Thread: Ds 131

Default Ds 131

Did anyone else draw this tag or had it in the past?

I drew that tag last year. It's a MUCH harder hunt than you would think it is. I know one guy pulled a ram from the Pioneer Peak / Goat creek drainage, but he used ropes and belay to get where he was going. I hunted the other portion - Peter's Creek. Unless you know someone in Eagle River who will let you cross their land, you'll be forced to walk in 23 miles like I did. There's rams in there, but they tend to stay up on a shelf where you cannot get to them if you take the shot. I passed on a big boy opening day of my tag, but never saw another one after that. I knew if I took the shot, I would not be able to get the animal if it did not fall the 100+ feet down to where I was. I saw a guide, two packers and client in there, as well as two other hunters with the tag... it's not a lot of country for the 5 tags given. Let me know if you want more info. I spent most of the summer scouting, flying, and planning. It's a good hunt to draw, but it's not one I would do again without knowing someone who would let me cross their land. That walk in is one of the most brutal I've ever done, and I've raced Crow Pass with the best of them.

One of my favorite tags in the park. I've taken a few hunters in there. Did the hike also took horses another time. Great hunting to be done in there.