. I'm willing to fight the crowds if I know I'm going in with realistic expectations of having a chance at a bull. My wife has made it clear many times that I'm better off not coming back than coming back empty handed if I'm spending this kind of money for fuel and supplies.

And Vikings country just describes any area I reside in, Skol!

I flew over the area last year during moose season. There were few boats on the upper half of your hunt area. It's a lot shorter boat drive than the Koyukuk. Get up the Novi about 40 miles and I bet it won't be that crowded. Plus, if you go later in the season, some folks will have already left.
    It's good hunting up there. Talk to the bio, Glen Stout.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Swampdonkey,

I do appreciate the input. But the judgement wasn't necessary. The way I see it, theres plenty more important things in the world to be concerned with than how my brother uses or doesn't use his draw tags. But to each his own man. I wish you luck on your season!

Thanks man, good info. I'll have to get into Glen's ear then. I appreciate the info!

If you run into a blue Hewescraft 220 with a brand new Yamaha 150 stop in. I have had lots of friends who have hunted it and they all say the same thing, get out of the boat. We plan on hunting between 40 and 60 miles up river and the last half of the season. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
    Swampdonkey,

I do appreciate the input. But the judgement wasn't necessary. The way I see it, theres plenty more important things in the world to be concerned with than how my brother uses or doesn't use his draw tags. But to each his own man. I wish you luck on your season!
    I said what I said based off of your first post. It was a bit vague. Since your second post explains things better, it seams more clearer now. I rescind any comment that you found offensive. But I do feel that a person should apply for tags that they know they will use and are prepared for if drawn, whether it's a first choice or not. Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    But I do feel that a person should apply for tags that they know they will use and are prepared for if drawn, whether it's a first choice or not. Good luck...
    If everyone did that, they would have to cut down on the number of tags given out because the success rate would be higher. Those who don't hunt or aren't successful are all part of the math of determining how many tags they can give out. It all works out in the end.

HWK,

I'll be on the look out for you, ill be in a newer open 18 ft green alumacraft with a mudmotor and a yellow lab. Good luck, hope your hunt is successful!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If everyone did that, they would have to cut down on the number of tags given out because the success rate would be higher. Those who don't hunt or aren't successful are all part of the math of determining how many tags they can give out. It all works out in the end.
    You're probably right there regarding the success rates. My point was to respectfully say that a person should be prepared and able/ready to go on any of the hunts that they have applied for. To get drawn for a particular hunt, especially a hunt that other folks would really love to have, and not go just "because" they don't want to is a waste in my opinion. I'm not name calling or trying to pass any serious judgement here. I'm just saying...

Kinda like folks who draw Kodiak bear tags and don't go because they can't afford it. Then why apply?
    Or apply for a Koyakuk moose tag, get it, and don't go because their boat isn't up to task or they don't want to stash fuel. Then why apply?
    Or apply for a goat tag, get it, and don't go because they feel that when the goat season comes around, they never worked out and they're not fit enough. Or whatever reason.
    People that do their homework on certain hunts BEFORE applying generally seem to have higher success rates...

For example: I know the logistics of a muskox hunt. It's not cheap either. I've never done it but I want too. I'd be totally ready to go on that hunt if I applied for it and got drawn. But if I drew it and then decided I don't want to go because other hunters will be in the same area, that would be a waste of a great tag and a dissappointment to others. There are (I'm certain) other folks out there who also applied for the same hunt, didn't get drawn, who would've without question, gone hunting. That sir, is my point.

You're probably right there regarding the success rates. My point was to respectfully say that a person should be prepared and able/ready to go on any of the hunts that they have applied for. To get drawn for a particular hunt, especially a hunt that other folks would really love to have, and not go just "because" they don't want to is a waste in my opinion. I'm not name calling or trying to pass any serious judgement here. I'm just saying...

Kinda like folks who draw Kodiak bear tags and don't go because they can't afford it. Then why apply?
    Or apply for a Koyakuk moose tag, get it, and don't go because their boat isn't up to task or they don't want to stash fuel. Then why apply?
    Or apply for a goat tag, get it, and don't go because they feel that when the goat season comes around, they never worked out and they're not fit enough. Or whatever reason.
    People that do their homework on certain hunts BEFORE applying generally seem to have higher success rates...

For example: I know the logistics of a muskox hunt. It's not cheap either. I've never done it but I want too. I'd be totally ready to go on that hunt if I applied for it and got drawn. But if I drew it and then decided I don't want to go because other hunters will be in the same area, that would be a waste of a great tag and a dissappointment to others. There are (I'm certain) other folks out there who also applied for the same hunt, didn't get drawn, who would've without question, gone hunting. That sir, is my point.
    Don't get me wrong. I can totally see what you are getting at. I know it is always tough when I put in for a permit and did not get drawn, then see others asking questions that make it clear they have no idea how to go about it or indicating that they just aren't going to try. I used to get mad about it before. But that was in the past. Once I stood back and looked at the math behind the drawing system, taking emotion out of the equation, I realized it really all came out in a wash in the end. I can accept it now. I still get a little twinge once in a while at first glance, but fall back to what I have worked out and the twinge goes away.

Basically, just as an example, they want X number of animals taken from a particular unit to reach the herd objectives. Say they want 50 caribou taken from a unit. They know based on historical numbers that 50% of those who win permits don't even bother to hunt. They also know from those same stats that 50% of those who do hunt, aren't successful. That means, they know they need to issue 200 permits to hope to get the 50 caribou taken (give or take). Say you have 1000 people applying for those permits, each person has a 20% chance of being drawn (200/1000). Now, if something changed and only those who did their research and would actually hunt for the permit applied, you would only have about 500 applicants, but then again, you would only be able to issue 100 permits (since you are elimination those who didn't hunt in the first place and you know from past numbers that half of those who do are successful). Your odds of drawing are still 20% (100/500). Obviously this is a very simplified example and things can change a lot from year to year, especially with the smaller hunts where you may only have 5 or 10 permits awarded, but the same general concept follows.

Is it comfortable up the on that soap box?

To to me it's about retaining options. This hunt is one of my options. I'm more than capable of getting there and hunting the area with the equipment I own. It comes down to when I weigh my options what gives me the most enjoyable hunt for my dollar, whether or not it's hunting this tag or not I haven't determined. But someone else's opinion on my 'draw tag ethics' just isn't very high on my list of considerations if you know what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
    Is it comfortable up the on that soap box?

To to me it's about retaining options. This hunt is one of my options. I'm more than capable of getting there and hunting the area with the equipment I own. It comes down to when I weigh my options what gives me the most enjoyable hunt for my dollar, whether or not it's hunting this tag or not I haven't determined. But someone else's opinion on my 'draw tag ethics' just isn't very high on my list of considerations if you know what I mean...
    You missed the points where I clarified the word "respectful", or gave legitimate examples, or tried to explain a little bit from others views based off of your post and seeing this repeatedly year after year, for MANY years now. I'm really not wanting to judge. But hey, whatever man. No soapbox here, I certainly don't need one for this. Not looking for your considerations either. But hey, best of luck and enjoy your options and draw tag ethics... Peace.

Thanks, I will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast