Thread: Is Crescent lake trail ready to ride?

Default Is Crescent lake trail ready to ride?

Has anyone done Crescent lake trail in Cooper Landing this year? We are camping at quartz creek this weekend and wondering how the trail is.

Jay

Default Well.....

How was it?? Lake open? Trail rideable?

Jake

I hiked into Cresent lake from the Carter lake side last week and got into heavy snow up top before Carter lake. Of course its melting fast, but you wouldnt have been able to get even to Carter lake without snowshoes. From the Quartz Creek side you would be able to get closer to the lake cause its lower, but usually you run into snow where the trail goes into the trees and shade up high and its soft so you sink. Two weeks for sure, this weekend maybe. Good luck!
    ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by AKanders View Post
    How was it?? Lake open? Trail rideable?

Jake
    This weekend isn't here yet, don't know.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I hiked into Cresent lake from the Carter lake side last week and got into heavy snow up top before Carter lake. Of course its melting fast, but you wouldnt have been able to get even to Carter lake without snowshoes. From the Quartz Creek side you would be able to get closer to the lake cause its lower, but usually you run into snow where the trail goes into the trees and shade up high and its soft so you sink. Two weeks for sure, this weekend maybe. Good luck!

Think Iíll ride up to where it gets bad and turn around, maybe ride the old road over to Turn Lake and back also; havenít done that trail for years.
    Thanks for in quick feedback, season is too short.

Jay

Isn't it closed right now to biking???

I could be wrong.

Default Crescent Lake trail

Even though the trail is sometimes passable earlier, it can cause quite a bit of damage. We wait until July 1 for the high country trails. The difference between a couple of weeks is remarkable.

Default Old road

Jay,
    I have wondered about that road over to Tern Lake. Would that be a good ride for horses early in the year?
    DrB

Bad weather over the weekend prevented me from taking the bike out, forgot my shoes anyways.
    The old road over to turn lake should to be a fine ride for horses, but have no experience with the beasts other then riding though their manure on the hillside-we all have the share.
    Hillside is my playground for riding but hope to do Resurrection, Crescent, and possible Johnsons pass this year.

wow this thread bring backs good memories. I used to live in cooper landing and rode the **** out of the stuff there. Cresecent to carter and looping around the old turn lake road is a heck of a great ride. the trail around the lake sucks though. the peddle up to carter lake is brutal but a good way to stay in shape. if you are familiar with cooper landing there was another way into crescent from the mine claims. there is actually a road that goes along the right hand side of the valley and comes into the valley right before the lake. I was friends with the miners and we used this road alot in the winter to access crescent lake. this was also the early 90's.

johnson pass is a great ride, same with resurection and russian lakes trail.
    crown point mine road is killer if you want a grueling uphill. primrose or lost lake was another good ride. good memories. lol