Thread: I need a tipi for a sheep hunt

Default I need a tipi for a sheep hunt

Ill be buying a tipi for a sheep hunt, I am leaning towards the seek outside back country 2. Does anybody have one, do you like it? Also I would be interested in a used one if anyone has one for sale. I would consider other brands let me know what you think

Default I need a tipi for a sheep hunt

Check out the Golight Shangri-La. Note that the weights listed on their website include the bug netting. The fly can be used without the bug netting for lightweight option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of the sod skirt on the back country, have you used the go lite with out the floor/netting, is it drafty or does it make a good seal to the ground, Also how much weight can you shed with out the netting assuming I had the Shangri la 5

I started with a Golite SL3 and loved it. Sent it to a company for a modification and the post office lost it so I decided to upgrade. I now have a Locus Gear Khufu in Cuben fiber and a Bearpaw Wilderness Designs inner nest. Tent weighs 15 ounces and nest 11 ounces. 1 pound 10 ounces total with stakes and guylines. Not as much space as the SL3 but can't beat the weight and I can have it pitched in 30 seconds.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393595067.693342.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393595109.858128.jpg

Default Another one for the mix

Have you checked out SO's LBO. I used one on Kodiak last fall (goat hunt) and with the 3 piece vestibule, there's plenty of room for 2 plus gear (70sf). We had several days in Oct. with very strong winds, and this thing handled it without any issues. Wt. is 26 oz. with the 3 piece vest.

I have teh SL3 and SL5, both are great tents. I have the weights at home with and without nests. The SL3 bucks wind better than teh 5, but the 5 has more room and doesnt; weight much more than the 3 so i usually carry the 5. Haven;t had an issue with drafts so long as I take time to get it tight.

Have a look at the Bearpaw Pyratent, my hunting partner that has been using a SL5 for several seasons just upgraded to this one, half the weight of a SL5. Floorless is awesome, after getting used to this style, I find it hard to stay in a floored tent now.

http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/pyraTent.html
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have been using an SL5 for the last 4 years. I like it quite a bit. The amount of room to weight is amazing and floorless is really nice.

Mine finally ate the dust this past fall but at 40+ days in it a year I can't complain.

I replaced it with another SL5 and I'm looking forward to getting another four years out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I started with a Golite SL3 and loved it. Sent it to a company for a modification and the post office lost it so I decided to upgrade. I now have a Locus Gear Khufu in Cuben fiber and a Bearpaw Wilderness Designs inner nest. Tent weighs 15 ounces and nest 11 ounces. 1 pound 10 ounces total with stakes and guylines. Not as much space as the SL3 but can't beat the weight and I can have it pitched in 30 seconds.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393595067.693342.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393595109.858128.jpg
    That looks like a sweet set up! Have you had it in any good blows? Man, a 10 oz. shelter of that size is pretty darn cool. If you don't mind me asking, What was the cost of just the Khufu? I was on their site, but can't figure out the pricing. Also, any issues with ordering/receiving it?

Quote Originally Posted by livin View Post
    I like the idea of the sod skirt on the back country, have you used the go lite with out the floor/netting, is it drafty or does it make a good seal to the ground, Also how much weight can you shed with out the netting assuming I had the Shangri la 5
    I don't have the experience that a lot of these guys have with the GL-5, but I do own one... and yeah, it's somewhat drafty in a wind. There are some tricks to stake it a little closer to the ground, but you aren't going to get a perfect seal.

That could be considered a "design feature", as good ventilation is required to deal with the condensation of a single wall shelter.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    That looks like a sweet set up! Have you had it in any good blows? Man, a 10 oz. shelter of that size is pretty darn cool. If you don't mind me asking, What was the cost of just the Khufu? I was on their site, but can't figure out the pricing. Also, any issues with ordering/receiving it?
    I've been on four 7-8 day hunts with it so far and on one of those trips was the worst weather I've been out in. 50 mph winds and raining sideways for 3 days straight and the shelter performed great. Only issue I had was real heavy gusts pulling up the stakes a few times. (I'm using those light titanium shepard hook stakes). Cost was about $475 because of the Cuben material and they also offer a less expensive Silnylon version. The owner was great to deal with and did a couple custom mods for me for free. Shipping only cost $10 and got to me from Japan in 5-6 days. Very happy with it so far but from this point on it's only going to be a sheep/ goat tent. I plan on picking up a SL5 for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I don't have the experience that a lot of these guys have with the GL-5, but I do own one... and yeah, it's somewhat drafty in a wind. There are some tricks to stake it a little closer to the ground, but you aren't going to get a perfect seal.

That could be considered a "design feature", as good ventilation is required to deal with the condensation of a single wall shelter.

Yk

Usually I just put my gear or my partner on the side the wind is coming from!

A good friend of mine has the titanium goat 6.5 and it. He has been using for 8 yrs sheep and moose hunting and said the liner would be nice to help with the condensate, but he said it isn't that big of a deal. These smaller tents would be sweet, but I plan on sleeping 3 people, I'm 6'4 my wife and 13 yr old boy, so I really like the idea of 100 square ft for 3lbs 8oz