Thread: Wanting to relocate

Default Wanting to relocate

I have been wanting to relocate to Alaska for as long as I can remember, and now I am finally getting serious(I figure I've wasted enough time.) Anyway, I've been doing research, and I figure the best way to get all my stuff up there would either be by rail, or ship. Hauling it by truck is out, since I want to live in the bush. Am I correct about this? As of now, I am cutting down on all non-essentials, trying to get ready. I am reading up on this website, and several others. Do ya'll have any other suggestions to prepare? I figure this is going to take me several years, at the least. The important thing to me is, I'm finally doing it!!!

I'll jump in first here though many will follow with more detailed information and probably better advice. Barging can be a good cost effective option depending on where you are headed. Google is your friend when researching that. I would highly recomend (and it sounds like you've started) reading just about every thread in the "Relocating to Alaska" forum. There is a wealth of information and experience in there on all these topics. Another item to think about with regard to selling your current stuff is to think about the replacement costs when you get to your destination. In some cases it may be cheaper to ship what you have than try to replace it. Just a few thoughts. Good luck on your journey to the North!

Scott

Rail is not an option for getting things to Alaska, as there is no rail link from here through Canada to the Lower 48. If you're talking about moving things within Alaska, rail will get you to a limited number of places. There is basically a rail line that goes from Seward through Anchorage and north to Fairbanks. There are some rural places along the way, but not really the "bush", though that depends on your definition of that term. To get things to Alaska, shipping it via barge would make sense (as would driving it yourself). As for getting things out to wherever you end up, that will be entirely dependent on where you intend to be - in some places air freight will be your only option, while others might be accessible by boat or snowmachine. We'd need more details before offering solid suggestions.

I would do a lot of research on building an earth ship in Alaska prior to taking the plunge. May work in some places, but I visited the earth ship subdivision in NM or AZ (cant remember) and toured the model one. I saw a lot of things that work alright in the desert that would be entirely inappropriate in Alaska. The climate here varies between wet and cool, to dry and frigid. I cant think of an appropriate place for a COMFORTABLE subterannean home in Alaska, but maybe Im wrong. It seems like you are in a vastly superior place to live the way you describe, much better than anyplace in AK.

I would think that the smallest footprint living in Alaska involves a small cabin built out of local trees, heated with wood, and using an outhouse with bucket plumbing inside. Grow veggies and kill meat. Its worked here for hundreds of years, so it might be hard to improve on it with tires, bottles and cans.

If you are dead set on building a wall with bottles and cans, you are in luck. It is generally cost prohibitive to ship garbage out of the state except on relative small back haul ships. SO.....you could find plenty of empty bottles and cans once you get here. Check them for butts and snuff dribble first though...

I see from your other thread, that you've been saving bottles and cans to build the walls of your earthship once you get here. I would suggest that the best way to ship your bottles and cans here would be to pack them in shipping containers and ship either by rail or truck to the docks in Tacoma. From there by barge to the docks in LosAnchorage. Form there you can hire a Sikorsky helicopter to haul your shipping containers directly to your selected building site in the bush. Pretty straightforward, really.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Would all the cost and effort to ship bottles and cans such a long distance be in line with your goal of minimal impact??? Seems to me that if you find a few houses full of young college guys you could have a steady supply of bottles and cans

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I see from your other thread, that you've been saving bottles and cans to build the walls of your earthship once you get here. I would suggest that the best way to ship your bottles and cans here would be to pack them in shipping containers and ship either by rail or truck to the docks in Tacoma. From there by barge to the docks in LosAnchorage. Form there you can hire a Sikorsky helicopter to haul your shipping containers directly to your selected building site in the bush. Pretty straightforward, really.
    While a bunch of college guys would provide me with a steady supply, I do seem to like this idea. I've just always been drawn to the Earthships, because they grow their own food, collect their own water, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    While a bunch of college guys would provide me with a steady supply, I do seem to like this idea. I've just always been drawn to the Earthships, because they grow their own food, collect their own water, etc.
    Have you investigated the implications of building in permafrost soil?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Have you investigated the implications of building in permafrost soil?
    I talked to the people at Earthship Biotechture, and they assured me, it is a viable option. They have done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    I talked to the people at Earthship Biotechture, and they assured me, it is a viable option. They have done it before.
    Where? I'd like to see it.
    #Resist

Where? I'd like to see it.
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/slides...s-shape-alaska

Kasilof AK., as well as the rest of south central AK., is too far south to have perma frost.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

According to my calculations, their turnoff was about 124 miles before Kasilof if they were heading south;-) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk