Thread: Coastal Guide Licensing??

Question Coastal Guide Licensing??

I have decided to become proactive in trying to schedule my husband a flight to Anchorage to do a Coastal Guide Licensing exam that he said was supposed to be in July or August.
    The only thing that I have found is:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tacts.cfm#drug
    which basically only gives information and phone numbers and not really dates, times, or places where this will be located at.

I'd like to get this organized for him not only so that he could continue his registered guiding pursuits, but also because I'd like to possibly plan a family trip around this guide exam.

Please let me know if you have any information.

Thank you in advanced!

If a Coast Guard license is what he is interested in you don't have to go to Alaska to get it, there are REC's (regional exam centers) around the country, check here, http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/mmic-regions.htm they only do the actual testing though, not the classes, you can find info about CG approved courses on the CG website.

Default USCG license exam

Here is a link to the US Coast Guard web site http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/index.htm. Here you can find all of the forms and requirements and so on. Next, you will need to contact the Regional Exam Center in your area to schedule an exam.

Anchorage:
    U.S. Coast Guard
    REC Anchorage
    800 E. Dimond Blvd. Suite 3-227
    Anchorage, AK 99501
    (907) 271-6736 voice
    (907) 271-6742 fax

Default Excellent!!

Thanks SOOO much for letting me know.
    Do you any of you know anything about this entity?
    http://www.alaskasnauticaltrainingschool.com/

Default Alaska Nautical Training School

This group has a good reputation and high pass rate. They are able to administer the exams right on site so that you don't need to go to the REC for an exam.

Default How many days on the water is needed

to get a transporter license? Can't find the info on the sites and there so many freaking things to click you get lost and can't find the right info. A license just for a 6 pack boat to transport people around. I have over 90 days logged so far. I know it is 360 days for the 50 ton license. Thanks for any help.

Default transporter license

all you need for a transporter license is to already have your CG license and then pay the state some more money...no requirements other then insurance, maybe 1st aid....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default "Transporter license"

The requirements for a transporter license are different depending on where you will be operating.

A Limited OUPV, specifically designated for launchtenders, camps, and guides, you need 90 days http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/checklists/...0Checklist.pdf

If you are transporting in coastal areas, such as running deer/bear hunters from an offshore vessel to shore, you need an OUPV/6-Pack, thus 360 days
    http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/checklists/...FM-REC-107.pdf

To see the different ratings, go to http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/index.htm, click on Charter Boat Capt and then a sub menu will pop up with the different options. "Transporter" is not an option.

Default looks like i just need

to apply for the license. Good to go on the days on the water. just need to get the classes for the boater safety or whatever and maybe first aid. this might be my excuse to finally buy a bigger boat. Thanks for the links and info guys. Now the rest is up to me.

Default Agreed...

Agreed... the rest is up to my husband. Thanks for all the information. It was incredibly helpful... now they just have to update their July/August calender and we have an excuse to make it down to Anchorage from Faibanks.

Wow... there are some confusing terms here!
    In order to drive a boat with passengers for hire aboard, you need a USCG Captain's License. 360 days of sea time required for an OUPV (6-Pack) license, and 720 days required for a MMD, Masters (aka: 50-ton, 100-ton, etc.) The area in which you operate your vessel and log your time will dictate the endorsements on your license, ie: inland waters, near coastal, open ocean, rivers, etc.

Now, to guide sport fishermen, you need an Alaska "Guide" license for both the business and the guide (can be combined.) This license has nothing to do with your captain's license and ability to drive a boat. In fact, you can be a sport fishing guide without a boat at all... albeit a bit strange of an affair.

To be a big game "Transporter" you don't need a boat at all... there are plenty of transporters that fly or drive. That's a matter of meeting a few basic state requirements and paying a fee at the Department of Occupational Licensing.

If someone wanted to run a diverse bit of business, they should get a captain's license first, then pursue whether they want to be a fishing guide, game transporter, hunting guide, etc.... Unless you don't want to do any of that from a boat, then you can safely skip the captain's license part. (Don't forget about the 1st aid, insurance, payroll, book-keeping, etc. requirements of running a business as well!)

Hope this helps clarify some, or at least doesn't annoy anyone too much! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Wow... there are some confusing terms here!
    In order to drive a boat with passengers for hire aboard, you need a USCG Captain's License. 360 days of sea time required for an OUPV (6-Pack) license, and 720 days required for a MMD, Masters (aka: 50-ton, 100-ton, etc.) The area in which you operate your vessel and log your time will dictate the endorsements on your license, ie: inland waters, near coastal, open ocean, rivers, etc.

Now, to guide sport fishermen, you need an Alaska "Guide" license for both the business and the guide (can be combined.) This license has nothing to do with your captain's license and ability to drive a boat. In fact, you can be a sport fishing guide without a boat at all... albeit a bit strange of an affair.

To be a big game "Transporter" you don't need a boat at all... there are plenty of transporters that fly or drive. That's a matter of meeting a few basic state requirements and paying a fee at the Department of Occupational Licensing.

If someone wanted to run a diverse bit of business, they should get a captain's license first, then pursue whether they want to be a fishing guide, game transporter, hunting guide, etc.... Unless you don't want to do any of that from a boat, then you can safely skip the captain's license part. (Don't forget about the 1st aid, insurance, payroll, book-keeping, etc. requirements of running a business as well!)

Hope this helps clarify some, or at least doesn't annoy anyone too much! ;-)

-Case
    No, not at all. Made complete sense to me.

The husband is interested in broadening his client base. He's currently a registered guide in 2 GMU's including the area of Valdez (I forget... GMU 6??). He has a buddy that does charter boats in the area, but no guide. Funny that he could find the clients, but not guide them. I don't quite understand it all myself, but what I know is that they want to do something together in regards to guiding... and so the husband wants to do something along those lines, too.
    I just want to support him. Many wives don't support their husbands in their interests in the outdoors and I want to be the last one to disrupt his goals and achievements that he would be able to be incredibly successful at because he's good at what he does. (...or maybe I am just bias because he's my husband and I probably know a fraction of what he does when it comes to hunting... well, I'll admit it, I know very little when it comes to hunting up here)
    All in all... he's interested, I want to empower him to accomplish it... and then all parties will be happy. It's worth it for me to send him out there to take the courses and to have the opportunity to take the exams.

Default Little clarification on CG licensing requirements

Most of the post who were stating what is required for a license were accurate but some items were a little off. So I wanted to add a little clarification. The type of license your husband would want depends on what waters he will be on (fresh water or salt) and also if he wants to take 6 people or more. Here is a break down of how many days you will need for each.

Limited Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels on the Freshwaters and Rivers of Alaska (you can only get this license from the Anchorage REC):

90 days of sea service but 30 days has to be within the last three years. Also, drift boat time can be used for 80% of time submitted but you need to submit motorized time for the remaining 20%.

Operator of Unispected Passenger Vessels upon Inland waters (aka 6 pack):

360 days of service with 90 days within the last three years.

Operator of Unispected Passenger Vessels upon Near Coastal waters (6 pack):

360 days of service with 90 days within the last three years AND 90 days of near coastal time. You will have to look up the boundary lines to see if the waters you are operating in are near coastal or inland.

Master 25 ton upon Inland waters (this type of license allows you to take more people but limits you to the tonnage of the vessel. Also tonnage will vary depending on experience.)

360 days of service with 90 days within the past three years.

Master 25 ton upon Near Coastal waters

720 days of service on near coastal waters (but 360 of those days can be on Inland waters) AND 90 days within the past three years.

There are many other items that go into getting a license. Application, physical, drug test, first aid/cpr etc., so I suggest contacting a regional exam center if you want information or just to ask questions. I hear the Anchorage REC actually answers their phones.