Thread: Portable Winch?

Question Portable Winch?

Is a portable gas-powered winch considered a form of "motorized transportation"? Doesn't seem to me, since I'm not "riding" it, but I cannot assume that I think like wildlife regulators.

What is your take on this question?
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

If it's a wilderness area, I believe any gas powered device (like generator, chainsaw, etc) is prohibited.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

What is the situation you are referring to not allowing "motorized transportation"? Some regulations application is different depending on the specific wording and what the intended goal of the regulation is. Often times, there might be a definition buried somewhere in their regs, but not readily visible at first glance.

I was thinking in regards to some of the Controlled Use Areas that restrict motorized transportation. I assume they mean track rigs and atv....i.e. for walk-in only.
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeProclivity83 View Post
    I was thinking in regards to some of the Controlled Use Areas that restrict motorized transportation. I assume they mean track rigs and atv....i.e. for walk-in only.
    I agree with you. I don't see how a portable winch would fit into the category of "motorized vehicle" any more than something like a chainsaw would, but then again, there are some odd rules out there that don't always make sense. It would only take a few minutes to call someone such as ADF&G or the Troopers just to verify though and be on the safe side. I don't have any specific experience with the CUA's, so haven't spent the time reading through their specific regulations.

Why would anyone desire to carry a motorized winch on a "walk-in" hunt????

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Why would anyone desire to carry a motorized winch on a "walk-in" hunt????
    CUA doesn't mean you can't fly in.......check the regs.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Is a portable gas-powered winch considered a form of "motorized transportation"? Doesn't seem to me, since I'm not "riding" it, but I cannot assume that I think like wildlife regulators.
    What is your take on this question?
    It is definitely NOT motorized "TRANSPORTATION". I tried to ride one once and didn't get very far 3 times.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    It is definitely NOT motorized "TRANSPORTATION". I tried to ride one once and didn't get very far 3 times.
    One tried to ride ME once and I ended up with a few stitches and lucky I wasn't walking with a limp for the rest of my life.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Did you start taking the meds again after the 3rd try?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    CUA doesn't mean you can't fly in.......check the regs.
    My comment was based on post # 4.

Dude, who care's about the reasoning. Just asking a simple question that was a product of an unresolved prior conversation.
    -- Aldo Leopold

I do not know about CUA's. I do know on the Kenai national wildlife wilderness areas they specifically say no motors of any kind including chainsaws.
    My dads neighbor did get a permit for his chainsaw for some trail clearing he did on the refuge horse trails.
    So without knowing a little more it could be hard to answer.
    A rope along is probably much lighter and easier to carry in but it appears you are looking for a yes or know answer on a chainsaw winch.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

To answer your question, I hope not.

There is a controlled use area at the mouth of the Susitna I believe. You can take a boat there and park in along the bank. You can fly into the lake. You can't take an ATV and tear up the place. So in this case, no motorized means no wheels on the ground. I can't imagine why a powered winch could be considered transportation anyways, unless you are riding it through the swamp.

I have an electric winch "just in case" sometimes. I can pull a battery from the boat to run it for a short while. I have gone to the hand held rope winch instead and use a block and tackle set up to gain mechanical advantage. Slow, but way more portable.

One time I wanted to hunt in a state park that allowed hunting. I had questions and got a copy of there regulations. You can not believe what you can't do, such as you can't cut anything that is alive, or you can only have a fire on a sandbar. If I were you I would get a copy of there regulations to be safe.

I appreciate all the thoughtful answers. I do not have a "motorized" winch...just a come-a-long and am not intending on purchasing such a device. Again, just unresolved question and am curious if others know the answer. I agree, talking directly to those who enfore the wildlife regulations would give you the "technical" answer....most likely laden with jargon.
    -- Aldo Leopold

I agree, talking directly to those who enfore the wildlife regulations would give you the "technical" answer....most likely laden with jargon.
    You misunderstood me I did not say to talk to them. Get a copy and read it for yourself. That way there is no question as to what is legal.

That aggreement was in regards to anchskier's previous post. Well, the main sticking point for me is the "vehicle" part. There is no denying that the gas-powered portable winch is "motorized"; however, the regs connect vehicle to this, making it murky to me.

Alaska Stat. 28.90.990. :

Alaska Statutes - Section 28.90.990.:
    Definitions for title.

(16)
    "motor vehicle" means a vehicle which is self-propelled except a vehicle moved by human or animal power;

(29) "vehicle" means a device in, upon, or by which a person or property may be transported or drawn upon or immediately over a highway or vehicular way or area; "vehicle" does not include (A) devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks;
    (B) mobile homes;

(30) "vehicular way or area" means a way, path, or area, other than a highway or private property, that is designated by official traffic control devices or customary usage and that is open to the public for purposes of pedestrian or vehicular travel, and which way or area may be restricted in use to pedestrians, bicycles, or other specific types of vehicles as determined by the Department of Public Safety or other agency having jurisdiction over the way, path, or area

Now, above is lots of jargon to me.......

Is there another area of AK statutes that I should be looking at?
    -- Aldo Leopold