Thread: Delta Clearwater ?

Default Delta Clearwater ?

Are there access points where it can be wade fished for grayling? I have read that floating is best. Just curious about how effective wade fly fishing can be. Thanks.

You can go to the campgrounds and there are a few places to fish. I have caught some nice grayling wading in that area.

Yes you can definitely wade fish the river and find success. From the campground you can wade up a few bends and find some nice grayling, be aware of the private property though, signs are posted. You best chances of finding fish is a with a boat, we typically go a few miles upstream to fish but we have watched people catch some nice fish right in front of the lodge. I didn't go last year, but definitely want to make it back. Awesome place with great fish!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

BigCox I think we had TOO much fun last time we went. The lodge had no business getting me that drunk. Great times!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    BigCox I think we had TOO much fun last time we went. The lodge had no business getting me that drunk. Great times!
    HAHA! I still have a video of DMoney singing Pearl Necklace from that night! HA! Good Times for sure!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I got some questions about the clearwater I see that the grayling fishing is great, what time of the year is good to fish for them. And can you use a drift boat on the river. Also is there a lot of people on the river or can you find a part of the river and fish it all to yourself. Trying to find some different rivers to fish with my boat.

Was wondering the same thing. How about motoring upstream with a drift boat?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

The best time of year to fish DCW is in July when it is warmest. I have been in June and found some great fish too but nothing beats July. There are plenty of spots to fish by yourself but it is pretty popular either way and you can expect to see several boats pass both upstream and downstream of you. No biggie. As far as drifting it I am not too sure. There are MANY places where it is so shallow that your boat needs to be up on step to pass through. Plenty of deep bends too but lots of very shallow spots. Lots of people put in rafts at the boat launch at the state park and float it downstream to the Tanana to the takeout point. Great place!

Sapper in the Skies

I have soar boats to, so maybe I will give it a shot this summer and leave the drift boat at home.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it.

My father-inlaw just booked his tickets for June 21-28 and I don't have high hopes for the Gulkana River Kings this year. So I was thinking about taking him up to the Clearwater, do you think its worth taking my Drift boat or my Soar Raft up there for some Grayling fishing.

normally we go in July but I have been in June before and it is still fantastic! I have floated the Gulkana the last couple of years in mid to late June and it has been not that great to say the least. DCW is a great back up plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    normally we go in July but I have been in June before and it is still fantastic! I have floated the Gulkana the last couple of years in mid to late June and it has been not that great to say the least. DCW is a great back up plan.
    What made it not so great? I plan to go in July but just wondering what was wrong with June? I haven't ever been so don't know anything about it there.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    What made it not so great? I plan to go in July but just wondering what was wrong with June? I haven't ever been so don't know anything about it there.
    Grayling migrate into the DC, they do not over winter there. July-August is the peak time for their return.

There are a good catchable numbers in June. July is even better.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

June on the Gulkana can be great for sockeye but I was always floating for kings. The run has taken a hit there just like everywhere else it seems. June on DCW is very good but July is best. Either one of these systems are great for at least some type of fishing. Good luck!!!