Thread: Looking for new Ideas

Default Looking for new Ideas

So, I'm thinking of finally venturing out and buying myself a little piece of ground near some water to build my cabin. I can't decide on where I want that future cabin to be but I think I have it narrowed down to either the Willow area (Willow to Talkeetna) or somewhere along the Kenai River (middle river). Fishing is cool and all but I truly want to be able to hunt ducks from my cabin.

The real question I have for you guys is, does anyone hunt ducks up around Willow? Anywhere north of Wasilla actually. Is there any decent hunting on either of the Su rivers, Yetna, Deshka, etc.?

Obviously I'm not asking for your secret spots but just a general yes or no to that Northern Valley area.

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help.

A lot of birds on the big su most sloughs hold birds people float the willow for ducks
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

yes, yes and yes...many hunters venture into the rivers and sloughs up north. Can be dangerous, exciting and rewarding I am sure. Know your equipment limits, get some experience and have a plan A, B, and C..maybe D as well...

I have seen plans go to $%$# quick up here.

Good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I appreciate the info. Looks like it will be a fun summer of exploring!

When you're up there, please keep a look out in the sloughs too, I might be in there!

If you guys need an extra someday next season please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!

Sure, you can get a few ducks around willow and can jump some floating those rivers, i've never heard of anybody doing really well along the areas mentioned. if you are looking for a place to primarly duck hunt out of and yet fairly close to drive to from anchorage, i think kenai would be better. we have a number on here that hunt the kenai and homer salt water areas as well as rivers and lakes in those areas, i recall lots of posts about that. plus, even though the fishing isn't what it use to be, i think it is better south also. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks for that Bud.

I've been thinking that same thing. If they keep closing the Valley rivers for salmon there won't be anything to do through the summer.

I guess I'll have to increase my budget a little and start looking down there.

Lots of stuff to do like pike fish and still plenty of salmon fishing just not so much in the king fishing
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

DuckF,

I'd look real hard at Lake Louise, Susitna Lake, or Tyone Lake for property. The region will provide water access to smaller creeks, ponds, and deadwaters that hold migrating waterfowl. Some of these deadwaters and ponds, are accessible from the big water via the creeks. There's mucho property for sale up there.

Go to Cordova......

Maybe you should think outside the box. Great duck hunting and fishing can be found in Mexico. And property can be found extremely cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

From DF's post, sounds like he is looking for a local place to build his cabin, driving distance on a weekend from Anchorage. Mexico and Cordova are nice, but costs almost as much to fly to Cordova as Seattle, so not affordable for most. Lots plan and do a winter trip to Mex or lower 48 hunting, but not for a weekend cabin. I've heard stories about excellent hunting on Skilak lake, and it is close to the world class trout fishing of the Kenai, this might be a area I would target, or at least investigate further. Bud
    Wasilla