Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diy halibut fishing lodge

Default Diy halibut fishing lodge

I am looking for a diy fishing lodge with the target fish being halibut. If salmon are available fine but not necessary. We would much prefer the SE part of AK.

I have not been there but you might look at Sea otter lodge out of Ketchikan, it looks nice and you get your own boat to go out and explore

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DLALLDER View Post
    I am looking for a diy fishing lodge with the target fish being halibut. If salmon are available fine but not necessary. We would much prefer the SE part of AK.
    I would consider Water's edge lodge in Elfin Cove and Doc Warner's in Excursion Inlet. Both places give you a chance at trophy halibut in DIY fashion. I have been going to Water's Edge last 3 years(going again this year). I am more of salmon guy and often do not have the patience or the talent/skill for halibut fishing but have caught 70 plus lbs halibut every year. In my opinion, Water's Edge Lodge has the best DIY fishing in Alaska. Google their website and browse through their photo gallery( all photos are from last 3 years) and I think you will be impressed.

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

Take a good look at Coffman Cove on Prince of Wales Island. More DIY operations than anywhere else in SE Alaska. You are fishing on the inside passage and the fishing is excellent. Depending on your budget you can rent boats from 16' to 22', cook your own meals, clean your own fish or have it all done for you. Everyone who has lodging has freezer space and most offer boat rentals. The locals are friendly and honest. Coffman Cove also has the best bar on the island. I will not recommend anyone in particular as they are all friends and I would like to keep them as friends. I would strongly recommend no matter where you go that you hire a charter the first day to learn the ropes. Did I mention the salmon fishing is great! You can get to the island via ferry from Ketchikan or fly into Klawock. Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffman Cove View Post
    Take a good look at Coffman Cove on Prince of Wales Island. More DIY operations than anywhere else in SE Alaska. You are fishing on the inside passage and the fishing is excellent. Depending on your budget you can rent boats from 16' to 22', cook your own meals, clean your own fish or have it all done for you. Everyone who has lodging has freezer space and most offer boat rentals. The locals are friendly and honest. Coffman Cove also has the best bar on the island. I will not recommend anyone in particular as they are all friends and I would like to keep them as friends. I would strongly recommend no matter where you go that you hire a charter the first day to learn the ropes. Did I mention the salmon fishing is great! You can get to the island via ferry from Ketchikan or fly into Klawock. Have a great trip.
    What he said, especially the part about hiring a charter the first day. Tried it the other way, wasted several days. I did Thorne Bay at a DIY place twice and it was tons of fun. Chartered out of Coffman Cove two times, seems like a really great place and will look there next time I go.

What does it cost you to fly out of Coffman Cove with a bunch of fish?

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

My advice is not to fly into Coffman Cove. No scheduled service and as a result it is expensive. Fly into Klawock from Ketchikan on Island Air. They are a great company with excellent quality planes. They can give you rates for what the fish boxes will cost you. The cheapest option is to take the ferry from Ketchikan to Hollis. Many of the businesses in Coffman Cove will pick you up. They also have rental vehicles. I forgot to mention if you do hire a charter this first day a couple of thoughts. I would tell them you are fishing on your own for the rest of your trip and prefer if he drifts for halibut as opposed to anchoring up. I don't think anyone renting boats will furnish you an anchor or want you anchoring. There is a steep learning cove when anchoring in deep water with up to 20' tides. It can be dangerous. I would also spend part of the day salmon fishing.

Ok thanks for the info, we will check it out for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffman Cove View Post
    My advice is not to fly into Coffman Cove. No scheduled service and as a result it is expensive. Fly into Klawock from Ketchikan on Island Air. They are a great company with excellent quality planes. They can give you rates for what the fish boxes will cost you. The cheapest option is to take the ferry from Ketchikan to Hollis. Many of the businesses in Coffman Cove will pick you up. They also have rental vehicles. I forgot to mention if you do hire a charter this first day a couple of thoughts. I would tell them you are fishing on your own for the rest of your trip and prefer if he drifts for halibut as opposed to anchoring up. I don't think anyone renting boats will furnish you an anchor or want you anchoring. There is a steep learning cove when anchoring in deep water with up to 20' tides. It can be dangerous. I would also spend part of the day salmon fishing.
    I agree with everything Coffman Cove said here. I have flown in and out of Klawock when I have been short on time. It is a short, scenic, inexpensive flight, but I prefer the ferry (more relaxing, really cheap, and not subject to bad weather delays/cancelations).

Anchoring for halibut can be "challenging". Even if the boat has great ground tackle, unless someone has given you a bunch of GPS coordinates and the tides when they are best fished, you will catch more halibut drifting than anchoring.

Big_E

We have also flown into Wrangle on Alaska and taken a water taxie to Coffman Cove . was cheaper at that time then flying and we could bring all of are gear and fish back accross with out the extra charge for weight

Halibut fishing isn't hard, and if you are spending 12 hour days fishing for them, it'd only make sense to stick to the bottom with an anchor. You can anchor up 4 times in a day in different spots, and even somebody with no experience will get a few nice ones a day, unless you are the unluckiest guy on the planet.

Get ahold of Gooch for Coffman. The food alone is worth the rent and the entertainment is free. The only place I go on POW.

Sent from my iPhone while hiding with a gun and a bottle.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

270ti is right. I hate to say it, but I vote for Elfin Cove only because I like it

I have talked with Mike at Coffman Cove. Has anyone flown out of Coffman's with say 200 lbs of fish, if you did what was the extra cost with the small plane? I have been told that round trip was $270 pp. from Ketchikan. How often does the ferry run? Would any fish being taken back home be in danger of spoiling if by ferry?

I have talked with Mike at Coffman Cove. Has anyone flown out of Coffman's with say 200 lbs of fish, if you did what was the extra cost with the small plane? I have been told that round trip was $270 pp. from Ketchikan. How often does the ferry run? Would any fish being taken back home be in danger of spoiling if by ferry?
    200lbs of fish per person? Don't cut yourself short now..(grin)

$270 is the round trip cost for a scheduled flight from Ketchikan to/from KLAWOCK, not Coffman Cove. Expect to pay at least double that, probably more, for a charter flight to/from Coffman Cove. The cost for the regularly scheduled flight does not cover excess baggage. Last time I flew was about 3 years ago. The excess baggage fee was around $0.40/lb.

The ferry will take a little longer than flying, so some of your fish might be a little softer by the time you get home, but it won't be spoiled. Pay the extra $$ for the fish boxes with a styrofoam liner, ideally the molded, two piece kind, to make sure your fish arrives back home in good shape, even if there are flight delays.

Big_E

Ouch, it sounds like it would be much better to take a water taxi

Vaaler, You are correct. I was not thinking when I put Coffman Cove as the air destination. Klawock is the destination and Coffman Cove pick up the guests.

I've fished a couple of times out of both Coffman and Craig. Solid frozen 50# boxes with insulated liners will not even think about thawing on the ferry ride back to Ketchikan.

We fly all the way back to South Texas and our biggest fear is getting the boxes off the plane and home with the temp usually 100+ in July or August. One advantage/disadvantage coming from San Antonio is we can't get home in 1 day using the Ferry. There are no connections. So we overnight in Seattle and store the fish boxes in the freezer at the airport, (ken's storage), and check them back in as baggage for the flight home.

I am not an expert by any means, but I've been to POW island on 5 different trips and I'm going back this coming July. Shoot me a PM and I would be happy to answer any questions or at least point you to the people who have the answers. ;-)

I rent a van in Ketchikan, take the ferry to Hollis, drive to my destination, Coffman Cove, Craig, Nakitie, fish, get it frozen, pack in Styrofoam lined boxes, and take the van back on the ferry, fly out Alaskan Airlines, The fish will last at least 2 days, might be a little thawed, but still have ice crystals, so just get it back in the freezer. fish is great for a year. Have fun, the ferry ride and the drive are worth the extra time. But remember the speed limit on POW is 50 MPH not 55 MPH. Don't ask me how I know. He was real nice, just a warning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast