Thread: Spring caribou- Haul Road

Default Spring caribou- Haul Road

I am planning on a mid April haul road caribou hunt this year. I will be rifle hunting, so plan on skiing or snowshoeing in the 5 miles, and towing a sled. Tried this hunt in October with snowshoes and a sled. It worked great, except we couldnt find the bou. Wondering what people suggest in terms of finding the animals in April. Should I pick a spot ahead of time and stick with it, or just drive the highway hoping to find some groups of animals which could give us an indication of where to go in? I imagine this time of year, you dont have to to go very far north of the mountains? Any tips or stories from your own spring hunts would be great!

I'll be going as well. First timer though, and most likely archery hunt.

My buddy did a nice write up of a ski-in spring hunt off the Dalton Highway. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=586. I've done the same hunt in the late fall with little luck. If you need to find out where the caribou are, look in the bowhunting forum for a Haul Road Report. If i were you, i would plan on driving at least past coldfoot and glassing the sourthern foothills of the Brooks.

Had thought of doing the same hunt this Spring. Maybe do an overnighter if necessary. I have never been past the Yukon river yet so it's all new to me.

Release Lake Trout

I have hunted the last 4 years up there on skis and sled it is no joke. We have killed every year but if you are not properly prepared for one of the most physically draining hunts you will either fail or die. Invest in good equipment and spot the caribou from the road with good optics and try and ski out to cut them off usually it is a multi-day event just to get the 5 miles and get in front of them. Pm me if you want more info.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

You could die out there, that arctic is no joke

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    I have hunted the last 4 years up there on skis and sled it is no joke. We have killed every year but if you are not properly prepared for one of the most physically draining hunts you will either fail or die. Invest in good equipment and spot the caribou from the road with good optics and try and ski out to cut them off usually it is a multi-day event just to get the 5 miles and get in front of them. Pm me if you want more info.
    Thanks Chansen, pm sent your way