Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yukon Charlie Wolf Pack Killed

Default Yukon Charlie Wolf Pack Killed

Anybody herd this story? Evidently a whole pack of 11 animals was taken out?

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...wolf-pack24731
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If the state isn't careful the Feds will pull the plug on more hunts on Fed land like they have with bears on the Kenai.
    - Jef Mallett

Man the capital "s" state is awful. Across the board.

I wonder how many caribou calves a pack of 11 wolves takes out each spring.

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I just don't understand it and it saddens me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    I wonder how many caribou calves a pack of 11 wolves takes out each spring.
    Actually there are few predators on the calving grounds, but, "Golden eagles who are non-nesting sub-adults are the most important predator of the calves on the calving grounds." Wolves are more of a factor during the winter.
    - Jef Mallett

I wonder how they know all 11 members of the pack were killed? Generally there will just be a couple of collars on the pack. If you kill the collared wolves, you lose track of the pack until you can collar some more. Lost Creek is in the Upper Salcha drainage, this may be the pack that denned on Cresent Creek, just inside the western border of the Yukon Charley. This pack would hit the caribou when the calved in the upper Salcha. Some years they calve in the upper Seventy Mile drainage on the other side of the Charley River.

Wow. The Feds let their dogs loose and unleashed onto the neighbors property. Bet the Feds didn't bother to pick up their dogs poop either.

The SWAT Team should have patrolled the boundaries better!

Default Pawns

Regardless of the onslaught of coming justifications, there is an unavoidable Stench hovering that will take a long time to clear.

Wild animals have stepped over an imaginary man-made line (maybe some State funded church of the future can educate wolves to read) and had their entire group slaughtered.
    Do you think any moderation was considered? Daily news of all manner of the dead and dying that have 'strayed' is too commonplace. Politics usually in the mix, creative solutions not necessarily given balanced considerations.

Political pawns in the ''AK vs. Fed Overreach Wars' ??
    Seems a pretty sensational act guaranteed to stir.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

The woofs will be back.

Oh my gosh!

Now the rivers are going to get wider and the beavers are going to leave because all the moose that survive will trample the river banks and we will have tons of erosion and it will silt up the Yukon River and then we will have 100 lbs. coyotes and no foxes because those coyotes will eat most of them and voles will increase because the foxes are gone and they will eat up more of the habitat the moose have over browsed and then there will be an explosion of owls and hawks and they will eat up all our grouse too while getting stuffed on the extra voles and I'll have to give my bird dog away to a circus that travels around telling people what bird dogs used to be for.... Ecology is really a bummer man!!!

Oh! No! And then we're going to have a scientist that doesn't know goose do from tootsie rolls make us a "model" that only works all things being equal.... which of course is pure bog water... And then that scientist (after 5 more years) will finally finish their degree and get hired by the NPS and they will continue to tell us crap like this. Which no one but a life time subscriber to the Ranger Rick magazine would even ever believe....

This makes me really sad! I just don't understand it all!!! Really, really....
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Let's see... there's about 10,000 wolves in Alaska who are statistically producing somewhere between 2,000 - 3,500 pups per year.

The state removed 11.

Whoop-dee-doo.

Nothing to see here.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

That's a good one woodsman.... The idea that we are going to study wolf packs in all the parks and preserves, employing hundreds of biologist to do it is absolutely ludicrous. The NPS / F&WS has their own airplanes and helicopters, employing pilots to fly biologist around putting radio collars on everything that they want to study. This cost millions of dollars. Do we really need to do this? In the old days the biologist put a packsack on and went out in the field with his binoculars. Now it is in a helicopter or plane.

This is just a bad change in policy imo, for the state to go back on previous word that it would not target collared wolves from YUCH. But I guess it's an election year, and anti-fed populist posturing is very popular among the masses who continue to vote in people who don't have their best interests in mind.

Yup, when the Feds return tit for tat, the same ones who believe this was a good idea will be screaming the loudest.
    - Jef Mallett

Every game animal taken by state or feds is a lost chance for Joe hunter to take same critter and waste of alls tax dollar.. Bet it would be a different cry if the state started taking every moose with in a mile of roads to help with driver safety.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There are no people up where those wolves were taken. There was a trapper that came up the Charley out of Circle. Don't know if any younger guys are running that line now. Nobody was in the upper Salcha (headwaters) area. That is a long way out there... Turns into a wind blown high alpine terrain area.

Killem all and get it over with.
    Tim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast