Thread: Old Gas

Default Old Gas

I have about 10 gallons of old gas (from July 2013) in my raft gas tank and am wondering if it is still usable in a vehicle or if it would be best to just get rid of it. If so, how do you get rid of it legally? Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use it in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I would use it in my car.
    Agreed. I pour old gas into my truck. If it's totally gross and dirty fuel however, I either have a huge bonfire, or the less fun option is to pour it into the waste oil/gas/solvent tanks at the local harbors.

July 203 is not very old gas. If it was mine I would add fresh fuel and use it up .

Thanks for the input. I think I will put it in my truck and use it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run it through a Mr. Funnel filter and use it. If you are really worried about, mix it 50/50 with fresh gas. I have about the same amount of gas in my boat tanks left over from this summer. Forgot about it until I saw this post. Thanks for the reminder. Will get the truck tank topped off with it.

Add a can of Seafoam. My spring tuneup is to add about 8 cans to my fuel, cleans out the gunk than I change the oil.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I don't consider one year, to be too terribly bad. One thing to consider with bad gas though, is the compression ratio of your engine. If you have a high compression engine, 9.5:1 or greater, I'd be careful.

If it's something in the low 8's:1.......those darn things will burn anything.

Use it in your car, snowblower, lawnmower etc. If using in your car you might want to add it 50/50 or 25/75 with fresh gas so the loss of octane of the old gas isn't as big of an issue.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I don't consider it old after a year either but I never mess around with boat gas.....put it in your car.....run it through a super funnel first if you have any question about it's gunk or water content.

Oh man, that stuff is hazardous material. Probably dangerous too. I know a guy who can get rid of it for you. Drain it into two Jerry cans and I'll take it off your hands. No mess. No hassle.

You guys worry too much.