Thread: safety or advisability of leaving a boat unattended in the wilderness?

Default safety or advisability of leaving a boat unattended in the wilderness?

My son and I are looking in the ways to hunt dm769. one option is to use a jet boat or powered cataraft to cross the tanana and ferry an argo or wheeler. Has anyone had any experience of leaving the ferry boat tied up for a few days / week while hunting? Would the boat be there on return or do you need to leave a person and "" base camp " to keep an eye on things. Thirty years ago I would never have been concerned, now I am not sure if I am conderned because of my age or experience or just general paranoia.
    ?

Once again....where is DM769?

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Once again....where is DM769?
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=13970
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

That area gets a lot of traffic, especially during hunting season. I have a friend that has hunted it 2 or 3 times. He has an argo and gets a friend to shuttle him across and pick him up again.

If it was my boat, I wouldn't leave it unattended, even for a day. Maybe find someone that can shuttle you or someone that can stick around with the boat?

As an alternative, SPOT tracker makes a boat tracker. Meant more for marinas, but you can set it up so that if it moves it sends a signal. Would make it easy to track down the dirtbag that stole it. Would have to be pretty quick though, cause who knows what happens if they find the tracker pretty quick.

Richard

I believe it depends on what part of the Tanana you tie up. I float hunted it last fall and had an enjoyable trip, although there were some less than welcoming locals who weren't happy we were on "their" river. We kept a respective distance and still felt uncomfortable leaving anything in sight of the boats that scoot up and down the river all day. One gentelman and his family were very nice and walked down to greet us as we floated by, another group started firing their rifles in the air (not at us but close enough to make us want to get out of dodge). There were other sections of the river where we didn't even see a boat so you may be fine tying up there. Another thing to consider is flooding - last year was a horrible flood year and we even spotted an overturned jet boat washed up in one of the flood plains. Someone had tried to hide it by covering it with drift wood; could have been the owner trying to keep others from spotting it or it could have been someone trying to score a free jet boat. The motor looked toast but the hull was in good shape.

Not sure if this helps you make a decision but I thought I'd share.

Well I appreciate the input. This is definitly one of the great things about this forum, instant input to some of lifes puzzling questions. This tends to confirm my suspicions , we all probably would like to live in a place where all you have worry about is flooding and other "natural" events but human nature has probably changed little in the past ten thousand years.

Not sure how big of a boat you'll have but maybe use the argo to pull it up out of sight and than drag it back. Done that a few times with a 20ft jon boat

We've had times when we have left boats for multiple days without problem, but that has been in more remote, less trafficked areas. I would be more nervous in an area with frequent local traffic just because it would be easier for someone to get to just to cause problems than if it was a day's trip from the put in. Even in more remote areas, we have made sure to do what we could to at least make life a little harder for someone intent on doing something. Remove an outboard and cable lock it to another part of the boat. At least they would have to have the ability to cut/break the lock/cable/mounting point to use that motor or be stuck trying to tow it away whole. Might not stop them, but would take a bit longer and maybe make it a little more obvious for someone else seeing something going on to take note of it. Maybe stash things in multiple locations (fuel 100 yards into the woods in one way, outboard somewhere else, etc... just so they might get one thing, but not everything without some good time searching? Also, aside from human potential, if you have an inflatable, consider chances that a bear might consider it a fun toy to play with. Have a patch kit available. Same goes for plastic fuel cans, bears seem to like to take a taste of them. When leaving fuel stashes, we only stash metal cans just for this reason.

Anytime you leave anything unattended, you do so at your own peril. What's your risk tolerance?