Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 454 /45 colt ruger toklat

Default 454 /45 colt ruger toklat

I bought this gun and it was a challenge between where it would hit high up to 18 inches and a load I felt I would shoot enough to become proficent. Today finally got it to hit dead on with bullets touching at 25 yards. The load was 21.8 grains of h110 and a 300 grain hard cast gas check cast performance bullet. Speed should be between 1120-1180. I think its a comprimise in that it is not a blistering hot load but its accurate and I am comfortable shooting it. My goal will be to shoot it every weekend until I know exactly where it will hit at different distances.I think that with the type bullet at that speed it will penetrate in a dlp situation or hunting scenario. Any of you 45 shooters that have shot animals with a similar loading let me know your experiences

i've got the same gun and at 25yds i've seen a very large vertical spread between my light 8gr bullseye 250gr loads and my 335gr 454 loads. i've read that its the difference between when the bullet exits the barrel due to weight. the odd part is that the 250gr light load is the high one. I've sent the 335 wfn through several green trees before, so i think your 300 should knock the wind out of whatever you shoot with it.

Question is your load in 45colt brass or 454 brass?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I went with the 45 colt brass the because it would be too light of a load for powder in the case of the 454

I would try to work your way up to about 23 grs of 296/110. That is my light load with 335gr H/C and as you shoot more you may want to try it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

what speeds are you getting

Right at 1,200fps with 5.5" barrel.

I am feeling real comfortable with it right now so i may go a little higher i am hitting dead on right now so its a confidence booster.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I am feeling real comfortable with it right now so i may go a little higher i am hitting dead on right now so its a confidence booster.
    Thats the main thing,confidence. How much elevation play do you still have on the rear sight?

I got my first bait station black bear with my Toklat thisyear. I casted a linotype 255gr SWC over H110 with a CCI small rifle magnumprimer doing between 1600 & 1700fps. I shot him from a ground blind between3 & 4 yards away. The bullet went through the rib cage, through the armbone and through the bait barrel. He ranabout 25 yards. He didnít have it in himto let out a death moan as his lungs were soup. That bear is quite tasty.

Probably that powder burning his hide?HEHEHE
    Haven't taken delivery of my Toklat yet, didn't know the .454 cases took small rifle primers, though? Still learning I guess.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    didn't know the .454 cases took small rifle primers, though? Still learning I guess.
    Steve
    You may still happen upon some old ones which used large pistol, but current production is standardized to small rifle. Generally speaking, either will work equally well.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I bought this gun and it was a challenge between where it would hit high up to 18 inches and a load I felt I would shoot enough to become proficent. Today finally got it to hit dead on with bullets touching at 25 yards. The load was 21.8 grains of h110 and a 300 grain hard cast gas check cast performance bullet. Speed should be between 1120-1180. I think its a comprimise in that it is not a blistering hot load but its accurate and I am comfortable shooting it. My goal will be to shoot it every weekend until I know exactly where it will hit at different distances.I think that with the type bullet at that speed it will penetrate in a dlp situation or hunting scenario. Any of you 45 shooters that have shot animals with a similar loading let me know your experiences
    ..I am shooting the same load out of my FA 83....was shooting the load Will mentioned for a couple of years and then decided to drop back down from 335 gr bullet...23gr powder which is a blaster after a while, I still load them occasionally, but don't shoot them often anymore...
    Last edited by Oneriver; 08-03-2014 at 12:54. Reason: left out something

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You may still happen upon some old ones which used large pistol, but current production is standardized to small rifle. Generally speaking, either will work equally well.
    then, why the change? Any ideas?
    Steve

Steve
    Dick Casull had a concern that the LP primers of the day were not strong enough to contain 60,000 psi, so he eventually changed to SR primers. Remington 7 1/2 is now generally the recommended primer. Today, SR and LP primer cup thickness varies from about 0.017 to 0.025 depending on brand. Hardness and tensile strength varies as well. You can find LP primer cups which are stronger and thicker than SR primer cups.... Regardless, if your gun is within specs with regard to firing pin, etc., most brands of LP cups should be plenty strong enough to do the job.

http://www.levergun.com/articles/454_case.htm
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks ioftheiga.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Right at 1,200fps with 5.5" barrel.
    I think it's a 5.0", unless you're talking about something custom.

Semper Fi.

FWIW, with the factory BB .360gr HCFN ammo:

Out of my 7.5" FA M83, I get an average of around 1,495 fps 10ft from the muzzle.

Out of my 5" SRH Toklat, I get an average of about 1,355 fps with the same load.

Pretty awesome loading IMO.

Last range session I had one, and only one, of those rounds go "click" when I shot it. The primer was dented, but no boom and the bullet was still in the case. I'm trying to decide whether I should ignore that, or go with something else on my Sept. Alaska float hunt, such as the Federal 300gr jacketed flat point. I have never had a Federal cartridge not go "boom" on any gun when pulling the trigger. I think the 360gr HCFN would be more ideal, but I don't like FTFs.

Steve
    Because of the pressure ratings of the primers mostly, legal belt and suspenders backside protecting. Also nobody loads 454, 460, and 500 Smith to the rated 65,000psi cuz they are just way too brutal when loaded that hot, top loads are more in the 50,000psi range and pistol primers I think are rated to 45,000psi or so.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I think it's a 5.0", unless you're talking about something custom.

Semper Fi.

FWIW, with the factory BB .360gr HCFN ammo:

Out of my 7.5" FA M83, I get an average of around 1,495 fps 10ft from the muzzle.

Out of my 5" SRH Toklat, I get an average of about 1,355 fps with the same load.

Pretty awesome loading IMO.

Last range session I had one, and only one, of those rounds go "click" when I shot it. The primer was dented, but no boom and the bullet was still in the case. I'm trying to decide whether I should ignore that, or go with something else on my Sept. Alaska float hunt, such as the Federal 300gr jacketed flat point. I have never had a Federal cartridge not go "boom" on any gun when pulling the trigger. I think the 360gr HCFN would be more ideal, but I don't like FTFs.
    There's always Corbon if you are concerned but then the $4+ a round is hard to swallow. They make a jacketed cast 360g round that used to be called a Penetrator and is now the Hunter if memory serves. BB, DT, and Corbon have all been good out of my Toklat. I am a little over 700 rounds fired and no ftf's. Not impressed with accuracy from HSM hardcast.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    There's always Corbon if you are concerned but then the $4+ a round is hard to swallow. They make a jacketed cast 360g round that used to be called a Penetrator and is now the Hunter if memory serves. BB, DT, and Corbon have all been good out of my Toklat. I am a little over 700 rounds fired and no ftf's. Not impressed with accuracy from HSM hardcast.
    I'm a big fan of CorBon ammo. I'm using their 225gr TTSX .340 loads that shoot better than anything I can do and fly out of my muzzle at around 3,160 fps. I also have had great luck with their 10mm and .40 S&W loads among others. But I had one of their 325gr penetrators jump crimp on my FA .454 four years ago before my last hunt, and it locked up the cylinder. That's when I switched to BB. But then I had the one recent problem with that. That's why I'm considering the Federal stuff on this trip. My minor problems with these may be aberrations and one-offs, but I'm just thinking of going with old reliable Federal for this trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast