Thread: Lets get a North Pole Range???

Default Lets get a North Pole Range???

What would it take to get a North Pole gun range? Who if anyone could we lean on? I am sick of going to South Cushman and to lazy to drive up to the one on China. I don't know if having a range in/around the pole will solve any problems (people doing dumb things) but it couldn't hurt. What do you guys think?

Jake

You've got one... it's at the confluence of Moose Creek and the Tanana....
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Would be nice for the people on Eielson since the darn base won't even let you use the range. Maybe once a year they let people sight guns on it for like 2 days. I can't believe they call us the armed forces but can't even let us practice!!!

Fort Hood was cool about that,you could use the range while they where qualifying at the same time,didnt cost anything.And I was about to head out to the Moose Creek range here in a bit myself Daniel

How long is the moose creek rang?

The Eielson range is open almost every saturday. Just join the 21 mile rifle and pistol club $20 a year nice and warm in the winter too. And there is not a ''range" at the end of moose creek people just love to park down there and shoot over the top of river boaters and burn pallets in the middle of the road.

Default I would use it.

I would love a north pole range.Ive got conflicting stories about the eielson range. First i was told even if you are member you cant shot alone. Then it was you can shoot only on weekends not during the week. I even called the number for the range club but got little info. Anyone out there have a clue. I would join if i could get some straight info. Hillbilly

Default moose creek bluff

I used to keep this to myself, but I guess I can share it now. For the last few years, I have been shooting at Moose Cr. Bluff just off of the highway. If you go down the dirt road from the pull-off next to the highway, there is a spot just a couple hundred yards down where you can shoot straight into the side of the bluff. No worries about stray bullets, easy access....seemed perfect and I never had any problems shooting there.
    About a week and a half ago, I was out there setting up to shoot when a NP cop pulled up. Apparently, the NP police department hired a cop specifically to patrol the flood control project and keep 4 wheelers out of there. I'm not sure where the funding for this comes from since the whole area is out of NP city limits. Anyway, he was nice about the whole thing, but told me I can't shoot there any more.
    The whole flood control project is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. I would think that it should be possible to put some pressure on them to allow a small shooting range at the bluff. Its a perfect spot. We don't need anything on the scale of the Cushman range. Something along the lines of the CHSR range would be fine with me.

I'm sorry to hear that happened as I was eyeing that area myself as a nice spot for shooting. It would be great if we could talk the authorities into letting us set up a range there. Do you think the Corps of Engineers would be the folks to talk to?

I did a little shooting along the Tanana. It is hard to find a good backstop there. I'm not comfortable with just shooting off over the river and into the boonies under the assumption there won't be anyone there. I'm a little uncomfortable also with all the physical evidence around there of irresponsible behavior....broken glass everywhere, shot up abandoned vehicles, dead rabbits shot and left, etc. etc. etc. I don't like the thought of being there with the family if one of those yayhoos should show up.

It's that sort of thing that really works against us shooters. It's hard enough to keep the shooting areas we have, let alone asking for new ones when every shooting spot gets extremely trashed. What can we do?......Louis

The Eielson range is supposed to be open all the time during duty hours, according to an email that went out on base not too long ago (3 months or so). As long as they are not holding classes, you can shoot as long as there are 2 of you (one as shooter, the other as "RSO"). You just have to call the CATM range guys and ask them directly. If this has changed they should have published it.

I would think that the Mayor of North Pole would be a good first contact, as the police work for him. He might be able to answer a question about a firing range AND be able to answer the jurisdictional question of the North Pole cpolice enforcing Chena Flood Channel. They need to be out patrolling and stopping speeders before one of these yahoos runs over a child...like my 4 year old!

If the conversation with the Mayor goes ill...then the Corps of Engineers would be the next stop. I would be willing to bet they will NEVER allow anything resembling a firing range on their land due to liability issues...but it's worth a chance to ask.

The 21 Mile Gun Club is a very good "VERY small" organization with some quality people running it. I was a member and got to shoot on the base a lot on weekends. The problem they have is that you have to be a certified ranger officer to open the range on the weekends. As a small organization...they would have to have the same people out there ALL the time on the weekends (which would suck). I also remember there only being 1 or 2 people showing up all day to shoot when it was open (I was 1). That would be very frustrating to give up a day on the weekend and then have nobody show up.
    Last edited by KirovPDR; 06-03-2007 at 20:31. Reason: typos