Thread: Opinions needed....Cessna 150m L48 to AK

Default Opinions needed....Cessna 150m L48 to AK

I have my opinion, curious what other have to say: Scenario: Wings pulled and trailer aircraft or fly a standard 150m (22.5 gal useable) from WI-->ID--> AK. Allowing a week/week & a half (last week in May, into June). Other than standard/required maps/gps/survival kit, couple jugs of fuel, what else would you bring (knowing you only have 120# in baggage). Private pilot is just under 100 hrs TT. Curious as what others think...I'm sure more info is needed. Thanks

Everybody had less than a hundred hours at one time.....fly the thing up the highway....don't push the wx or the fuel reserve....take your time and be safe, more fun that way....

What I think is...I try to fly the airplane whenever I can and wherever I can. If you can give yourself a couple more days wiggle room for weather it might be good, but you won't learn anything about flying by crating it up. My two cents.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Supporting Member

SPOT PLB, food, small thermos of coffee, small water bottles (all that can sit on right seat in a small bag that can be secured with seat belt but easy to reach into in flight and won't get in way of right seat yoke, if any). Individual hand wipes to clean hands after eating. These are all comfort-type items that can make long flight legs a lot more comfortable. Something to pee in. Just my two cents....

I have flown a C-150 back and forth a couple-three times.
    Survival gear in the rear, and a basket full of flight comfort items seat belted into the other seat.

Dorthy Scott Airport in Oroville WA. Top off fuel.... Motels are cheap and the the burger place is very nice.
    Pentictin BC for Canadian Customs. Kinda windy by the customs door so have some chocks.
    Kamloops BC, Top of fuel. You can stay here in bad weather or darkness.
    Williams Lake BC Top off fuel, Maybe stay the night at Tim the form airport guys B&B Tim is retired from the airport.
    Prince George BC. Top off fuel. ( avoid staying there as the hotels cost a lot.)
    Fly through Piney Pass up to Fort Saint John Top off fuel. Ok place to get stuck for the night.
    Fort Nelson, again top off fuel. Hotels are expensive and a long cab ride into town.
    Watson Lake, Top off fuel and maybe stay the night at the fuel guy's B&B. Cool old Lend-Lease air base.
    White Horse. Top off fuel, call the US customs and tell them you are coming.
    Northway or Tok Alaska for US Customs. Fast Eddies Pizza in Tok is a good place to eat and they have a motel.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I'd bring the same stuff I'd take on a hunt. Small tent, sleeping bag, stove, rations, typical fast/light hunting/survival gear. I'd wear treking clothes that wash and rinse easily. I'd flight plan for overnight settings that suited me. That could include motels and camping. A shower every other day would be nice. I'd plan for a morning shift and afternoon shift of flying with a fuel stop/leg stretch stop in the middle. More stops wouldn't hurt my feelings. Unknown surroundings look different with half tanks than with near empty tanks. Instead of pressing to set a record I'd allow to take some time and enjoy the journey.

File a flight plan for every single leg you fly- simple and good insurance.