Thread: Question on electric bear fence

Default Question on electric bear fence

So I drew de706 and am going to go down around the first of November, we will be staying with the raspberry Island lodge there but I have a question for those that have used the portable electric fences. Since they don't weigh too much and elk can take a bit of packing and we have two tags I'm thinking that if we get one or two down and can't get the meat out that day and have to come back the next day if I was to put the fence around the rest of the meat how well do those things work. Would it be worth doing or are they not that good. Thoughts
    Thanks

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Lol don't mean to side track your question but the first thing that came to my mind was a hungry pissed off bear walking circles around your fence when you showed back up the next day. Fence won't stop the foxes an eagles down there. They will do almost as much damage as bears will. I've never seen a deer guy pile last till the next day on Kodiak....a tree would be a better option I would think. If there is one....lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I can see that bear pacing back and forth waiting for the batteries in the fence to die

Well i only need the batteries to last about 12 hours. Till I can get back for the rest. That is if I can't get it out in one day. I don't mind sharing but elk meat is too tasty for it to end up bear ****. I will have extra people with so hoping it's not a problem but if a fence works I'd be willing to buy one and protect my meat.

Find somebody with a bear tag, that's always been the best bear deterrent I've seen.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Or a great way to ensure you'll run into a sow and cubs!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

+1 on both Duck and Jake's post.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    So I drew de706 and am going to go down around the first of November, we will be staying with the raspberry Island lodge there but I have a question for those that have used the portable electric fences. Since they don't weigh too much and elk can take a bit of packing and we have two tags I'm thinking that if we get one or two down and can't get the meat out that day and have to come back the next day if I was to put the fence around the rest of the meat how well do those things work. Would it be worth doing or are they not that good. Thoughts
    Thanks

Always wondered if they were worth their weight. Here's a video from the national outdoor leadership school. http://youtu.be/Sv2G-aRDvyY Looks pretty good if it's 3 feet in, but I wonder if that was juicy elk meat if it'd have the same reaction
    Congrats on the draw!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Thanks

From everything I've heard they work better than you'd think. Steve (stid2677) seems to really like them. You may want to pm him and pick his brain a little......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had one set up around my base camp on Kodiak while I was spiked out for goats overnight. My partner left a 10 pack of O'duals about 30 feet away at the lake shore. When we returned, we found that a bear had shredded and drank every can. Our camp and food was untouched. Did the fence work or did he just give up because it wasn't real beer?

Foxes will be eating on your kill if you leave it overnight. That much is certain.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.