Thread: DM408 ... Success? .. Anybody?

Default DM408 ... Success? .. Anybody?

I drew this tag ....it was literally my last choice. I am still kinda new to the mat-su anchorage area ...moved here a year ago. I immediately did a search on here to find the access points and difficulties I might encounter. I haven't heard any success stories or advice on this area aside from the whole "get permission" bit.
    Before I see a barrage of " why would you apply If you don't know the area" comments, understand I am new to the area I have 6 draws for moose and I really would like to put one in the freezer. So looked at areas that I could hunt often and would need to take a week off from work.
    I have a quad and a set of boots.... now that I know I have the opportunity I will put my time in this summer. But if anybody has any info that I could use or landowners that might be nice enough to let me go through to public land I would be thankful for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

A boat is going to be a lot more useful than a quad. Hike up Lazy to get your legs in shape, and watch out for Eklutna land off of Maud

Thanks for the heads up regarding the native land I don't have a boat at this time maybe by opening day I might, but until I know I do I will have to plan for not having one.

Your last choice, our 1st choice! Its our backyard and my oldest boy drew a tag. We'll be eating moose next winter and you will to if you're willing to hike and spend some time on the local trails. It is a good draw...

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    Your last choice, our 1st choice! Its our backyard and my oldest boy drew a tag. We'll be eating moose next winter and you will to if you're willing to hike and spend some time on the local trails. It is a good draw...
    Well I plan on spending my summer scouting the area. It's good to hear positive feedback on the draw.
    Best of luck to your son.

My young daughter also drew this tag... Very excited, she is young and I will give up my moose for her. I to plan on spending some time this summer trying to get back in the area. I am a bit limited as I don't have a boat (yet) and just a Ranger. I think it is going to be awesome just to spend some time in the woods with her and bring her into hunting. It is great to know that she may be the one of the family to be providing the meat for this winter...

I drew that tag last year and literally got mine 30 yardsout of my front door. It is seldom that I donít see 5+ moose in my yard on myR&R. Last week we had 4 at one time, all within 75 yards of the house.There are land restrictions the further up the mountain you go, but there arepermits available. Google Chickaloon moose creek native association and theyhave the information you need. One very important tip is being EXTREAMLYcareful what is downrange as there is lots of houses that canít be seen. Whenit gets closer to the season, PM me and I'll tell you any advice I have on thearea. Congratulations and happy hunting!!

I drew this tag and I am running into the same "get Permission " bit. I put in for this tag because i am looking for the meat in the freezer not the trophy on the wall. The close proximity to anchorage made me hope full that i would be able to get away on multiple attempts to scout etc.

I am willing to put in the work as well as share meat and beer with anyone willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    Before I see a barrage of " why would you apply If you don't know the area" comments, understand I am new to the area
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh well, you live and you learn. Don't sweat it. I never put in for that tag because it is mostly private access like you are saying. If I were you I think I would try two things. #1) I would try to float down the Matanuska River with my raft and shoot one off the river #2) I would try to find a moose on someone's property, drive up to their house and politely ask if you can shoot it. It might help if you offer to give them a liberal portion of the meat (like a quarter, or some backstraps, or even half if you are desperate). Good luck.