Thread: DG 471-Wild Creek/Center Mountain Goats

Default DG 471-Wild Creek/Center Mountain Goats

I was fortunate enough to draw this tag this year and I was curious if anyone had any specific advice for the area. I'd love to hear about anyone's successful or not goat adventures in DG 471.Thanks!

As of right now, my plan is to go up and over Kashevaroff either by atv or hiking depending on how much snow pack we have this fall. I highly doubt there will be any given the inches of snow that we have seen this winter.

I haven't been back there but I'd be willing to do an early hike/scout with ya back there.

Can't beat local knowledge. ABEL, you need a rep.

I've been in through Kashevarof and Kizhuyak. Shoot me a PM and I will give you the details.

TB

Went over from the Kiz side. Nasty alder choked climb but great walking above the brush line. Scary amount of bears along the streams in mid September. We hauled a goat out of there.

I drew this tag as well, good luck to all.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    Went over from the Kiz side. Nasty alder choked climb but great walking above the brush line. Scary amount of bears along the streams in mid September. We hauled a goat out of there.
    Killed a good billy in there as well a couple years ago. KLN....drop me a pm.
    Proud to be an American!

Used to guide it on the kizuyak side, there's a trail going up if ya can find it. Lol either side you'll have a shot at some goats. Pretty good area. Be in shape!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks you guys, PMs have been sent and a few more will be sent. I'm pretty excited about the hunt. A good buddy of mine, who some how has managed to draw during the last three consecutive years a south road system goat, DS203 -DCUA Sheep, and now DG 471, is hoping to notch his tag as well.

Good luck to you Stid!

Went in from the Kizhuyak side last august right after opening day. We couldn't find the trail that is supposed to be there. Brutal hike up through the alders, but once you get to the 1500' mark it's not that bad. I think the highest peak over there is about 3400'. Scary amount of bears too. They were everywhere in the rivers getting to the mountain, we even had them up on top of the mountain near our camp but they didn't bother us.

Unfortunatly when I was there, there was not a single goat (2 weeks before opening day there were supposedly 90). Saw 3 or 4 across a canyon near Center Mountain but they weren't shootable. Lots of deer though, I ended up with a real buck.

Downside to that hunt is theres really only 3 ways in; Kashevaroff, Kizhuyak Bay or Hidden Basin. All are sea-level. No high lakes that are doable around there other than Terror Lake, which is a different hunt on the other side of the river.

There's is virtually zero salmon in kizuyak in late October....
    The trail goes right up the ridge line that starts with a power pole on the bottom. And there are/were some great bucks in those valleys. Took one that went #16 all time SCI from there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I had that tag. I'll never do that again, for all the reasons listed. Talk to Rolan at Seahawk. He does have one lake he said he can get into, but it has to be EARLY, and DON'T count on it.