Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Newbie

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    temporarily misplaced
    Posts
    40

    Exclamation Newbie

    Hi, I figured it was about time I introduced myself, so here goes. I was born in Texas, lived here all my life, however I've wanted to live in remote Alaska for as long as I can remember. I first visited in 2005 and was even more hooked after that. I shut down for a long time, but I'm proud to say that I'm finally starting to get things rolling toward that goal. I know all about cisterns, solar panels, wind turbines, etc. and I want to live off the grid with as little impact as possible. I've been searching online for information on this, so anything ya'll can tell me would be a great help. FYI: I'm hoping to build an Earthship when I do get up there, if possible.

  2. #2
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,117

    Default

    Check out some of the previous threads on this topic.....you have plenty of reading to do already if you do a little search on here.
    BK

  3. #3
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    Hi, I figured it was about time I introduced myself, so here goes. I was born in Texas, lived here all my life, however I've wanted to live in remote Alaska for as long as I can remember. I first visited in 2005 and was even more hooked after that. I shut down for a long time, but I'm proud to say that I'm finally starting to get things rolling toward that goal. I know all about cisterns, solar panels, wind turbines, etc. and I want to live off the grid with as little impact as possible. I've been searching online for information on this, so anything ya'll can tell me would be a great help. FYI: I'm hoping to build an Earthship when I do get up there, if possible.
    Great idea; I heard about a guy here in homer who was using tires for his foundation.....with a little careful prep and tons of elbow grease, it could work. When I lived off grid, I was planning to use tires to build some retaining walls for a terraced garden....there were more tires at the dump than people in the village! Never did get around to that project. "Alternative building" has not really caught on here in AK, I imagine mostly due to the amount of time it takes, and the relatively short building season.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    temporarily misplaced
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Great idea; I heard about a guy here in homer who was using tires for his foundation.....with a little careful prep and tons of elbow grease, it could work. When I lived off grid, I was planning to use tires to build some retaining walls for a terraced garden....there were more tires at the dump than people in the village! Never did get around to that project. "Alternative building" has not really caught on here in AK, I imagine mostly due to the amount of time it takes, and the relatively short building season.

    It may also have something to do with the remote locations of a lot of the towns. I just know that I'm definitely hooked. I've been saving up cans and bottles for a couple of years now, to build the interior walls

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    It may also have something to do with the remote locations of a lot of the towns. I just know that I'm definitely hooked. I've been saving up cans and bottles for a couple of years now, to build the interior walls

    The last two years you have been saving can's and bottles to build walls three thousand miles away in Alaska? You think this is a good idea? If so please tell me why?

  6. #6
    Member Music Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Here is a quote from his post in 'Relocating to Alaska' forum.
    " Anyway, I've been doing research, and I figure the best way to get all my stuff up there would either be by rail, or ship."
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Thank Music Man:
    I know there was a good reason, I just did not see it. We need more people like hippyman who think out of the box.

  8. #8
    Member Music Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    I think we should push the 'rail' vs the 'ship'.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    temporarily misplaced
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    The last two years you have been saving can's and bottles to build walls three thousand miles away in Alaska? You think this is a good idea? If so please tell me why?
    O.k., I may be a tad eccentric, but still....I've always wanted an Earthship, and by saving my own supplies to build with, I save on construction costs. I figure why not, if I have the space to store them.

  10. #10

    Default

    Off grid living is great. Get ready to BURN OIL!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    temporarily misplaced
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    Off grid living is great. Get ready to BURN OIL!

    Believe me, I am ready. I've been ready for years. All I have to do now is decide which region I want to settle in

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    temporarily misplaced
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Just off the top of my head, which region is least accessible via road?

  13. #13
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    O.k., I may be a tad eccentric, but still....I've always wanted an Earthship, and by saving my own supplies to build with, I save on construction costs. I figure why not, if I have the space to store them.
    The cost of shipping thousands of cans and bottles from Texas to Alaska will surely offset any savings in construction cost.

    Northern Alaska is least accessible by road. Nearly all of the villages up there are only accessible by small plane. That's going to be a lot of Avgas, plane trips, and money to transport all of your bottles and cans to a remote location; kind of defeating the purpose of the carbon footprint reducing lifestyle your trying to pursue.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    temporarily misplaced
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    The cost of shipping thousands of cans and bottles from Texas to Alaska will surely offset any savings in construction cost.

    Northern Alaska is least accessible by road. Nearly all of the villages up there are only accessible by small plane. That's going to be a lot of Avgas, plane trips, and money to transport all of your bottles and cans to a remote location; kind of defeating the purpose of the carbon footprint reducing lifestyle your trying to pursue.
    It's a good thing I'm planning ahead then. This is kind of a double edged sword, I want to reduce my carbon footprint, but at the same time live where the tourists and most other people don't visit. Any tips?

  15. #15
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    It's a good thing I'm planning ahead then. This is kind of a double edged sword, I want to reduce my carbon footprint, but at the same time live where the tourists and most other people don't visit. Any tips?
    There are places all over the state where you could live how you describe. Even down here in Southeast Alaska, you could buy a small island, or a lot on an island, set up a cabin and never have to see anyone, except for a few passing boats here and there. Otherwise you could buy land outside of Fairbanks, or somewhere on the Kenai peninsula and do the same. I'm sure other people who live up north will have some better feedback for you.

  16. #16
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    Just off the top of my head, which region is least accessible via road?
    This question tells us that you have never even looked at a map of AK. The majority of AK is not accessible by road.

  17. #17

    Default

    Siberia, Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    Just off the top of my head, which region is least accessible via road?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    temporarily misplaced
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I was wondering when the trolls would show up. When and if you have something useful to say, let me know then.

  19. #19

    Default

    I will never have anything useful to tell the clueless people who want to live in the most remote part of Alaska, with NO forking idea what in the hell they are doing.

    Here is a question: How much Cash do you think you would need to buy a small piece a very remote land and live on it for two years......Total cost....???

    Quote Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
    I was wondering when the trolls would show up. When and if you have something useful to say, let me know then.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    This question tells us that you have never even looked at a map of AK. The majority of AK is not accessible by road.
    Ray is so correct! I don't think people realize how big the state is, how few roads, or how different the terrain and weather can be from one area to another. 'I want to move to AK'....what does that mean? Do you want tundra? Rainforest? Flat land? Mountains? Coastline? What kind of weather are you prepared for? etc...

    Hippyman- if you truly want to move to AK, seriously sit down and look at what you want and see if dreams fit in to it. A quick look at any map will show that most of AK is not accessible without plane or boat. You can be off the grid easily while still close to a town. Compare the weather extremes (on a winter day there can be 80 degree differences in the state).

    There are some amazing people in this state that are living off the grid because they choose to do so. Many of them are on these forums so it is a good place to get information, but you need to put in some studies to at least seem like you have done more than watch a show about the state and have a hankering to move here. I don't mean to seem snide but the lure of living here is embellished by reality TV and it is not like that at all. People seem to think they can move here and find a plot of land for cheap and all of a sudden they can build a cabin and live off the land and find gold at the doorstep. Even the best outdoorsmen/hunters here generally have to supplement food with store-bought. It is very expensive to live here and the summer months are very short. I am not trying to dissuade you from your dreams- only asking you to visit and see it at its coldest first.

    It is the most beautiful of places (IMHO) but if I spent the rest of my life trying to see it all I never would- it is simply too big and vast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •