Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with this anchor scenario

Default Help with this anchor scenario

6 years ago I used my 22 seasport for a bear hunt. The bay we were hunting is large, but extremely shallow and glacial silt bottom. The only protected spot was behind a small spit. At low tide the spot has 6-8 feet of water, with 20+ foot tides. The tides really rip in this area.

We had three occasions of a drifting anchor, including a fun filled evening of sideways rain and pitch black darkness. I know I didn't have enough chain, 20 feet for a 22 foot boat, and I wasn't able to have proper scope as I wanted to be tucked in behind the spit.

We saw two other boats anchored in the head of the bay, not protected, but with no problems.

Heading back there this spring, in a 24 foot boat. I can add as much chain as needed. Questions about proper scope given this scenario ~ 5-1 or 4-1 with all chain? What have you found to be the best mud anchor? I've read a couple posts about a utilizing a system for shore anchor as well.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I have anchored in a small Cove before and tied off to shore on both sides then tied the boat in the middle. That worked great

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Was your scope based on the high tide water depth, or low tide? Based on ~25' high tide depth you're going to need say 100' of scope for 4:1. As far as how much chain you need, it's a combination of the anchor weight and the chain weight, not just the length. If you were using say a 10 kilo anchor and 20' of 3/8" chain, that should have been enough to keep you from dragging.

Some bottom types are just tough to get the anchor to set, and make sure when you're setting the anchor you put it in reverse and bear down to make sure it's well set. If not, then reset it again until you're confident it's set. I've had occasions where I've had to set the anchor several times before turning in for the night.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Bruce Anchors are really good in this situation vs the Danforth style which must be dragged a longer distance to set. Also go oversize with your anchor and chain (not length but 5/8 vs smaller 3/8 etc). A number of years ago there was a consumer reports like company which did marine boats and equipment testing.

Sobie2

30-50 lb cannonball or a big gob of chain where the line meets the chain should help. Best would be a line to the beach & around something solid or maybe dig in a deadman.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    30-50 lb cannonball or a big gob of chain where the line meets the chain should help. Best would be a line to the beach & around something solid or maybe dig in a deadman.
    I thought about this while we were dragging anchor, as I've heard of it before. A big weight at end of chain, idea keeping the chain at a lower angle, correct? We did find a big, heavy 4d house battery on the beach and I was tempted to throw that on. There is an old relic of a cat loader that's on the beach rusting away that would make a great solid anchor.

Your anchor is to small. No tricks, no gimmicks, no adjusted scope length, bottom line your anchor is to small. I have a 22 Seasport with a monster anchor and it's larger than many on larger boats. I've held buddies boats against it in Williwas, all night storms, you name it! It's too big for a winless, I have a huge buoy to pull it up that fills half the front bow/anchor pit. Get a huge anchor, sleep well.

33lb claw, Bruce style. 40ft 3/8 galv chain. Do not rig for breakaway, because the anchor will not set as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Your anchor is to small. No tricks, no gimmicks, no adjusted scope length, bottom line your anchor is to small. I have a 22 Seasport with a monster anchor and it's larger than many on larger boats. I've held buddies boats against it in Williwas, all night storms, you name it! It's too big for a winless, I have a huge buoy to pull it up that fills half the front bow/anchor pit. Get a huge anchor, sleep well.
    The OP never said what he had for a anchor. So what cha got ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    33lb claw, Bruce style. 40ft 3/8 galv chain. Do not rig for breakaway, because the anchor will not set as well.
    Any problem with most windlass pulling this setup, that has to be close to 100 pounds? Boat doesn't have one now, but I will be adding soon.

I don't like any windlass out there. I do like hydraulic wenches. Or you could use your guns. One other option is to take a storm anchor set up for hunting only set it with a buoy to hang off of.

I'm going with a 33lb Bruce, 600' 1/2" rode with 50' 5/16" chain and a Good Windlass on our Wooldridge build. Can't wait to try it out...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Any problem with most windlass pulling this setup, that has to be close to 100 pounds? Boat doesn't have one now, but I will be adding soon.
    I have the exact setup that MGH55 suggested. It is pretty close to 100lbs. I sleep very well at night. I pull with a buoy when fishing and use the guns when we are anchored for the night with other boats. As I age I keep gravitating toward an anchor winch/windlass. I like the EZ pull anchor winches but they take up a lot of space. The Good windlasses are really attractive and seem to be very well built and have a great reputation.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have a 24' Wooly using a 22lb Lewmar/Delta anchor with 30' of chain and 600' of anchor rode. I like the Delta better than the 22' Bruce that I switched out a year ago. The anchor has held the boat tight in all sea bottoms and sets on the first or second try. I have been using a Lewmar Pro-Series H700 windlass on the boat for 4 years now and have not had a problem with it retrieving the anchor. It is powerful and appropriately sized for the boat. I am to the point where I don't want to use my "guns" for pulling anchor if I don't have to and the convenience of a toggle switch means that my wife can retrieve the anchor as well. The only time I had a problem was when I had Spoiled One rafted up and the weight of the two boats (and admittedly not enough scope) moved us around the anchorage. We got a little up close and personal with one of our "neighbors". Not a good way to be startled awake on a lazy Sunday!

Heading back there this spring, in a 24 foot boat. I can add as much chain as needed. Questions about proper scope given this scenario ~ 5-1 or 4-1 with all chain? What have you found to be the best mud anchor? I've read a couple posts about a utilizing a system for shore anchor as well.
    We've anchored our 26' 11,000 lb boat a zillion overnights in BC and SE AK, with a 7.5kg genuine Bruce and 40' of 1/4" HT chain spliced to 1/2" three-strand rope. Scope generally 3.5 - 5:1 at high tide. Winds to 45 knots. No trouble except in very kelpy or grassy bottoms (sometimes requiring multiple re-sets before a good pull would hold), and in the rare very soft mud bottom, in which the Bruce would never hold strongly. Cleating off and checking the set are essential.

Three years ago we changed to a 10kg Rocna. The 15-year-old S/L Horizon 600 windlass (predecessor to Lewmar Pro 700) has no trouble with the 10kg anchor and 46' of 1/4" chain.

The Rocna sets fast and easy, even in kelp, and has much greater holding power. Rocna 10kg or Manson Supreme would be my choice, far better holding than Bruce/Claw. Delta is somewhere in between.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

I have a similar setup to the quoted one (33lb Bruce plus chain) and have a Lewmar 700H Pro series. I am going on my 6th season on it, and I do nothing other than push the button and watch it work.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I'm going with a 35 lb Mantus, 50' of 5/16" grade 40, and 600' of 1/2" 8 plait for my 26' Hewescraft and don't expect to have any worries when anchoring over night.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

If you have to use 5/16 chain just use 60ft unless you can get a windless that will take 3/8 chain. On my 32ft gillnetter I have 80ft of 3/8 chain and a 44lb bruce, because I have a winch and need my sleep no matter the weather.

The Rocna looks interesting
    http://youtu.be/2meFjHHYhhc
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

This looks like it would hold.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast