Thread: .300 win mag load for bous

Default .300 win mag load for bous

I got a brand new browning x bolt for Christmas chambered in 300 win mag hoping to get into some caribou hunting in with it this fall, I've heard a 300 is a little beefy for caribou, any thoughts on the best loads for them for caribou?

Quote Originally Posted by evannorth View Post
    I…. chambered in 300 win mag hoping to get into some caribou hunting in with it this fall, I've heard a 300 is a little beefy for caribou, any thoughts on the best loads for them for caribou?
    Nice Christmas present...I don't think the .300 is too beefy for a caribou as the ranges can be pretty long in some spots and overkill still winds up in the freezer. I've shot quite a few with the 180gr Accubond…no survivors, good expansion and good exits with minimal meat damage for the power level. You can find it loaded in several factory loads- Federal, Nosler, among others.

Personally I stay away from the 150gr and 165gr in the .300 despite the flashier velocity…a 180 shoots plenty flat and doesn't tear up meat as bad. It is very hard to argue against a .300 shooting stout (ABs, TSX, Bear Claws, Partitions, etc) 180s for an all-around Alaskan rifle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I used a 168gr X-bullet in my 338 last year. Only damage was the off side shoulder.

sent from my igloo

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't have a 300 WM, and won't, but If'n I did, I would follow what Hodgeman said to the letter.

That because, IMO, 150 to 165 is just way too light for the speeds the 300 WM, would give them. I wouldn't trust their terminal performance at close range.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

200 barns x, in my 300win no matter what I am hunting. Why change the way you shoot? Just work up one great load for your 300win, and shoot it well. I have made shots over 300 yards, but most shots are less then 75 yards. If I am any place there are big brown things that might need a dirt nap a 200 barns x will tuck them in

I have only shot 1 caribou with a 300wmag ( browning A Bolt ) and I echo the other posts. When I loaded it I used 180gn NP's and figured I might as well work up a load I could shoot a variety of critters with. To me caribou are one of the easiest animals to get down even with marginal hits and a 180 - 200 grain load is a good long range load if that's the kind of shots you may encounter.
    Good Luck and I think Santa may have dropped my gun off at your house as I got a toaster?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have only shot 1 caribou with a 300wmag ( browning A Bolt ) and I echo the other posts. When I loaded it I used 180gn NP's and figured I might as well work up a load I could shoot a variety of critters with. To me caribou are one of the easiest animals to get down even with marginal hits and a 180 - 200 grain load is a good long range load if that's the kind of shots you may encounter.
    Good Luck and I think Santa may have dropped my gun off at your house as I got a toaster?
    Thanks for the help everybody really appreciate it!! I think I'm going to go with the nosler 180 accubonds! Now if I can only find them anywhere

I Personally use 72 grs. of 4350 with cci mag primers and 180 gr. BARNES on my 77 RUGER .300WM. It is all up to the guns personal barrel. They use those barrel drills for a while and the hole gets smaller as time goes by. Just play with different loads. Starting low and add what you need. Again its all shot placement anyway.
    Goo

I've killed only 3 caribou and those all with a 338 Win Mag and 250 grain Barnes X's - they worked just fine as they have on anything else I've ever shot with them - I certainly don't understand why a 150 or 165 monolithic bullet (or a premium bonded core) shouldn't work just fine on a caribou as they kill thousands of deer every year - an added practice that works well for me is don't hit the meat and you won't ruin any meat

Quote Originally Posted by evannorth View Post
    Thanks for the help everybody really appreciate it!! I think I'm going to go with the nosler 180 accubonds! Now if I can only find them anywhere
    I just bought a box at SW Wasilla last night. Let me know if you see any accubonds in 8 mm...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I just bought a box at SW Wasilla last night. Let me know if you see any accubonds in 8 mm...
    They have a lot in stock? And perfect I'll be out there anyway for the Iditarod and I will be sure to let you know!

Not too many....hit or miss just like everything else reloading these days

Yeah that's true! Hopefully I'll find some and get her all sighted in this weekand! Thanks for all the help