Thread: Sheep/Caribou hunt question?

Default Sheep/Caribou hunt question?

Hi Guys
    I'm looking for some ideas on where to go for a good sheep hunt with caribou as well. I have a non res friend of the famliys son, he is 18 and wants to come up caribou hunting the same time I wanted to go on a sheep hunt. I have no idea where we could have a nice hunt with the chance at a nice ram and or caribou. Any ideas on who to flyout with, or if there is a walk in somewhere.
    I was thinking the haul road, but here about how hard it is and would hate to ruin the kid for life. Ha-ha
    Or if the haul road would be a good place to go, are there many caribou by the pass or up in the mountains?
    Thanks for your help.
    Let me know if you have any suggestion, I would sure apresheaite it.
    Thanks a ton
    Gunner

Gunner - Sheep and caribou can both be accessed off the Haul Road, but not usually in the same area. During sheep season (Aug. 10-Sept. 20) the vast majority of the caribou are found 20-80+ miles north of where you would begin finding sheep. If you've got lots of time you might be able to do both, but it would be tough. Does he bowhunt? If not, you're aware of the 5-mile rule, right? Tough hike, but still doable if a person is committed.

As for sheep, you can hike off the Haul Road and be successful, but you will almost certainly have company and finding the areas that hold rams might be tricky. As with all sheep hunting areas, hunters aren't very willing to share their spots. It can be done, but it will take a lot of hard work and hard hiking, and not a little bit of luck.

Hmmm...I can't think of any great fly-in areas that hold both sheep and caribou in the same immediate areas either. Maybe someone else has an idea? You may have to pick one or the other.

Default Caribou/Sheep

If you drew a Kenai Mts. or Talkeetna Mts. Caribou tag you could do a good combo hunt. There are other spots as well, but I can't share due to the sheep hunting location secrecy act of 1973. If you decide to try those draws you better decide soon. May 31 ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    If you drew a Kenai Mts. or Talkeetna Mts. Caribou tag you could do a good combo hunt. There are other spots as well, but I can't share due to the sheep hunting location secrecy act of 1973. If you decide to try those draws you better decide soon. May 31 ya know.
    Do they pass that act every year??? Because I know of the one I voted on and passed in '02, my buddy references his but it's dated '99.

good one fullcurl
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt