Thread: Bear Baiting PWS

Default Bear Baiting PWS

I have some time to devote to bear baiting this May and would like to stake out a couple of spot in PWS. I have done spot and stock in late spring and in the fall and am passably familiar with the sound. I have a 28ft boat with a couple of dinghies available to me to scoot around with. I would like to have a few of my buddies out with me at different times.

My question is what are some of the considerations when looking for a good bait station out there? How is the guide pressure, vs private parties? Are there any unwritten type rules I should know? I am not asking for directions to your secret hunting spot, just some thoughts on PWS etiquette for bear baiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I have some time to devote to bear baiting this May and would like to stake out a couple of spot in PWS. I have done spot and stock in late spring and in the fall and am passably familiar with the sound. I have a 28ft boat with a couple of dinghies available to me to scoot around with. I would like to have a few of my buddies out with me at different times.

My question is what are some of the considerations when looking for a good bait station out there? How is the guide pressure, vs private parties? Are there any unwritten type rules I should know? I am not asking for directions to your secret hunting spot, just some thoughts on PWS etiquette for bear baiting.
    Ive been on quite a few bear excursions out in the sound. we never "baited" on any of them. find a cove, drop anchor, wait for low tide, and then head to the beach. we have always managed to find bears roaming the beaches at low tide near creeks/ falls. good luck!

I would recommend staying away from the bays that have the green grass growing in them or else you will have boats pulling in non stop glassing the beaches. I have a few friends that bait the south facing hills that don't have much for beaches and they seem to do well. As far as the guides go, I don't know how many are out there but I have heard the Northern bays in between Whittier and Valdez have a few in them and Culross has some also.

East side of pws has a lot of guides running it as well
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

How far off the shoreline would you suggest putting up a bait station?

It's probably not a matter of how far from shore (other than out of tide water) but rather the type of cover. From what I've seen bears like more close in cover when going to a bait. I think it makes them feel more hidden. Bears going into bait that is really out in the open will be far more cautious to approach it. Put it in some fairly dense cover that you can see at least a couple good shooting lanes from a short (quiet) distance away.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!