Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early run kings CLOSED on the Kenai for 2014

Default Early run kings CLOSED on the Kenai for 2014

ADF&G just issued a news release saying that the early run Kenai River chinook is closed for the 2014 season.

EXPLANATION:

This emergency order closes the Kenai River to sport fishing for early-run king salmon. The Kenai River will be closed to sport fishing for king salmon from the mouth upstream to the outlet of Skilak Lake and in the Moose River from its confluence with the Kenai River upstream to the northernmost edge of the Sterling Highway bridge beginning at 12:01 a.m., Thursday, May 1, through 11:59 p.m., Monday, June 30, 2014. Sport fishing for king salmon will remain closed from 12:01 a.m., Tuesday, July 1 through 11:59 p.m., Thursday, July 31, 2014 in waters of the Kenai River drainage from an ADF&G regulatory marker located approximately 300 yards downstream from the mouth of Slikok Creek, upstream to the outlet of Skilak Lake, and in the Moose River from its confluence with the Kenai River upstream to the northernmost edge of the Sterling Highway bridge. This closure prohibits all sport fishing for king salmon, including catch-and-release fishing. King salmon may not be retained or possessed; king salmon accidentally caught while fishing for other species may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately.

ADN article here...

http://www.adn.com/2014/02/27/334909...for-early.html
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Gonna be a zoo at Kasilof.

Hope they've got some contingency plans for l'il sis.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Gonna?..........as far as I'm concerned it has been for years.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Looks like phase 1 of the contingency plan has been released…

ONE single hook, no bait, no wild retention

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1910
    The KeenEye MD

I don't think folks are going to even try without their beloved Bait.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Hurray!! About damp time!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Hurray!! About damp time!
    F&G got it right this time. I've been in favor of NO King fishing until min escapement goal is met or projected to be met.

The minimum escarpment goals are a joke! They should shut them all down all over the state for at least a full cycle of a fish return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As usual the sport fisherman get screwed, but you can bet the commercial fisherman will be pulling them out of the water by the thousands. The clowns that are making the decisions need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Angl3r View Post
    As usual the sport fisherman get screwed, but you can bet the commercial fisherman will be pulling them out of the water by the thousands. The clowns that are making the decisions need to go.
    I don't know or even begin to understand how commercial fishing works in its entirety but from what I can read they have been EO'd as well. From 5-12 hour openings down to 4-6 hour openings. Thats less than half the fishing time. I would love to see them shut down as well but for now I'll take what I can get. There are probably at least a dozen other issues that need to be addressed but you have to start somewhere.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Default Kasilof not closed but not worth bothering

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Hope they've got some contingency plans for l'il sis.
    Yep, everyone with access to a boat will be packed on the river. The last time they did this it was despicable. People with no idea of how to act on the river just making the whole scene miserable.

Why would they think that if the Kenai needed to be closed the Kasilof should remain open? And don't say "hatchery fish" cause those are going away also. I recall reading somewhere that about 1 fish returned to the hatchery last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TRT01 View Post
    Yep, everyone with access to a boat will be packed on the river. The last time they did this it was despicable. People with no idea of how to act on the river just making the whole scene miserable.

Why would they think that if the Kenai needed to be closed the Kasilof should remain open? And don't say "hatchery fish" cause those are going away also. I recall reading somewhere that about 1 fish returned to the hatchery last year.
    I don't even think they ran the hatch box the year before last. The valley has gone the same route and closed everything under the sun.... except the Deshka. What do you think is going to happen there?

Who are the ones that will be pulling what from where. How are the sportsmen getting screwed by protecting King salmon. The only step left was to protect the spawning grounds in river. Could you name the clowns you are pointing fingers at?

I totally disagree, the sport guys have been the only ones not getting screwed up to this point………sure will be a great year for reds!!!!!!!! If the clowns keep this up, I say keep them in there!

You do know that the early run kings are off limits to the gillnet fleet, right?

Always amazing to see the reaction to partial information. Doc should have posted the rest of the EOs along with the Kenai river one. They basically shut the whole Cook Inlet down. And its about dang time, too.

The Commerical Fishermen have been completely shut down on this early run of Kings for 10 years now. Stop putting out guide propaganda about the commerical fishermen are still going.

The Kasilof has an EO for heavily restricted early run King fishing as well. One hatchery fish limit. No wild fish. Single hook, no bait. Period.

Even salt water has an EO restricting King fishing... only 2 Kings for the entire season, from any LCI source (including the LCI freshwater rivers).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the additional info JOAT. I haven't done the reading, so I don't know all the details but do you know how they will handle the later run? If they close the later run sport catch, does the commercial get shut down (or limited) as well?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    Thanks for the additional info JOAT. I haven't done the reading, so I don't know all the details but do you know how they will handle the later run? If they close the later run sport catch, does the commercial get shut down (or limited) as well?

Scott
    There's a very good chance they could get shut down but word on the street is the Commercial guys are only going to be allowed to fish down South down by the South Line as to not over harvest on any particular king run. They still need to harvest Sockeyes. An over abundance of Sockeyes in river isn't a good thing for future King runs or the rivers ecology either. Only time will tell.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    There's a very good chance they could get shut down but word on the street is the Commercial guys are only going to be allowed to fish down South down by the South Line as to not over harvest on any particular king run. They still need to harvest Sockeyes. An over abundance of Sockeyes in river isn't a good thing for future King runs or the rivers ecology either. Only time will tell.
    Allowing increased limits for sport anglers and additional dipnet hours could put a massive dent into in-river sockeye stocks. It would hurt the comm fleets pockets and the world market but how much of a concern is that for residents?

I feel that the lower Kenai being open on the first of July is to give the setnetters a shot at the peak of the red run. If the Kenai is closed it would be hard to let the setnetters fish. KERSA would be head hunting after that. Heads would roll!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast