Thread: Karluk Lake fall bear hunt db213

Smile Karluk Lake fall bear hunt db213

Well I had some awesome luck this year and ended up drawing a Karluk lake tag. I have been on one bear hunt on Kodiak in the fall so I kind of know what to expect for weather and such. I was wondering if anyone has hunted this area in the past. I already have booked an air taxi and I am trying to figure out the rest of the details. The two biggest things I am trying to figure out is a good place to camp and do I need to rent a zodiac? I am hoping to stay off the native land to avoid the big fees. I am a military guy with a young family so I don't have big bucks to spend. This is my last hunt of my 6 year tour of Alaska so I want to make it count! Someday I will be back to call Alaska home.

Had the tag a few years ago. Don't camp at Bear Point unless you don't like to sleep, bring a electric fence, and yes on the zodiac. Lots of bears on the lake, but the big boys are nocturnal. Hunt at daylight and dusk, rest of the time you can take pictures of all the bears walking the shoreline feeding on fish.

Nunya,
    Thanks for the info I appreciate it! Sure sounds like you saw a lot of bears. That's good to hear..

Default Karluk Lake hunt on Kodiak

A little late on this but I had a great hunt at Karluk lake this fall. We saw a lot of bears but only two bears that didn't have cubs with them. We didn't see any big old monsters but It was a great hunt and I will remember it for a life time. I was fortunate enough to take my first brown bear and sitka deer so I was happy as can be. We had beautiful weather for Kodiak standards so I couldn't ask for anything else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty bear and great deer! Congrats on your hunt.

Good for you. Looks like a great hunt. I was on Karluk this spring and took a great bear with Scott Mileur. I am already thinking of going back in 4 years if the money works out. Did you see Scott or his camp?

Thanks guys! Redneck hunter I did see his camp but we never ended up running into each other. I don't blame you for going back it is a great area. I would love to go back one day. I'm glad you got a nice bear as well.