Thread: GPS hunting maps?

Default GPS hunting maps?

Hey guys,

I saw this advertised in a magazine. Just checking out their website. Looks like a pretty handy product. Just wondering if anyone has tried this. Any reviews? I'm guessing they are pretty accurate on national park boundaries, state land, etc., but maybe not so accurate on GMU boundaries, native owned land, and so forth.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

Richard

I got it for my handheld gps unit last year and used it during a unit 13 carabou hunt.
    The land ownership was vary accurate. Found my house on a 1/3 acre lot in town, and it was within 50 feet of the real world. Driving to the hunt it was 50 to 100 feet of the GMU signs along the highway. (Of course we were traveling at highway speeds at the time.) My only issue with it was it indicated trails on the map that we could not find in the real world. Out of 10 I would give it a 9 for land ownership, and GMU boundaries, and a 2 on terrain features like trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good people and a great product. Spent a bit of time with their C.S. and they were very helpful and will continue to upgrade their product when possible. Strong support here.

Have it. Don't use it very much as Garmin's Alaska Enhanced Topo set is considerably better maps, especially when coupled with NorthWest trails for a good transparent trail overlay. The only time I use the HuntAK card is when I actually need to see property ownership or published government boundaries. One thing I have noticed is that the background color shading of KPB and CIRI land is offset from the actual lines by a couple hundred yards east/west. So you have to look at the property lines and not as much the color blocks.

At any rate, it seems like a decent enough product and I'm sure it would be much more useful to someone down in America and not as much someone up in Alaska. I've found that it has more benefit to geocaching for figuring out land ownership than it does to hunting.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

In my limited use of the program "Hunt AK plat map for GPS"; I am not impressed with it. If you rely on this program for property borders it could get you in trouble. Particularly military land vs. state land; some of those boundaries are not even close when compared with DNR and military maps. GMU boundaries are not accurate either. I don't know about the native land tracts accuracy, but I would be very cautious about the accuracy of that too. The in town/close to town plats appear fairly accurate. The detail topographically is lacking. For example the various rivers, some very large rivers are simply depicted with a narrow blue line; that is no better than what a typical road map offers. Additionally you cannot print maps with the plat data. My opinion is, it is very over priced for what you get. The idea is great, and it could be a great product with some serious refinement.

I would give land ownership a C-. At least for federal/state land. Very outdated. I purchased the (c)2012 version and it has 1980s rendition of coverage around the Glennallen area.
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

How much more detail do you get with the Garmin Alaska enhanced version vs. either the AKhuntMaps product or the Garmin US 100K maps?

I don't think that there are any 24K maps available for the North slope that I am aware of - is the detail any better on the Alaska enhanced version?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I don't think that there are any 24K maps available for the North slope that I am aware of
    There are almost no 24k maps for anywhere in Alaska. Until very recently, the only map scale available for AK was 1:63k. In the past about two years, USGS started a program to create all new maps for all of AK down to 1:24k using new radar mapping data. Unfortunately for us, they are doing all the major cities first. As I recall, the only areas where a 1:24k map exists is Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Bet your GPS can't tell you that. I learned all that from the folks at the USGS map store at APU this past winter...the one that is being closed down because everyone buys GPS maps now.

My GPS couldn't tell me that , but a quick google search did. I didn't have time to update the post, but your info is spot on.

It seems the difference between US TOPO 100K and the Alaska Enhanced version is that your wallet is 100.00 lighter after you purchase the enhanced version (and it provides less detail, but gives you the ability to "route").

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My GPS couldn't tell me that , but a quick google search did. I didn't have time to update the post, but your info is spot on.

It seems the difference between US TOPO 100K and the Alaska Enhanced version is that your wallet is 100.00 lighter after you purchase the enhanced version (and it provides less detail, but gives you the ability to "route").
    For what it's worth, I have National Gepgrahic Topo on my home compuer, and I really like it. Sadly, Garmin's proprietery poop won't accept the maps to a handheld, but you can do all of you route planning and then transfer your routes and waypoints to you Garmin with it

Just checking to see if there are any updates to these maps.

I'm about to overlay Garmin TOPO maps to my Garmin marine unit and already own the Garmin TOPO US 100K which is 1:100,000. The new TOPO Alaska Enhanced is 1:24,000 and 1:63,360. Have things changed since 2010 and is the Alaska Enhanced version now any good? Looking at the disk case it appears it hasn't been updated since MAR 2011?

I don't want to waste the $100 if I don't need to. Thanks in advance.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Questions answered.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Questions answered.

What's the answer?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Can you load the garmin topo maps to a garmin chartplotter? That would be cool to have on my 7610xsv in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can but the maps depend on your device. My old GPSMAP 398 had them uploaded and finally died with no option to repair. Talking to Garmin I bought a Echomap 74dv which takes a Micro SD card (up to 32 GB) so you can update internal software and upload various Garmin Maps. I'm using this on Alaska's internal waterways and the Garmin Alaska maps will upload. Im on my phone but can post a link to Garmins website for anyone wanting to check the compatability of their device(s).

This is what I was told by Garmin:

To verify if you can add Garmin Topo Maps to your unit goto https://www.garmin.com/en-US/

Click on Maps

Click on Outdoor Maps

Click on Shop Outdoor Maps

On the right, click on Select a Region for the specific map you want (TOPO 24K, TOPO 100K, Hunt View, TOPO, Trailhead Series, BirdsEye Topo Raster, BirdsEye Satellite Imagery)

(pop up window)

Click on Learn More

Once you get on the Map page, click on COMPATIBLE DEVICES. (sometimes it takes a second to appear)

Now all you have to do is scroll down and if you find your device listed the map will work and you can upload it with your Micro SD card. Click on your device for detailed information.

** Note TOPO 24K Alaska Enhanced is a better map but does not have every trail listed like the 100K version. Garmin said this is because they only used 'verified' information (paraphrasing). You may see a few less trails but all and all the map is much better.

*** If you buy a new GPS Garmin unit, you can download a map when you register your device (one time) and get 10% off.