Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Default GPS

What is a GOOD GPS for alaska that shows contour lines, water and unit boundary lines?

Just a good over all GPS for up here

The presentation of contour lines, water and unit boundary lines has little to do with the quality of the GPS unit used to view them (assuming the GPS has mapping ability). Rather, it has more to do with the quality of the maps being viewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60cs. Great unit, I think it's 2-3 versions out of date now, but it still works great. I bought a set of topo maps for it, and they have all of the regular qualities of a topo map. I just posted in the outdoor gear forum yesterday to ask about a new map I saw advertised. Don't know anything about it, but they claim to have GMU boundaries, land ownership, etc.

Any mapping GPS will do it. But get a Garmin as they are the best. Hands down.

If you want good topo maps (contours), you'll want to get something like the Alaska Enhanced Topo set from Garmin (24K where available, 100K in between).

If you want to see water (coastal waterways and marine charts), you have to get the appropriate BlueChip SD card. (disregard if you're just talking about inland lakes and streams... those are on the Enhanced Topo set).

If you want to see GMU boundary lines, you'll have to look at the HuntAK SD card (basically 100K topo with property and political/government boundary lines on it). Check these out at http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

So, you'll need 2-3 different sets of maps to do all that you are asking about. Unfortunate, but that's just the way it is.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Great discussion so far on this but I believe that there is some leeway to not get a bunch of maps instead get one good map and some overlay files that mark the GMUs.
    A helpful member on this form provided a link to where that overlay file or whatever its called can be downloaded for free and then upload it to your Garmin and that way when you're just going around on your Garmin looking around you always know what game unit you're in.

Maybe others here can find that old thread?

I'll add another vote for the Garmin, I have an Oregon that I like a lot but I don't think I'd get a touch screen again if I were to do it over.

It works good I just would prefer the old controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does anyone have experience with the Magellan that has the power saving/tracking options when turned off?

Most intuitive ones are Garmin. Stay away from touch screens. The e-trex 20 is light and has good battery life. The Garmin USA 100k topo maps are all the detail you need for AK, since that's about as good as our 63k USGS topos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i love my garmin 62 st been my favorite gps.

I had the Rhino 120 and that one was an excellent GPS. Recently Cabelas had the Garmin Oregon on sale and I bought one of those. It's pretty good and I like it, but I do miss the simplicity of the Rhino 120.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by AKChester View Post
    The Garmin USA 100k topo maps are all the detail you need for AK, since that's about as good as our 63k USGS topos.
    I disagree. The Garmin Alaska Enhanced is a far better map set for Alaska. It has 24K maps where available and much better feature detail everywhere in between. Night and day difference between the two. Take a look at the following comparison between the north america basemap, Topo USA, and AK Enhanced. Same spot; same scale.

GarminMapCompare.jpg
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

has anyone used one of those maps that has the gmu boundaries on them that could share their experience? reliable?
    btw, i have a garmin oregon (with touchscreen). i know there is a lot of debate surrounding the touchscreen; however, i haven't had any troubles with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    does anyone have experience with the Magellan that has the power saving/tracking options when turned off?
    Magellan has really shown its respect for Alaska hunters by producing the new eXplorist 350H ($250.00), and I plan on supporting them for this reason. It was designed for hunters, and they used our very own Alaska Outdoors TV guys to help design it. It shows all of our Alaska unit boundaries, and has a ton of hunting-specific way point markers too. Maybe other manufacturers offer some higher quality GPS units, but I respect the heck out of Magellan for catering to hunters and not being ashamed to advertise that fact, unlike other companies who try to appeal to broad demographics while taking hunters for granted.

I used to have a Garmin 440T, until I lost it up a mountain Now I have a Garmin 550T. Just as good if not better. I can follow the exact same track within feet on the way down a mountain. Accurate Topo, ocean, and contour lines.

ak-fang... see post #4. It is ok, but not great. It's a 100K topo map overlaid with public domain property line data. You can download GMU boundary overlays for free and view them on any Garmin GPS that supports maps. It's public domain data that is free to access.

PacWest... you need to look a little closer at Garmin. They most certainly do cater to hunters. Take a look at their Astro and Rino models. Who else has a hunting GPS that will show you the real time location of up to 10 hunting dogs on the screen via radio tracking collars on the dogs? They've had hunting/fishing "apps" in their GPS units for as long as I can remember. Tides, moon phases, and a whole bunch of hunting waypoint markers are already in there. I looked up the Magellan 350H and the user reviews are pretty low. It has a touch screen that is poorly rated (as most touch screens are when used in the outdoors). And the dang case is camo. I've known folks who bought camo case Magellan GPS in the past. The GPS are still laying out there in the wilderness somewhere. Silly idea to make an invisible GPS to lose in the woods. Finally, Magellan has been notorious for being difficult to update and nearly impossible to do custom maps on. I'll never own a Magellan.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Great discussion so far on this but I believe that there is some leeway to not get a bunch of maps instead get one good map and some overlay files that mark the GMUs.
    A helpful member on this form provided a link to where that overlay file or whatever its called can be downloaded for free and then upload it to your Garmin and that way when you're just going around on your Garmin looking around you always know what game unit you're in.

Maybe others here can find that old thread?
    Didn't look for the old thread. I might have been the one posting the link.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/ak

I made my own version of the GMU's from data i got from the GIS folks in AK.

Lots of stuff you can do nowadays.

I still can't believe we can pinpoint our location on earth with a $200 GPS.

How times have changed in my 6 or so decades.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I have an oregon 650t touchscreen and for my uses I love it. Small compact and quick to zoom in and out by pinching the screen. Quick to scroll through maps. Also nice to turn I to. It's side and use in landscape mode. For maps I like the sd cards that Joat pointed out.

Joat any thoughts on the new 64 series?

i may not be savvy enough, but it doesn't look like that gmu map is free anymore. that whole website was new to me and looks very promising. i'm currently downloading an ak topo map from there...i'm just assuming it's a reputable source. i put on my aluminum foil hat and get a bit skeptical when i come across free content on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Didn't look for the old thread. I might have been the one posting the link.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/ak

I made my own version of the GMU's from data i got from the GIS folks in AK.

Lots of stuff you can do nowadays.

I still can't believe we can pinpoint our location on earth with a $200 GPS.

How times have changed in my 6 or so decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    i may not be savvy enough, but it doesn't look like that gmu map is free anymore. that whole website was new to me and looks very promising. i'm currently downloading an ak topo map from there...i'm just assuming it's a reputable source. i put on my aluminum foil hat and get a bit skeptical when i come across free content on the internet.
    You are right, I didn't open the GMU file to check it out.

I can send you a GMU's that I made myself. It's a little geeky. I'd have to mail it on CD. Too big for me to email.
    If you just want a unit or 2, I can email those.
    I think I put some up on this site a few years ago. Search my past post and you can find them..

Somewhere on the web there was a freebee GMU. A little Google-Fu may get you some.

I've downloaded a few things from that site without problems.

Here is a GMU I made up while reading my email.

I just picked a unit, 16 something.

It's a .gpx file. you can open it in Google Earth or Garmin mapsource. From mapsource or Google Earth you can then get it to your GPS.

I made up all the GMU's at the same time, it's a 24MB file. Takes a while to open.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast