Thread: Kryptek clothing?

Default Kryptek clothing?

Anyone use this stuff yet? I was looking at it in Sportsmans today and looks and feels like good stuff but just looking for firs hand experience especially for their rain gear. I'm not saying I don't have any but I think sitka gear is over priced but the guys that have it love it including me. I'm looking for another set of lightweight rain gear to add to the pack this season. My cabela's gortex is finally wearing out and I was really happy with that but always on the lookout for better stuff. I know the stuff is probably made in China but if memory is correct it was designed and sold by a fellow Alaskan company so if it's good stuff I'll give it a try and it's half the price of sitka gear.
    Thanks guys
    Tony

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

I know a couple of people who use the Kryptek camo and like it. I personally like the look and got seat covers for my 2 off road vehicles with it! LOL

I don't personally own any but my hunting partner uses it exclusively and I have handled some of it. It seems to be well made and very close in quality to the KUIU stuff that I have. I thought I heard that some of the stuff they had in sportsmans warehouse awhile back was 'last years stuff' so if you want the latest and greatest that they offer be sure to shop around.

I have the Koldo set, as well as a vest and some 1/4 zip shirts. Its awesome stuff. Its 100% waterproof and probably the most abrasion-resistant stuff on the market right now.

The stuff if fine, however, the pockets will fill up and hold water if you don't seal the embroidered logo...

The pockets/zippers are waterproof but the cotton thread that is used for the logo isn't...it will wick water quickly and deposit it into the pocket where it can't get out...

First time i used my jacket I had my phone in the pocket and it got soaked, I was pissed...it is an easy fix with a dab of aquaseal...(see picture)...you'll see the logo is at the top of the pocket so water seeps in and runs to the bottom of the pocket and collect there, i had over an inch of standing water on the INSIDE of my pocket

The seams are sealed on the coat but there is no seam seal material behind the logo, no idea why they didn't do it...i got my stuff in the fall of 2012 so maybe they have fixed the issue by now...

I got the pants and they have the same problem...

Overall it is worth the money in my opinion once you seal the logo...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Inside of logo, nothing sealing it...

pull my finger....

I picked up a pair of gloves I used for Duck hunting. Was extremely impressed how warm they were and how well they resisted soaking up water. They do eventually soak up water but it took all day.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    The stuff if fine, however, the pockets will fill up and hold water if you don't seal the embroidered logo...

The pockets/zippers are waterproof but the cotton thread that is used for the logo isn't...it will wick water quickly and deposit it into the pocket where it can't get out...

First time i used my jacket I had my phone in the pocket and it got soaked, I was pissed...it is an easy fix with a dab of aquaseal...(see picture)...you'll see the logo is at the top of the pocket so water seeps in and runs to the bottom of the pocket and collect there, i had over an inch of standing water on the INSIDE of my pocket

The seams are sealed on the coat but there is no seam seal material behind the logo, no idea why they didn't do it...i got my stuff in the fall of 2012 so maybe they have fixed the issue by now...

I got the pants and they have the same problem...

Overall it is worth the money in my opinion once you seal the logo...
    From what I understand, they corrected the issues in 2013 when they changed the style a bit. Also, I don't think they are producing the mountain mimicry pattern anymore, which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by h20fowler View Post
    From what I understand, they corrected the issues in 2013 when they changed the style a bit. .
    Good to hear, such a stupid oversight it was a shame to see...
    pull my finger....

I've got quite a bit of there stuff and really like it. My favorites are the cadog jacket and pants. The fleece lining is warm enough for relatively cold weather but it isn't too hot for warmer weather. The ventilation zippers are great for air circulation while you're hiking. Just look at my aviator picture and you can see my Dad and I wearing them on a sheep hunt that had every kind of weather imaginable.

I have the Poseidon rain set and love it. Also got the Cadog pants, merino top and bottom, and the borealis jacket. All great stuff.

I have the Koldo top and bottom, the hood is completely non functional, maybe they redesigned it for 2014, but the gear I bought from their website last august isnt anything I could in good conscience recomend to anyone. Like was mentioned, it needs seam sealed also, which should be done at the factory with seam tape, not silicone like I had to do. Kuiu Chugach rain gear is far superior in my opinion, although the Kuiu Yukon (which i dont have and havent used) is probably a better comparison.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    ... the hood is completely non functional .
    Just curious, what makes a hood non functional?...size? adjustability? brim?
    pull my finger....

The shape could fit a conehead, and the only adjutment/pull cord is at theback, basically just bunches a resovoir tip at the top, it has no side pull adjustments like found on most all other jackets or hoodies. Also the cut of it leaves cheeks fully exposed, the wind sometimes blows out here and any headwind takes the hood back and off.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Just curious, what makes a hood non functional?...size? adjustability? brim?
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    The shape could fit a conehead, and the only adjutment/pull cord is at theback, basically just bunches a resovoir tip at the top, it has no side pull adjustments like found on most all other jackets or hoodies.
    Lol...that's good, i actually noticed the lack of pull cord where the hood meets the collar and now that you mention it I remember being bummed about it the first time I got caught in some wind driven rain...

...but I must admit, I do like the 'reservoir' tip it keeps the hood on my head when the wind picks up...
    pull my finger....

Best camo on the market IMO im
    running the cadog jacket and alaios pants, threw the hoodie in for warm weather and its the best set up! havent had a chance to snag any rain gear yet, its next on the list! sitka is fine if you have alot of i dont care $$$

Tried their stuff at sheep show 2014, it seemed like some pretty well designed (and comfortable) rainwear. Guide-friend wore it for 60+ days afield last year and reported supreme success. This coming from a guy who walks out a pair of kennetreks in less than a season.

Full set of Koldo, Alios pants, and Zeuss gloves. Love the Koldo gear and the Alios pants, the gloves have a little exposed opening where the Velcro straps close on the wrist. In a downpour the rain runs right down the sleeve of my jacket and into the glove. Haven't had the hood problem mentioned earlier. Maybe I have a cone head.

The new stuff runs small, go try it on before you buy. I usually wear 2xl and in the newer Krypetc that is 4 xl.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Decent stuff...I put a Sitka vest over it and it covers all of the bases except for really cold days. Then the nano-puff or ID PLQ jacket comes out.
    Proud to be an American!