Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gunwriters versus Internet Forums

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Gunwriters versus Internet Forums

Has anyone else noticed, or am I the only one? That for some time, now, we have writers in the Gun Magazines complaining about Misinformation on Internet Forums.

That torques my jaws, because I've gotten a lot of very sound information from Internet Forums. And, I've gotten misleading information from Gun Magazines.

IMO, forums are more helpful. Maybe, these writers don't like the competition. I only post on this one, anymore, but in the past, I've frequented several different ones. There could be as many Gun Forums as Gun Magazines.

The number of Forums out there, and their popularity should indicate something, as to their usefulness.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Considering the fact that forums are "live" and any misinfo is going to be challenged right away, while the "gun writter" in a magazine is pretty much just one guy who writes an article that doesn't get to have a live debate, I'll put my stock in forums and their ability to sort things out. Plus, it's nice to see multiple points of view on a subject rather than just succumb to the slant of the article from a guy who was just given a free gun by XYZ company to "test" for his new article.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

JOAT:

That's right, things get hashed out from many perspectives on this Forum.

Just tonight, I was looking amongst my papers for something about Belted cases, and ran across some printed pages that were your response to a question I'd asked about handgun shooting, practice etc.

Don't get the bighead, but it was much better, in terms of usefulness and information than anything I've seen on the subject in ANY Gun Magazine.

I will still enjoy reading the Magazines, and I probably won't give them up entirely, but they don't offer near the amount of information, or even the entertainment available on a good Forum.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I've read a lot of gibberish in a lot of places so I'd have a hard time determining which source has the high ground. I will say that a significant point in the gun writers favor is that they are not allowed to publish their information anonymously, which is pretty standard fare on the world wide web..........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Some writers use these forums as their source. Of course they want them to be accurate.

Seems bass ackwards to me. We should be discussing what they write. Not writing what we're discussing

I'm with JOAT on this one. I rarely buy gun magazines anymore. I used to buy them to learn stuff but I haven't learned much from gun writers in a while.

I agree with JOAT also.

Gun writers are in a dying profession. More than likely his comment was made because of frustration with the competition. It also could have been made because he knows he cannot compete with numerous people giving their experience with a firearm. The Internet forum responders will probably have far more practical experience than the gun writer has. There is a good chance they are more knowledgeable too.

That last sentence does not mean to take anything at face value. If a lot of different people say something very good or very bad about any firearm, it is very likely to be true.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

The big differences for me are "How did he get the gun?" and "Who's paying the bills?"

Gun writers get their guns on loan and are obligated to write good stuff. And they don't get more guns or get paid if they don't write good stuff. I don't pay any more attention to them than I do guys scratching their bottoms and speculating on forums. But guys on the web who bought the guns with their own money and put in more time than a weekend with them have my full attention.

Lets see........the gun writers get a "free" weapon. Writes a glowing review, even if the rifle does not shoot well they will mention it has "potential".
    Then a bunch of Joe Blows buy the same rifle with their own money and find out the rifles are crap. They suck up their pride and report they made a mistake buying the brand in question.

So then the writer talks about all the misinformation on the forums because it is different than his glowing report. I would say 99% of gun writers are nothing but whores for the gun industry.

There are good sites that have gun writers and builders as posters and some sites have first gun or hunt ever experts. Couple of the best are Doublegunshop and handgun hunters magazine.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Eight years ago I joined this forum thinking I had something to offer. After all I have been shooting guns all my life and I have subscribed to every gunrag ever published. Heck I even loaded some of my own ammo! Well it didn't take me long to figure out that I had a lot more to gain than contribute from this forum.

It's kind of funny to watch guys even on this forum try to establish a pecking order. The ones that try to one up everything that is said just get the deaf ear from me. There are very few of them like that on this forum and usually they are here just long enough to see that they aren't impressing anyone and then they move on.

Then there are the ones like professor Murphy. He doesn't post much here any more but he has more gun knowledge than I have time to learn. He would ask a very thought provoking question and it would stimulate minds to thinking deep and then he'd sit back for a while and let the chatter take over then in the end he would answer his own question with a well defined answer that even ole EKC could understand.

There are several others that have helped me out a bunch with gun problems over the course of the last 8 years. Brownbear has been there and done that. When he gives an answer it is the voice of experience. You can take what he says to the bank. He has handled about every gun there is and has come full circle. He would rather hunt with a musket than the best Blazer money can buy. I can really appreciate that. I think it's an old guy thing.

Three guys in particular on this forum have become good friends. We hash it out on the phone, we think alike and we are all old farts. Smokey lives next door in Illinois. He keeps me updated on his goings on. He has taken a young man in his neighborhood under his wing and has taught that kid the way of the gun and how to trap in the most professional manner in existence. Nobody is a better coyote trapper than the Smokster. Young Stevie will one day realize how lucky he was to come into contact with Smoke! Smokey ,his wife and my wife and I get together when we can but it isn't often enough. Smitty(smitty of the north) and Andy(ADFields) are good ens. A couple of old codgers that have been there and done that. They are the kind of guys that wouldn't ever ask a thing from you but would give you the shirts off of their back. I am getting so deef that talking on the phone is hard but I plan to make an effort to keep in contact with this pair. I've told my wife that an Alaska hunting trip will probably never happen now but I would sure like to meet Smitty and Andy before they lay sod over me. The three knotheads that I just singled out all had a part in making my favorite gun come to be. I'm not just real sure about how it all transpired but I ended up with a Rossi 92 in 256 Win Mag that is my most valued firearm(AD's fingers worked the magic that took it from a 357 to 256). I can hardly put the thing down. Next fall I will forgo bowhunting to fill the freezer with skirls shot with my new toy.

Ok, I have to go find my dog now as I let him out just before I got entangled on this here forum for the thousandth time. There he is, across the street. He's got a cat treed......should I shoot the cat for him? Good boy Hank! (named after BrownBear and he's is a good dog

I could go on and on and on about the good people on this forum but I ain't that long winded anymore. There are a bunch of them. "Gunbugs" and "The Kid" have both done gun work for me that was absolutely first rate. I never doubt any advise that I get from either of the two. I should mention more guys on here but where does one stop?

I should have alluded to the fact that I have never made a friend from a gun rag. i have asked their experts questions and never even been answered. No sir... there ain't no comparison betwixt this here forum and a gun rag. The onliest gunrags I get nowadays are the ones they send me for donating money to a gun cause.

P.S. Hank didn't need no help with the cat....he's learnin (it was a stray that the coyotes missed)

Great thread. Especially all the responses. Thanks.

I would also offer that (and this is purely opinion, so read not as authoritative but as a thought) that it's not just gun magazines that are seeing this phenomenon. In general it seems to me all print is suffering from the age of instant information spread at the speed of the internet. It used to be that any information you needed you had to search in physical locations. Libraries, news print, books etc. Now, you "google" it or "bing" or whatever you prefer for your search engine. You can learn almost everything you need to know at the touch of an enter key. It seems like blogs or forums are now the repository for what info you might be looking for.

A case in point. Reloading data. Sure they still make and publish the manuals hard copy, but it's getting to the point that you can find most of it on manufacturer's websites. Not everything, and I'm not arguing no one needs a manual, not at all. Just saying, if you need a load build up, you can pretty much find it searching the web.

What the forums also do is give a place for people who are experts or even relatively experienced to produce that knowledge without having to be labeled by the gun magazine industry as such. Then let the people out there decide if they are.

I thought it was obvious. Gunrags are for reading about guns on the crapper, and forums like this with experienced, helpful, and responsive people are for learning things and asking about the stuff you read in the crapper.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I thought it was obvious. Gunrags are for reading about guns on the crapper, and forums like this with experienced, helpful, and responsive people are for learning things and asking about the stuff you read in the crapper.
    Hmmm, one of these days I reckon I'll have to get mine outfitted with some skeeter screens, and a door, maybe some heat...that whole bit about reading out there sounds kinda nice. You got electric lights too, or do ya use a lamp?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Hmmm, one of these days I reckon I'll have to get mine outfitted with some skeeter screens, and a door, maybe some heat...that whole bit about reading out there sounds kinda nice. You got electric lights too, or do ya use a lamp?
    Naw, I plan my gunrag reading and other duties for work hours, I get less skeeter bites in unscratchable places that way..LOL.

Actually, I had an outhouse and no running water for about 15 years, 4 of which was living with my future wife, and that is how you end up with 'lectric lights and whooshing noises..

I always took perverse pleasure in having a handgun handy to go take a dump.

This kind of humor just doesn't come across well in a mag. Here we can get a "feel" for the person and smile at such written words.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I agree with JOAT also.

Gun writers are in a dying profession. More than likely his comment was made because of frustration with the competition. It also could have been made because he knows he cannot compete with numerous people giving their experience with a firearm. The Internet forum responders will probably have far more practical experience than the gun writer has. There is a good chance they are more knowledgeable too.

That last sentence does not mean to take anything at face value. If a lot of different people say something very good or very bad about any firearm, it is very likely to be true.
    I can't disagree with any of that, but there are people who don't use the Internet Forums and those who don't even do pooters. So the Gun Writers should be around a little while longer.

And there are Gun Writers who spend time as PART OF, an Internet Forum, right now, so some of them may clean up their act, and adapt.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The big differences for me are "How did he get the gun?" and "Who's paying the bills?"

Gun writers get their guns on loan and are obligated to write good stuff. And they don't get more guns or get paid if they don't write good stuff. I don't pay any more attention to them than I do guys scratching their bottoms and speculating on forums. But guys on the web who bought the guns with their own money and put in more time than a weekend with them have my full attention.
    I think you're right. I usta try to give them benefit of the doubt, but then I started noticing products that were in WIDE USE, and I know they were because a lot of them were sold.

I could get information on the manufacturers website, but more was desirable, BUT not one word was written about them, in Gun publications. The publication business is more about selectively promoting products, than providing needed information about what is out there.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've read a lot of gibberish in a lot of places so I'd have a hard time determining which source has the high ground. I will say that a significant point in the gun writers favor is that they are not allowed to publish their information anonymously, which is pretty standard fare on the world wide web..........
    I don't know why they would WANT to "publish their information anonymously". That's not how the business works. They ain't doin it for fun.

Nor, do I see anything underhanded in being anonymous on a Forum. I suspect that a forum wouldn't be around long enough to serve any useful purpose, if we had to divulge personal information.

Of course, you can divulge as much as you like. That's what your profile is all about.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast