Thread: Dc001

Default Dc001

First year applying for the draw and got 001 caribou and dont know a whole lot about the area. I did some research and have a little information but was wondering if anyone else has hunted this recently and knows anything about the herd and how to find it. Any information would help a lot since I have only been up here for 2 years.

It may seem overly simplistic, but get high and cover as much ground as possible. While there may be areas with slightly higher concentrations of animals, this "herd" is spread thinly over a wide area - success comes to those who are in the right place at the right time in the alpine. The caribou I've found in this area are often above the sheep and goats. Good luck! This is one of my favorite hunts!

Thanks for the info. Hopefully with a lot of work and a little luck I will have a nice picture to upload next fall.

Do a search for DC001 here on the hunting forum and you'll find quite a few threads on this hunt. You should find plenty of reading to get you started. Talk to Fish and Game in Soldotna, they used to do annual goat counts of the area and would count up the groups of caribou while searching for goats. They won't be able to tell you where the caribou are but should have an idea on the health of the herd and give you some general drainages worth looking at.

Dangit Ive wanted this one for so long. Do some research! its. not. that. hard. I mean good luck and all...but jimminy cricket! What ever happened to putting the leather to the trail and figuring it out for yourself.

My only advice to you is make a folder full of info on each hunt you put in for. Add to that folder every year. Then you wont have to ask strangers for candy next time.

I also drew this tag (first time drawing in AK as well).i have spent a little time in the area. And read all the threads I have decided to spend my spring up that way walking the ridges for blackies with my son. I am really exited about the hunts his fall that area is a beautiful place to stomp around. I will wish you the best of luck after I get my bull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishhunting View Post
    Dangit Ive wanted this one for so long. Do some research! its. not. that. hard. I mean good luck and all...but jimminy cricket! What ever happened to putting the leather to the trail and figuring it out for yourself.

My only advice to you is make a folder full of info on each hunt you put in for. Add to that folder every year. Then you wont have to ask strangers for candy next time.
    You should feel proud that you are an expert on every hunt you have ever put in for before you put in for it. To the OP, Brians advice is spot on, it's about getting up high and being in the right place at the right time. Be in great shape before the hunt, it's a pretty physically demanding one. I found my caribou 12.2miles from the trailhead at the top of the mountain. I utilized my mountain bike and it worked out well for me, and I am not really a biker. If you have a buddy, bring him.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Last couple of years on this forum there has been some good threads on this hunt from members drawing this tag. Good source of information, stories that other members shared from their hunts, and pictures of their success. Those would be worth searching and reading.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishhunting View Post

Part of doing research is asking people who have been there and done it. A hunting forum is for sharing things about hunting including draw hunts. Don't want to share move on. You could have just as easily shared a small tidbit of info instead of taking time to blast someone for asking a question. Makes me angry to see hunters attacking each other when they could focus that energy on the groups that deserve it.

Everything I know about it, as I want this tag above everythign else, is don't go caribou hunting, go sheep hunting.