Thread: Cabin build questions

Alaska resident. But working where ever the work is. Vegas til spring

Default Cabin build questions

I plan on building a cabin this spring I have several questions. I have been in construction all my life, but in the lower 48. Im here permanently now and need a place. Its going to be 30x40. Should I go with a 4" or 6" slab, how many inches of rigid foam under the concrete, 7/8" or 1 1/8" subfloor, use a house wrap (tyvek) or no wrap just on the inside, sprat foam just on joints and standard fiberglass insullation, what exterior siding to be used, lowest maintenance. A blaze king for heating. All I hear is they are the best. Metal roof needless to say. Around the Willow area.thanks in advance

You mention a slab and also a subfloor???Is this going to be a single floor or two floors?If the spray foam is in the budget that would be much better way to go. You will want to design it so that your doors are located on the gable ends to avoid the roof dump.If you have a little more info on your ideas it will be easier for people to give info. Good Luck

Sub flooring to attach wood flooring to.

Are you going to have a concrete slab for the main floor or where does the slab part fit into the picture? There are a couple of things that will enter into the picture of the subfloor. What will be the spacing of floor joist and what is going over the top of subfloor.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

in Matsu.. always use Tyvek.. serves two purposes.. one lets the neighbors know your ready to move in, and will never finish it on the out side... and you care enough to give them reading material..

second.. its a true wind barrier.. and i Mat su it blows.. so yes.. it is NOT a vapor barrier.. and wont work as such.. minimum 2 inches foam under slab if putting in slab heat.. depends on ground.. and perma frost levels.. consult local engineer /building inspector for local issues..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Its going to be a single story. 600-800 sq ft. I want to build it as energy efficient as possible. I am planning this to be where I live into my retirement, which is 13 years away. So that is also why I like the blaze king wood burner. Of coarse it will be built with 2x6 exterior walls. Looking at the good pella windows, vinyl so no painting is needed. Thanks for the ideas and I formation

Chevy:
    I am just following the thread since I will be building soon as well.
    I am curious though- your OP stated 30x40 but your last post was 600-800 sq feet. Just wondering what your plans were.
    We have not decided between logs (which I really want) or just doing frame with cedar siding as it would be faster and easier if we do it ourselves.
    Take care

I was originally planning a 30x40 slab and 20x30 living quarters and the other 20x30 the garage/shop. Im building with 2x6 for energy efficiencies purposes. Everyone loves a log home, but I understand most are not to energy efficient. They are nice looking tho.

Chevy:
    That explains that!
    My land is far off the road so getting large trucks back with equipment isn't going to happen- so I will be using piers.
    Willow is a nice area. My land is east of Caswell- started off looking at 40 acres and ended up buying 240! Slice of heaven and exactly what we were looking for.
    I am looking forward to hearing more suggestions made by the forum members- there are some super knowledgeable folks on here!!!