Thread: Novak sights

Default Novak sights

Hello all; I am wanting to upgrade the sights on my Colt Combat Commander. I have settled on the Novak Tritium wide Notch rear and the Triutim Mega-dot front. My 55 year old eyes are not what they usde to be and I am hopeing this set-up will fit the bill.! Anyone with any experience with this system could you plase join the conversation. Thank-you in advance for your consideration.

Joseph

Not good for bullseye but good for your purpose. Practice point shooting using the front sight out to fifteen yards and you should be good
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I guess this raises a good question. What is your Colt Commander used for? If it's bullseye, like Amigo said, they aren't bullseye sights. If it's carry/defense, you will probably be happy.

I don't use these sights, but I use a similar set up on my carry pistol. I use Trijicon HD night sights. Big bright ball at the front, U groove at the back. It's a flash sight picture. Some people call them Combat sights. The intent is fast acquisition and firing, but they aren't going to get you unbelievable groups at 50 yards.

The Novak looks like just more white on the front. OK, but big whoop. The Trijicon HD looks much nicer to me, and several other brands that are using colored front sights with tritium inserts. YMMV.

But then Ive also never really liked the Novak rear sight. It's great if you don't want to be able to snag it; i do.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    The Novak looks like just more white on the front. OK, but big whoop. The Trijicon HD looks much nicer to me, and several other brands that are using colored front sights with tritium inserts. YMMV.

But then Ive also never really liked the Novak rear sight. It's great if you don't want to be able to snag it; i do.
    When I chose mine, I tested 2 guns with the Trijicon HD. One with Yellow one with orange. My eye picked out the orange faster than the yellow, so I chose yellow. The guy at the counter said most people pick up the yellow faster. Maybe I'm weird, but at least I was able to test it.

I have used Novak front and rear night sights on a 1911 and Hi Power front for many years for many years. They work fine for me. I recently put a set of Warren Tactical night sights on my Glock 19. They have a wide notch on the rear with a orange dot and a post on the front with a green dot. They make them for the Novak cut on a 1911 and I will be getting a pair as I think they are a better combat sight and the shape allows for an easier one handed slide rack off of what ever is handy if needed.