Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costco Kayaks

Default Costco Kayaks

Costco has the yellow kayaks again. We have a couple of them and for the price ($350ish) they are hard to beat. They are very stable and track well for what they are. The kids even use them as stand up boards.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

They work well, but it is my understanding that if you punch a hole in them they cannot be repaired.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    They work well, but it is my understanding that if you punch a hole in them they cannot be repaired.
    Have you talked with someone that punched a hole in one? I suppose it is possible, but you would really have to work hard to do that IMO. The molded plastic is extremely tough. We have used the heck out of ours and I cannot imagine compromising them with normal use.

Hey Spoiled One. Thanks for posting up on this. Terri and I think we'll spend our Christmas money on one or two. You guys have had so much fun with them that it just makes sense for a family. Did you replace the one that disappeared on ya?

Any idea what the length is and what they come with (i.e. paddle, skirts, etc)?

Thanks again.

Yea, replacing the one that went missing. I believe they are just a bit longer than 10 feet. They come with a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Yea, replacing the one that went missing. I believe they are just a bit longer than 10 feet. They come with a paddle.
    Great! Thanks for the info. Guess there will be a ridiculous amount of yellow kayaks if we have a chance to anchor up this summer.

Have you talked with someone that punched a hole in one? I suppose it is possible, but you would really have to work hard to do that IMO. The molded plastic is extremely tough. We have used the heck out of ours and I cannot imagine compromising them with normal use.
    No, I have a couple at my cabin in Kenai, and I have not had any issues with them. Someone told me that some years ago, and said that compared to the higher end kayaks that was one difference. I just thought I would pass it along as something to consider and watch out for.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Great! Thanks for the info. Guess there will be a ridiculous amount of yellow kayaks if we have a chance to anchor up this summer.
    like a bunch of water born banana's !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    like a bunch of water born banana's !!!
    Will they repel salmon???

Scott

Not sure what material they are made out of, but guessing polyethelene. Check with the manufacturer, and then contact these guys.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/Kayak-...nal-KC-Welder/

I had an attack of the stupids and managed to cut into my cross-linked polyethelene fuel tank on my bo. After trying to find someone to repair it locally (I'm sure with liability concerns nobody would touch it) I found I'd either have to buy a new tank, or repair it myself. $60 for a welding kit vs. $600 for a tank, I didn't have much to loose.

I called Urethane supply, told them my dilemma and they said while technically you can't weld cross-linked PE, if you V-out the area, get it really hot and use the wire mesh to re-inforce the repair it should work fine. I followed their instructions and tested the repair by putting the tank vertically with the repair at the bottom and filling it with water. The repair held like a champ.

I've used the welder on snowmachine tubs and trailer fenders as well. If the plastic is severly UV degraded and cracking then you are SOL. But for patching a hole it works like a champ.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Well worth the money!!!!

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Are they good to learn on? I've never kayaked before but I'm interested in trying it out. $350 isn't much money. Can you cover water pretty good in them? How stable are they? Light enough to pack around?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Are they good to learn on? I've never kayaked before but I'm interested in trying it out. $350 isn't much money. Can you cover water pretty good in them? How stable are they? Light enough to pack around?
    I think that they are a great starter yak. They are extremely stable (see the kids standing up in them in my second pic?). I step into them from the big boat and have yet to get take a swim. They track straight and paddle easily and weigh around 50 pounds. If you want to cover some ground I suspect that you would want a real sea kayak, but they are a great little boat for what they are.

My wife and boys love the one we have, I am a raft guy and will stick with the tender, but my balance sucks.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    No, I have a couple at my cabin in Kenai, and I have not had any issues with them. Someone told me that some years ago, and said that compared to the higher end kayaks that was one difference. I just thought I would pass it along as something to consider and watch out for.
    I just took a look at the new ones and then at one of my older ones and I think the new ones are built a little different. The plastic seems different and the opening is wider and a couple of inches longer. They don't seem as "tough". I have no idea what UV exposure does to them, but that could be the difference in look and feel. Still a great value IMO.

I just took a look at the new ones and then at one of my older ones and I think the new ones are built a little different. The plastic seems different and the opening is wider and a couple of inches longer. They don't seem as "tough". I have no idea what UV exposure does to them, but that could be the difference in look and feel. Still a great value IMO.
    Any idea what their capacity is?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Any idea what their capacity is?
    Weight capacity.

I am darn close to 300 and it floated me just fine.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Weight capacity.
    It said 275 pounds on the box.

Do they have rod holders? I have seen walls descending into the ocean where really big Ling Cod must live but I do not want to get in that close with a glass boat ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast