Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DLP or not?

Default DLP or not?

I had this posted to my Facebook and thought I'd see what you all think.
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=008_1393078390
    There's some things I'd have done differently, but I know what I'm riding and am capable of boondocking.

It looked agitated, then he pushed forward a bit. Thats a mistake IMO.
    Once you get thumped, then it's coming back for more....time to eliminate the problem.

Tough call who made the first wrong move.
    BK

Geez, he could have at least coup de graced it.

I would have left the trail if possible prior to the initial attack. Once the moose made initial contact and started turning to come back for more I would have engaged and eliminated the threat. Plenty of moose will be convinced to get off the trail if pressed in the same way he did but it's hard to tell what reaction you will get.

It could have been handled differently but I am sure that hundreds of encounters go just like this annually with the exception that the moose just runs off. I'll take a dead aggressive moose over the potential of a stomped kid when the next riders come along.

Pretty tough to convince them off a good trail into deep snow. Believe the moose made it's intention pretty clear.

Pretty darn impressed by the knockdown with the handgun….good shooting on his part.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Pretty tough to convince them off a good trail into deep snow. Believe the moose made it's intention pretty clear.

Pretty darn impressed by the knockdown with the handgun….good shooting on his part.
    I think I would have handled it a bit differently initially, but on the second approach I would have been shooting too, and I agree, great shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what the video shows, his actions early on forced him to shoot the moose later on. Hard to say how long he was waiting or what the moose had done prior to this though. I think this could have been handled differently and prevented an unnecessary shooting. Also kinda looks like he left the moose while it was still alive, but that was probably the adrenaline.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    From what the video shows, his actions early on forced him to shoot the moose later on. Hard to say how long he was waiting or what the moose had done prior to this though. I think this could have been handled differently and prevented an unnecessary shooting. Also kinda looks like he left the moose while it was still alive, but that was probably the adrenaline.
    I don't think he left the moose. My guess is he got himself out in the open so he could regroup/reload before going back to make sure the moose was done....seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Good shoot could have been handled a little better. I have had more bad encounters with moose than bears that is for sure.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

It's hard to guess what another person is thinking but it would seem reasonable that he hoped to pressure the moose down the trail to where it opened up and he could get around. Apparently the moose didn't agree

Personally I don't think he should have pressed the moose as soon as he did. Too impatient imo......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

While the DLP probably could have been avoided with a little patience and common sense, I'd guess that the shooting would most likely be determined to be justified. However, the story, as a friend of mine related to me (according to him, I haven't seen anything "official") was that the dude didn't report the DLP nor salvage the animal. IF that is true, then whether or not the DLP was justified is likely the least of that guy's worries. Especially since this video appears to be spreading quickly across the 'net. Anyone have a link to a news release or article about this?

Where is this located at?

I was told Wyoming, but like I said in my post above, I haven't seen anything official providing any details etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally I don't think he should have pressed the moose as soon as he did. Too impatient imo......
    That was my take too, seems to me based on that, you wouldn't get away with calling DLP in this state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked like the moose was leaving when he started shooting.. I would say the rider was wrong..

moved forward before moose got out of his way, then shot after the moose was leaving.

my .02 worth

Chris

Not DLP, unless the 'D' is for 'dumb'.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thought he could have given the animal a little more time/room. That said, my man went to work with that Glock!! Nice shooting.

Not DLP, he provoked it. Did everything wrong. Hope he pays through the nose and loses his hunting rights.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast