Thread: Questions on fishing the Situk?

Default Questions on fishing the Situk?

For my friend's bachelor party we are talking about flying down to the Situk and do some fishing. Looking for any advice on where to stay, do we float the river or walk it from the road, any considerations as far as what we need to bring, recommended services etc. Thanks in advance.

Steve

alaskariverguy

Been to the Situk many times, itís a great river. My advice would be to stay at the Glacier Bear Lodge, itís not the Hilton but the food is good and the rooms above average at a good price. Personally I like to drift the river, the opportunities for fishing alone in your own hole are much better than walking in and being in a crowd. If you want a guided trip contact Ron DeNardi @ 907-784-3301, he has been guiding on the river for several years and is very good (I have been fishing with him for 20 years in CA and AK).
    If you plan to drift on your own boats are available for rent from GBL and the Yakutat Lodge. Itís a long river (15 miles) from put in (Nine Mile Bridge) to take out and unless you row very often I would recommend bringing a small outboard 5-15 hp to speed up the trip. I have a ton of info so if you are looking for more detailed info PM me. Iíll be up there myself between 6/22 and 6/29 with a large group. There is also great halibut fishing there and Ron can hook you up for that too, he has a 26 footer for ocean fishing as well as his river pram.
    This is a pix on the Situk with Ron's river pram in the background:

DD

Situk = Best river ever
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Do we bring our raft?

Was thinking about bringing the 16' cataraft and floating down from the lake or would it be better to rent a boat and run up the river?

you can float from the bridge to the mouth so I dont know why you'd fly into the lake, I'd rather fish upstream than downstream for sure a river like that doesn't deserve the jet boat traffic it gets.

If you're going to target salmon? Reds- the best fishing is an easy walk from 9mile bridge. Kings- the best fishing is an easy walk from the lower landing. If you want to go to the lake- get dropped and walk up Mountain Stream. It can be really really good for reds. Watch the lake cabin for activity. The USFS guys like to hide in the bushes and spy on you, sometimes with video equipment. Silvers- you're probably already too late to find accommodations. Silver fishing there is crazy. I've caught fish in the ditches beside the road. The Situk proper isn't the best for silvers. Tahwah Creek is my favorite.

You won't get a cataraft down from the lake. You can from the bridge. For kings and silvers that could be fun just to get away from people. For reds it's a waste of time. There are better places to fish within walking range.

Default Planning on a late Sept or Oct Trip

We are hoping to catch the stealhead and silvers in late Sept or Oct. I hope we are not already too late to find a place to stay! If we float the river are there places to camp along the way? Or do we have to stay at a lodge? We are trying to keep the costs down as much as possible so that all 4-5 of us can afford to go.

By then the silvers are tapering off and the weather is getting unpredictable. Well, that's not true. The weather is predictable. It'll suck. Steelhead fishing happens again later, like November, and is really dependent on how blown the river is by early winter storms. The days are short by then so most of the fishing is walking from the top or drifting in catarafts to the forest service strip and getting flown back out. At that time you're talking you'll have little reason to drift the Situk. You'll catch silvers in places you can drive and walk to. The Situk is pretty slow fishing compared to those places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    By then the silvers are tapering off and the weather is getting unpredictable. Well, that's not true. The weather is predictable. It'll suck. Steelhead fishing happens again later, like November, and is really dependent on how blown the river is by early winter storms. The days are short by then so most of the fishing is walking from the top or drifting in catarafts to the forest service strip and getting flown back out. At that time you're talking you'll have little reason to drift the Situk. You'll catch silvers in places you can drive and walk to. The Situk is pretty slow fishing compared to those places.
    I agree with Pid on this one, most of the silver fishing around Yakutat is in the small streams in the area and your too early for Steelhead. Went for steelhead in May of 05 and it was really good. 20-40 hook ups a day on 20-25# fish. Ran into some guys camping and they were freezing their *****es off and there wasn't even any snow. Best bet for silvers is mid August.

DD

Bob Fraker is another good guide on the river. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

http://www.yakutatbaylodge.com/contacts.htm

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    Bob Fraker is another good guide on the river. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

http://www.yakutatbaylodge.com/contacts.htm
    I have fished with Bob before, he does have a 70hp jet and runs up from the bottom. It's one hella-fast ride!! But he's more of a boat driver than guide, I never had him so much as offer to tye on a hook or give any advice on what works best etc. Ron DeNardi has been fishing steelhead all his life, never had a job other than guide. He started out as a kid in northern CA and knows how to catch fish where it's tough fishing. I've fished with him on the Smith River, Chetco River, Klamath River, and the Rogue. Believe me he is one of the best in the business! He also has a small bed and breakfast (6 beds)for cheep if your fishing with him.

I'll be in Yakutat last week of Aug for 10 days with a group of buddies. It will be my first fishing trip to AK and would like to arrive well prepared and with the right gear for the conditions. I did alot of research and regardless of how many AK Guide and Lodge sites I visit--I am unable to get a clear idea of what type of waders I should buy and whether my boots should be cleated felt, felt alone, or soft rubber. I did already buy a good pair of breathable waders with 4mm neoprene socks thinking that I would rather layer and be comfortable than be sweaty in chest-high neoprene. Was this a good choice for the time of year or should I have purchased neoprenes? We will be fishing the Situk and salt as well.

THX for any help anyone can give.

instead of neoprene you should just use more layers underneeth breathables (polar fleece whatever). Soft rubber and felt are both fine you won't be friends with anybody you go with who has an inflatable
    with cleats too...

Ralphie

Breathable waders are fine with a layer of fleece under them youíll be very comfortable. I would recommend a medium spinning rod for the silvers and an 8wt fly rod for the pinks. I set up the fly rod with some backing and 20# mono and the spinning rod with 15# mono.
    Then I would book Ron DeNardi @ 907-784-3301 and book at least on day with him to get insight on how to fish the area. Donít miss out on the great halibut fishing while your there either. See my prior posts for more info. Or PM me if you want to know more!!

Your going to love Yakutat

DD

I do plan on a day or two of halibut and am also fortunate to be invited by guys who have been going there every year for over a decade.

They basically said not to bring anything as they will provide all but I'd like to enjoy this precious time and not deal with the annoyances of ill fitting gear and reels that just aren't to my liking. I'm bringing all I need except for rods so that I can just simply have fun without distractions.

Thanks for the replies guys! They answered my big Q's allowing me to focus on the small stuff.

I'd reccomend a 5 wt for the pinks, and an 8 wt for silvers