Thread: Looking for Current Info on the Lowe River Through Keystone Canyon

Default Looking for Current Info on the Lowe River Through Keystone Canyon

I am having trouble pulling something from the archives using the search function, so thought I would be lazy and see if I could get some comments on the Lowe River into Valdez.

All my written material on the river is dated prior to 2010, when there was catatrophic flooding and the road through Keystone Canyon washed out. Prior to 2010, the river was rated at a modest class III mainly due to some specific tricky points. It is my understanding that a considerable amout of rock was poured onto the the river bank during the course of rebuilding the road, and I image the character of the river could be significantly different that before. I cannot find any recent accounts of the river, what it's rated, specific tricky corners and such.

We'll have to see if the snow avalanch this winter will have a meaningful impact on the topography, but wondering if folks on the forum can give me a little more contemporary onfo on the run?

The river flooded again this year and one section is currently covered by a huge avalanche. That avalanche MAY not even thaw this summer. No one is going to be able to tell you anything until the spring melt off.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Wow.

Seems like there was a couple of outfitters that made a good part of their living, taking folks through the canyon.

Will be terrible if it shuts them down or even shortens thier season.

I an not 100% sure but the rafting Co you are speaking of went out of business 3 years ago. I am not sure if anyone is currently rafting the Canyon.

Walt
    Gulkana River Rafting
    Now booking for the 2014 season
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com

True the rafting company did go out of business. People still run it though on their own. I would not want to be the first one going through the tunnel under the avalanche!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You are correct that there are nolonger any outfitters floating the canyon, but lots of people still float the canyon...The river really hasn't changed any, and The flow changes the river from a dang simple float to dang near dangerous. That snow slide may be there a long time but ya could still get into the river just below it...and i have been wondering about floating under the slide might make for some excitement, might need to bring lights...The slide is really all above the canyon, but who knows what is under there. I'd bet money that someone does it.