Thread: Tackle recommendations/opinions

Default Tackle recommendations/opinions

I'm about to pick up 3 reels for trolling and 2 reels for bottom fishing and what to hear what you guys think on the appropriateness of each. I'll be fishing in the saltwater bays and whatnot in SE AK near Ketchikan.

For trolling for salmon and whatnot, I'm looking at the Penn Fathom 25 Level Wind with 25lb mono. It's got the level wind which it seems is a common thing up there in AK. I'm used to larger, lever drag, non-levelwind reels with 40-50 lb mono for trolling here in S Florida so the level wind and smaller size are new to me. A recommendation that was made to me was the Abu Ambassador 7000 big game and this reel is a similar weight with higher drag capabilities, sturdier and twice the line capacity. Any thoughts on this reel?

For bottom fishing, I'm a big fan of the Avets so I'm looking to add a pair of Avet HX4.2 with 80 lb braid to my collection. I want to be able to use these for fishing with the Scouts in the Keys for Grouper and Amberjacks as well so they're the single speed model with a high drag capability and mid range gear ratio for ease of use with clients/inexperienced fishermen. They'll be mounted on short stiff jigging rods. These will be my grouper/halibut rods depending where I'm at in the US. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I like the shimano charter specials, replace the canvas drag with a carbontex and they are a great little level wind lever drag reel. I run 1000's as I use braid, but I'd go with a 2000 for mono.

For bottom fishing I'm also a fan of Avet's and find the JX for me is close to the ideal jigging reel. It'll hold over 300yds of braid and still need some backing and even though I'd like a tad more drag, I don't like using a reel heavier than the JX on a jigging rod. I do have a JX raptor which is essentially the same weight as the HX and even more drag, but the extra weight is noticeable when jigging all day. As far as line, I'm a big fan of Daiwa Saltiga PE-5 braid.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

For salmon trolling I like the shimano Tekota 600 series. And it may sound kind of funny but I'm using the Fathom 25N LW for halibut jigging. Plenty of drag, 30#, for butts and will hold 300yds of 80# braid. No problem last year on butts up to 130.

I have some 7000 Ambassadors that are 30 years old and still working great WD40 and a rag keeps them good for many years.

Avets... Sx for trolling and for halibut sx 6.4, 2 speed. Works so good even the little guys can use them.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I picked up a lh and rh retrieve JX avet upon PaulH's recommendation and plus one for those. Excellent reels, light, tough, and can handle anything you are going to jig up. I caught up to 80 lb fish last summer and never felt I wanted more. I used a ugly stik tiger jigging rod and a shimano trevala in xh. I have a few bigger reels for bait rods but couldn't even tell you what they are because I use them so little.....

I ended up going with the Fathom 25 Levelwinds and am impressed with the quality feel while just playing around with it. I also went with Penn 113HN Baja Specials and Penn Bluewater Carnage 80-130 jigging rods with 80lb Daiwa Boat Braid for the deep/heavy stuff. It came down to the Avet HX or the Baja and I was able to get a killer deal on the Bajas. They may be heavyish and ugly in comparison to the new, small, pretty lever drags reels, but they're rock solid, easy to service and I won't get upset if a client scratches them up. Plus, te lightweight rods make up for the heavier reels, making for a nice comfortable combo to fish all day with.

Penn makes a good solid reel. That said, I've used a variety of reels on jigging rods over the years, Penn 112H, 113H, Shimano tld 15, tld 20, tld 20 II, Avet sx, jx and jx raptor. In my experience,when jigging all day with jigs 8-24 oz the closer you can get to 20 oz in a reel, the more enjoyable the experience for all day fishing. The closer you get to 30 oz, the less enjoyable and reels over 30 oz are simply too heavy.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Great tips here, I've been happy with a few ambassadeur 6500's for trolling & mooching salmon but I've been looking for something with a line counter for mooching targets on the sounder when things might be a bit deeper. Any suggestions for a reel with a line counter?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Shimano Tekota 600LC. I have one and love it. This reel is used by a lot of charters in Sitka and other SE ports. If you want to go a little lighter, as long as you don't need the capacity, you can do the 500LC.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    Shimano Tekota 600LC. I have one and love it. This reel is used by a lot of charters in Sitka and other SE ports. If you want to go a little lighter, as long as you don't need the capacity, you can do the 500LC.
    +1

We use these for jigging mackerel to use as live bait for striped marlin. Once in a while a marlin will grab a mackerel that is hooked on the bait rig. The Tekota has been tough enough to land the marlin too.

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Great tips here, I've been happy with a few ambassadeur 6500's for trolling & mooching salmon but I've been looking for something with a line counter for mooching targets on the sounder when things might be a bit deeper. Any suggestions for a reel with a line counter?
    You don't have to limit yourself to line counters if you don't want to. Just use a color coded braid such as Daiwa Saltiga boat braid. Colors change every 5 meters with markers every meter. If fish are showing at 60', drop two colors, 45', 1 color and 5 meter markers, etc., After a couple of seasons I haven't had any issues with color fade and it is IMHO an outstanding line. I have had issues with color loss on power pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You don't have to limit yourself to line counters if you don't want to. Just use a color coded braid such as Daiwa Saltiga boat braid. Colors change every 5 meters with markers every meter. If fish are showing at 60', drop two colors, 45', 1 color and 5 meter markers, etc., After a couple of seasons I haven't had any issues with color fade and it is IMHO an outstanding line. I have had issues with color loss on power pro.
    Good suggestion, but then I'd have to count! And I haven't very impressed with the quality of most of the line counter reels I've seen so far.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Looks like I mis-typed, the colors change at 10 meter intervals, and every meter there is a black mark on the line with a yellow band on either side.

If I can manage it, anyone can

I thought they made add on line counters?
    If you can find an aftermarket line counter you like you could just add it to one of your existing reels you know you like.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

The Daiwa Boat Braid is the best metered braid I've found. I've got it on 4 of my reels.

I order it off eBay daiwa boat braid
    http://bit.ly/1eVhkPa
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..