Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sled for hauling heavy equipment.

Default New sled for hauling heavy equipment.

DSCN3183.jpgTested our new sled for hauling equipment. Worked perfect. Hauled the tractor from Pt. Mac to Alexander creek in three hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My kid probably put that tractor together. Break it so he can fly out and catch some pike.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

DSCN3163.jpgDSCN3168.jpgSled adjust for wheel base. Pulled the tractor which weighs 3,500 lbs with one SWT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtofak View Post
    My kid probably put that tractor together. Break it so he can fly out and catch some pike.

Yeah, it sure is pretty with all that orange!

I would really like to have a tractor like that. They are sweet!

How hard were the trails? Did you have problems due to lack of snow? Ice cleats on your machine? Who built the sled? It looks like it got the job done!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtofak View Post
    I would really like to have a tractor like that. They are sweet!

How hard were the trails? Did you have problems due to lack of snow? Ice cleats on your machine? Who built the sled? It looks like it got the job done!
    Trails were hard but we just had 3 inches of snow, so nice for hauling. Just screws in the track. One of the guys that hauls for me built the sled and He did a fine job too! We haul freight on the lower Susitna and Beluga. Hauling in a 500 gallon av gas tank and trailer on wheels in tomorrow. You just line up the runners for the wheel base and just drive or pull the load on, strap it down and go!

Anything holding down the back wheels? If not it would seem to me that there might be a chance of the rear shifting off the sled.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Anything holding down the back wheels? If not it would seem to me that there might be a chance of the rear shifting off the sled.
    Where the back wheels are is a metal plate with a lip on the inside. Thinking about drilling some holes and putting cable or rope thru so you can strap down the back if needed. This is our first run and I am sure we will do some fine tuning. Skags are a must also.

Looks like a nice simple design that should last.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    DSCN3168.jpgPulled the tractor which weighs 3,500 lbs with one SWT.
    DUUUUuuuuDE!! (did I pronounce that correctly?)

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    What purpose do the blocks under the front end serve?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Nice. Fish Creek must have a gentle bank this year? And that tractor doesn't weigh 3500 without the loader and hoe, but the sled's still interesting. Why didn't you just drive it in?

Why did you pull it facing forward? It looks like the sled was made for bigger tires against the hitch bar? A few years ago a friend pulled a significantly bigger tractor up the Yentna. He built skis/skids for each side. Clever. The conditions were softer, the final hill was long, and it took several machines but they got it in. River innovation is always fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Nice. Fish Creek must have a gentle bank this year? And that tractor doesn't weigh 3500 without the loader and hoe, but the sled's still interesting. Why didn't you just drive it in?
    The point being is that the tractor and the sled weighed about 3,500 hundred and the sled pulls and slides so easy that we used 1 snow machine to pull it. Didn't drive it in because as I stated we were testing our new sled. Also if Fish creek didn't have gentle banks, which it never does then we build a ramp which we always do.

How old is your SWT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Why did you pull it facing forward? It looks like the sled was made for bigger tires against the hitch bar? A few years ago a friend pulled a significantly bigger tractor up the Yentna. He built skis/skids for each side. Clever. The conditions were softer, the final hill was long, and it took several machines but they got it in. River innovation is always fun to watch.

We didn't design it for one way or the other. If it works it works. Today I will be pulling a Av gas trailer on wheels. I did turn that backwards as the hitch would be in the way otherwise. Perhaps we should have run the blue prints by you first?

It was a simple question. Pardon me for asking. I'll lose your number.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    DUUUUuuuuDE!! (did I pronounce that correctly?)

What purpose do the blocks under the front end serve?
    Because the cross bar on the bottom was rubbing against the bar for the hitch.

It was a simple question. Pardon me for asking. I'll lose your number.
    Don't get your panties in a wad Mr. Pid, I'm just messing with you. I will be the first one to admit when I want to know something about just about anything to do with aircraft, bush building, communications, and many other subjects, I listen and usually implement what you suggest. In other words I value your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    How old is your SWT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have several of them. The ones in the pics are early 2000's. My new one is a 2011 800 four stroke and it has 14,000 miles on it. We have an expedition 800 four stroke with 8,000 on it. Love both of them but Ski Doo quit making the 800. I have an LX Polaris wide track with 10,500 on it and the motor is still strong!

Pretty impressive. It don't have to be perfect, it just has to be good. I'm also impressed with the mileage on your work sleds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast