Thread: Dagnammit! Stuck case!

Default Dagnammit! Stuck case!

Did the unthinkable today. Stuck a case in a redding 3006 full length die. Ripped the belt right off. Up to that point everything was smooth n easy. Brand new case. Tried several diff ways to get it out. Took the die apart. No luck. Any suggestions?

Release Lake Trout

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Get an RCBS Case Remover. Redding may make one also.

Thereafter, make sure you've got sufficient lube on the base of the case. That should take care of it.

If you stick one that IS lubed, I dunno what the problem could be other than a problem with your sizing die. I had a bad Hornady die once. It stuck the 1st and 2nd case, whereupon, I sent it back to Hornady for repair. It was too tight, I reckon.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Get an RCBS Case Remover. Redding may make one also.

Thereafter, make sure you've got sufficient lube on the base of the case. That should take care of it.

If you stick one that IS lubed, I dunno what the problem could be other than a problem with your sizing die. I had a bad Hornady die once. It stuck the 1st and 2nd case, whereupon, I sent it back to Hornady for repair. It was too tight, I reckon.

Smitty of the North
    it had plenty lube. It was all good smooth runnin fast then bam! ***! Well it's a lost cause. I jus cannot get it out. I got a spare rcbs die. So not all is lost

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    it had plenty lube. It was all good smooth runnin fast then bam! ***! Well it's a lost cause. I jus cannot get it out. I got a spare rcbs die. So not all is lost
    Not sure if you meant "fast" literally or not, but I don't like to size "fast". Even with good lube, strange wedging effects can occur when you thrust two metal tubes together really quickly with dynamic force. Just like some materials will bend easily if you apply smooth even pressure; but if you attempt to bend the same material with a very quick, sharp motion it will snap, rather than bend... Kind of the same physics at work here; if you shove a brass case inside a steel tube with a sharp, quick motion it can wedge tightly, but if you go with a smooth slower motion the softer brass has time to yield. Probably some fancy scientific name for it that I don't know.... Anyway, here's your extraction kit: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=163056
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Unless, stuck cases are and everytime, thing, you can get it out with a case remover, and they're a good thing to have around, anyway. Odds are you'll need it again. SW probably has them, and Midway if you hafta order. You can have it in only a few days. (Some people make their own.)

Cheer UP, It's not a Lost Cause. That case WILL come out. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504...k-case-remover

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136...k-case-remover

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks fellas. Ill get one and see what I can do. Appreciate your insight. Would ask my old man "the wizard" but he's up in the hills chasin pesky idaho wolves.

Release Lake Trout

You didn't say but did this happen to be a new set of dies that you didn't clean out before you started? And you didn't say what lube you were using. And, yeah, rapidly ramming a case in a die isn't a very good idea either.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

I'm not going to try and speculate how this happened, and it's not my intention to take this post in another direction. However, from personal experience I can tell you how you can stick a case in a die that can make it very difficult to remove regardless of lubrication.

Call it sloppy if you wish, but on a couple of occassions I did not have the case head properly in the shell holder. Instead, it was sitting on top of the shell holder. If you close the ram in this configuration, you'll force that case in the die and it will be more than difficult to remove regardless of whether or not it was properly lubricated. Once again, it just demonstrates that you have to be paying attention, apparently in these instances I wasn't. Luckily, I was able to grab the base of the case with the shell holder and lower the ram to pull out the case. However, I may not be so lucky next time.

I bought me a stuck case remover a while back and it works well. You can buy a couple of things at a hardware store that will work just as well. You need a # 7 drill bit and a 1/4 X 20 tap, and a 1/4 X 20 bolt, and a few washers large enough to fit over your case head. Then you will need a couple of heavy 1/4 inch washers. Just drill out the primer pocket, then thread the hole. Stack your washers over the case head with the 1/4 inch washers last. Put the bolt through the washers and screw it into the shell head. Tighten the bolt until the case pops out.

If the stuck case remover fails (which I've seen when things go really bad), pull the stem and try Cerrosafe like you would a half case in a rifle chamber.

Have you ever had case head separation in the sizer die? That's when is really fun. That too can be removed with a little out of box thinking.

Back out the decapping rod in the die as far as possible. Place die in lathe or drill press. Drill out primer pocket with #3 drill. Tap hole to 1/4x28. Place 9/16 or 5/8" socket over case and die, open end over the case. Place a stack of 3 or 4 1/4" fender washers over back of socket and thread a 3" long 1/4x28 socket head screw through the washers, die, and into the back of the case. Vise up the die so it won't rotate when you turn the allen wrench. You may need a LONG allen wrench to get enough leverage to extract the case. Turn the screw in and the case should come out. The 1/4x28 gives a better grab on the threads than 1/4x20, and easier extraction.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Gunbugs I bought the Hornady stuck case kit and it come with a 1/4X20 tap and a #7 bit. I can see where the fine thread (1/4X28) might work better but does it take a different bit to thread fine and coarse threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Gunbugs I bought the Hornady stuck case kit and it come with a 1/4X20 tap and a #7 bit. I can see where the fine thread (1/4X28) might work better but does it take a different bit to thread fine and coarse threads?
    Yes 1/4-20 takes a #3 (7/32") drill and 1/4-28 is a #7 (13/64") drill, it's well worth having taps for both these 1/4" threads.

In soft brass you can get away with the smaller #3 drill for a 1/4-28 tap if you are carful. The tap will kind of ream/sewage the hole as well as cut threads, clear chips often.

Also rather than turning the cap screw like Gunbugs to pull the case I put a nut on the cap screw and turn that . . . The threads in the steel nut take being turned under pressure better than the threads in the brass case.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

if you can, use a course thread bolt, hand turn into the case to the point where it bites into the case. then pull it out. this worked for me.

I used a 1/4" self drilling srew and a crow bar to get three stuck 300 RUM cases out. Yeah, I was a little slow learning my lesson. Stopped using One Shot and got some Imperial (I now use Unique) and never had another stuck case. Anyway, screwed the die in the press upside down and just drilled/screwed the screw into the primer pocket. Then used quite a bit of leverage, (standing on a chair) and pulled them out. Almost fell off the chair when they gave way.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I used a 1/4" self drilling srew and a crow bar to get three stuck 300 RUM cases out. Yeah, I was a little slow learning my lesson. Stopped using One Shot and got some Imperial (I now use Unique) and never had another stuck case. Anyway, screwed the die in the press upside down and just drilled/screwed the screw into the primer pocket. Then used quite a bit of leverage, (standing on a chair) and pulled them out. Almost fell off the chair when they gave way.
    Kew'well. Next time use a ladder, though.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Did the unthinkable today. Stuck a case in a redding 3006 full length die. Ripped the belt right off. Up to that point everything was smooth n easy. Brand new case. Tried several diff ways to get it out. Took the die apart. No luck. Any suggestions?
    That's interesting....... I always thought it was dagNABBIT..........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

if case head separated... get a broken bolt extractor - a small set of three will cover all your "calibers"

but-- BUT before you start- put the die in the freezer overnight (or outside if you live in North Pole) and that usually helps

might try some penitrating oil if it doesn't move "easy"

if you go slow, you will not have damaged anything but your pride

it happens to all of us.

Heck, I CHARGE to remove cases from dies at the shop

Chris