Thread: DC851: Caribou Youth Hunt - Forty Mile Herd ?

Question DC851: Caribou Youth Hunt - Forty Mile Herd ?

Sorry that I missed the "Passover" Dinner at Pizza Man tonight. Maybe again next year? Despite going 0-for-17 myself, one of my daughters drew a tag for the Youth Caribou Hunt up in the Forty Mile area. My family is pretty excited for her to show Dad how it's done!

It looks like the youngsters will get first crack at the herd, but, the hunt area is divided into two zones: Zone 1 (GMU's 20B & 25C) along the Steese Highway, and Zone 3 (GMU 20E) along the Taylor Highway. Given the early time of year/season - August 10-21, 2014, which Zone is more likely to contain the most Caribou

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I'm a Zone 3 guy myself and so happy the F&G made a early youth hunt out of this. Tons of info on this site from the past few years... The normal hunt used to open on Aug 10th and from my experience, Chicken was the best place to be around the 10th... I'm sure people will help you out on here since it's a youth hunt. GOOD LUCK AND GET HER OUT THERE!!!

I have only hunted in zone 2, but before the season starts, you can call the hotline to see where the herd is. The times I have called this number, it hasn't been too helpful, but you never know. From what I have read on here, your best chance is probably on the Taylor.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...hunting.40mile

Here's a couple of Taylor Highway bulls from early August last year. We followed them for almost a mile. They just wouldn't get off the road. We could have lassoed them. Lol

Interesting that the hunt map is not available online right now, however when you look at the hunt description, it states:
    DC851 20B, 20E, 25C,20B, 20E, 25C Fortymile Zones 1 and 2 Youth Hunt You may want to verify that the Taylor Highway is open for this hunt, it is in 20 E but it is in Zone 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Interesting that the hunt map is not available online right now, however when you look at the hunt description, it states:
    DC851 20B, 20E, 25C,20B, 20E, 25C Fortymile Zones 1 and 2 Youth Hunt You may want to verify that the Taylor Highway is open for this hunt, it is in 20 E but it is in Zone 3.
    When I pull up that hunt number, I only see the hunt description that says "20B, 20E, 25C, Fortymile Zones 1 and 2 Youth Hunt

Note: this hunt information and map are for the next regulatory year." This is what is shown here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...maps.byspecies

EDIT: Gets more interesting when you look at the hunt supplement and it says it is in zones 1 and 3 (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...supplement.pdf)

skier,

Yea, it is kinda curious that the first link leads to a description of "Zones 1 and 2", even though the GMU's listed are actually located in Zones 1 and 3. I'm thinking a typo error there. The map in the Draw Hunt Supplemental clearly shows and says "Zones 1 & 3". Most of the other hunts in that area have Zones 1&3 and 2&4 linked together, so, I'm thinking that the Supplemental info is probably correct. But, I will stop by the ADF&G office, to make sure.

If Zone 3 is included in this Youth Hunt?
    Is it better to plan on an ATV type hunt (ala GMU 13), or would we be better off planning a float hunt on the Forty Mile River from Mile Marker 49 down to Mile Marker 112 of the Taylor Highway?

Thanx again, Dave & Daughter.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I stopped by the Anchorage ADF&G office today, and they confirmed that the DC851 Youth Hunt will be held in Zones 1 and 3. They plan to have a full-color "Hunt Map" at some point, and it will show the same areas that were shown in the blue & white map in the Supplemental. For the other 29 lucky youngsters out there, I wish you all good luck!

Checked the ADF&G web-site today and there is now a full-color map for this Youth Caribou Hunt.
    But, the typos continue!
    The Zones are listed correctly, but, the map is titled: DC851 Moose Drawing Permit Hunt.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=13755

Here is a Taylor bull this was a few years back when I worked on the Taylor hwy. This bull along with quite a few more were pretty close to eagle in a walk in area. 2 miles in off the road. I missed a bigger bull due to buck fever.
    image.jpg

8/8/2014 update for all the youngsters with 2014 DC851 tags:

I spoke to the ADF&G biologist in Tok this afternoon. They just completed an aerial survey yesterday afternoon with disappointing results. They spotted only 3 caribou anywhere near the Taylor Highway or along any of the major trails leading out from there. His recommendation was to wait another week to see if the Fortymile herd moves any closer to the normal hunting areas. They plan to fly again next Wednesday or Thursday (8/13-14/2014).

Also, due to the possibility that very few caribou may ever make it down into the Taylor & Steese Highway corridors during this year's Youth-only season (August 10-21, 2014), and because the ADF&G wants DC851 to be a positive experience for the 30 youngsters that drew this once-in-a-lifetime tag: if you choose NOT to go out into the field during the 2014 season, you may exchange your 2014 tag for a guaranteed 2015 DC851 Youth Tag next year.

Class Act, ADF&G !!!

Wanted to post an amendment to my earlier update:

Talked to a different guy at the ADF&G office in Tok today. He said that the caribou numbers are still low in Zone 3, but, that they were unable to fly over Zone 1, due to bad weather. He also said that the previous offer to give out guaranteed replacement tags for 2015, was only correct if she received notification of getting her tag "recently". There seems to have been a second round of Youth tags issued in late-summer for some reason, and it is only those tags that may be turned-in for a replacement 2015 tag. If your youngster was drawn in the regular winter lottery (like my daughter), then they must use it this year.

So, now we're packed and heading north tomorrow morning. Good luck to all the other young hunters!

A few years ago I hunted this in late August and ADFG said there weren't any animals around...we shot two from the tent opening morning. Caribou can move and hide, you just never know where they will show up.